ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 39 of 3903
« First < 293536373839 4041424349891395391039 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:47 PM 03-03-2020
Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY:
So what is the CDC paying our favorite football BB self-proclaimed scientist to post on the subject today?
You a conspiracy nutter now? Makes sense, I suppose.
[Reply]
Fish 04:08 PM 03-03-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
You a conspiracy nutter now? Makes sense, I suppose.
BIG_DUMMY likes to follow me around these days and call me names because he thinks I had him banned from the Science is Cool thread. It was his own typical anti-vaxx nonsense of course, and I had nothing to do with it. Regardless, he's been butthurt ever since...
[Reply]
suzzer99 05:01 PM 03-03-2020
https://www.businessinsider.com/new-...r-cough-2020-3

Originally Posted by :
When a 35-year-old man went to a New York City hospital with a fever, a cough, and aches, emergency-room staffers put him in isolation and suited up in gowns, gloves, and goggles. He'd recently returned from a business trip to Japan, where at least 230 people have tested positive for the new coronavirus.

Doctors at the NYU Langone Health—Cobble Hill emergency department in Brooklyn suspected he might have COVID-19, the illness caused by the new virus. Tests for 20 other viruses came back negative, including five strains of flu. But the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention denied the hospital's request to test for the novel coronavirus, the man told Business Insider, because his condition wasn't severe enough to hospitalize him.

Officials even told the hospital that the patient could resume life as normal, including taking the subway to his workplace in midtown Manhattan, he said.

"They kind of left me in this state which was kind of a choose-your-own-adventure," the man said. Business Insider confirmed his identity and reviewed paperwork from his hospital visit but is keeping the man anonymous for security reasons.

"If this turns into a pandemic or whatever this is, it shouldn't come down to individual decisions," he added.
Originally Posted by :
The man said his doctor did not agree with the CDC's verdict and recommended ways the patient could quarantine himself at home. He's taking the advice, though he still doesn't know for sure whether he has COVID-19.
Originally Posted by :
"In New York state, the [first] person who tested positive was only the 32nd test we've done in this state — that is a national scandal," Matthew McCarthy, a Manhattan physician and assistant professor of medicine at Cornell, told CNBC on Monday.

South Korea, by contrast, has implemented free coronavirus-testing drive-thrus and tested more than 109,000 people.
What in the hell? Why can S. Korea test so many and we've only got like 1500 tests for the whole country? Is it because China won't sell us the tests or something?
[Reply]
TLO 05:07 PM 03-03-2020
MSNBC is touting around a 3.4% mortality rate now. Which obviously isn't fully accurate, but meh.
[Reply]
Fish 05:08 PM 03-03-2020

[Reply]
FD 05:20 PM 03-03-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
What in the hell? Why can S. Korea test so many and we've only got like 1500 tests for the whole country? Is it because China won't sell us the tests or something?
They have completely bungled the tests issue. It should be a major scandal.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 05:21 PM 03-03-2020
https://www.businessinsider.com/new-...r-cough-2020-3

If you try to answer that you will get slammed for trying to politicize the outbreak.
[Reply]
suzzer99 05:47 PM 03-03-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
MSNBC is touting around a 3.4% mortality rate now. Which obviously isn't fully accurate, but meh.
I think the real mortality rate, assuming first-world care and enough beds, is probably something like S. Korea's .5% - considering how aggressively they're actually testing.

Real mortality rate isn't even that helpful though since so many people will have it and be asymptomatic. Mortality rate once you get sick is probably what people will want to know most - controlling for age and other conditions.
[Reply]
TLO 05:50 PM 03-03-2020
I think the real mortality rate, assuming first-world care and enough beds, is probably something like S. Korea's .5% - considering how aggressively they're actually testing.

Real mortality rate isn't even that helpful though since so many people will have it and be asymptomatic. Mortality rate once you get sick is probably what people will want to know most - controlling for age and other conditions.
Seems like a good estimate. I think we're going to see an increase in testing in the US in the coming days and weeks. Which will inevitably lead to more cases and panic amongst the masses. I'm trying to keep things in prospective right now. I don't have the energy to endlessly worry about this anymore..
[Reply]
suzzer99 06:43 PM 03-03-2020
I'm not that worried about myself personally - but my 79-year old Dad is a concern, and I just found out my mom has hypertension - which I didn't know. The goal imo is to keep them safe until a vaccine comes out in a year and a half or whatever. It won't fully protect them, but it may lessen the severity if they get it (assuming it works like the flu vaccine).
[Reply]
BWillie 07:07 PM 03-03-2020
What is the mortality rate for a 35 year old compared to the regular flu?

What is the mortality rate for a 70 year old compared to the regular flu?

Is one exponentially higher for each?
[Reply]
wazu 07:11 PM 03-03-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
What is the mortality rate for a 35 year old compared to the regular flu?

What is the mortality rate for a 70 year old compared to the regular flu?

Is one exponentially higher for each?
Rates are a subject of much debate, but yes this is far more deadly than normal flu.
[Reply]
BWillie 07:50 PM 03-03-2020
Originally Posted by wazu:
Rates are a subject of much debate, but yes this is far more deadly than normal flu.
I realize this but what I'm looking to find out is how much more deadly is it than the flu for young adults or middle aged adults? If it's only say 5x more deadly than the flu for adults, but 50x more dangerous than the flu for old people then we can plan accordingly and decide how much exposure we really care about.
[Reply]
wazu 08:00 PM 03-03-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I realize this but what I'm looking to find out is how much more deadly is it than the flu for young adults or middle aged adults? If it's only say 5x more deadly than the flu for adults, but 50x more dangerous than the flu for old people then we can plan accordingly and decide how much exposure we really care about.
Your 50X number is in the ballpark. Influenza is something like .1% death rate. COVID-19 is looking more like 3%-6.5%. It also seems to be exponentially worse for old people, so for younger people it would be much lower.

There's a possibility that death rate won't be that bad long term. It sounds like most of the dead in china are elderly men who smoked most of their lives. Smoking rates are lower in other countries. That said, so far we don't have any evidence in the U.S. that the death rate will be lower.
[Reply]
Strongside 08:07 PM 03-03-2020
Originally Posted by wazu:
Your 50X number is in the ballpark. Influenza is something like .1% death rate. COVID-19 is looking more like 3%-6.5%. It also seems to be exponentially worse for old people, so for younger people it would be much lower.

There's a possibility that death rate won't be that bad long term. It sounds like most of the dead in china are elderly men who smoked most of their lives. Smoking rates are lower in other countries. That said, so far we don't have any evidence in the U.S. that the death rate will be lower.
The mortality rates are all over the place based on country. As someone said before, it's probably closer to the .5% rate seen in Korea as they're actually texting people en masse.
[Reply]
Page 39 of 3903
« First < 293536373839 4041424349891395391039 > Last »
Up