ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1025 of 3903
« First < 25525925975101510211022102310241025 102610271028102910351075112515252025 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 10:53 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Wasn't our death rate like 1.2% or some shit like a week ago? It's already going up. Don't think it comes close to 10% though.
It was. And it was 2.5% the weeks before that.
[Reply]
jd1020 10:53 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
It was. And it was 2.5% the weeks before that.
So hardly consistent?
[Reply]
Monticore 10:54 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
I understand what’s being said.

Just don’t understand the logics behind it
They think your body is better able to fight it when there is less of it in your system, working theory it didn't get into more detail.
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 10:54 AM 04-02-2020
Good article on China Flu and exit strategy

https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/202...rles-lockwood/
[Reply]
petegz28 10:54 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I don't think it's very realistic to not think it's going to increase.
Okay but that doesn't make us Italy. Increase does not mean 10%.
[Reply]
Donger 10:54 AM 04-02-2020
The rate has gone from 2.5%ish to 1.2%ish back to 2.5%ish. We have been consistently well below that of Italy.
When was it 2.5% before now?
[Reply]
petegz28 10:55 AM 04-02-2020
So hardly consistent?
Consistently well below Italy. Not even hardly.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:55 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefs4TheWin:
Going to get worse before it gets better for sure.
It's just frustrating to try to plow through the noise.

Because the curve 'bends' when growth rates decline, right? And if you go back to, say, March 22 - there are a lot of days where you see gains in day over day growth. Numbers are getting bigger, obviously, but their percentage growth is getting smaller. Part of that is a larger N, but again - that's a simple reality of flattening a curve. It's a necessary first step towards stalling growth outright and a clear sign of progress.

The problem with trying to extrapolate meaningful information though, is the reporting. Put it day over day and there are a lot of 8-9% increases in growth. There are a few 2-4% increases in growth. And then there are 3 days w/ 21, 22 and 29% increases in growth.

Well shit - that has to be signal noise, right? It isn't as though one day there was ACTUALLY a 2% increase in growth and the next a 22% increase in growth. It was a reporting/testing thing.

So the best you can do is plot the whole damn thing and get yourself a trend line. I went ahead and did it and we are showing an improved trendline in growth rate. The trendline has it cut roughly in half over that 10 day period.

But its undeniably true that things will continue to get worse before they get better. Day over day raw number growth is probably going to continue to get worse for a period of time nationwide. But so long as that growth rate trendline continues down, you're continuing to bend the models and make progress. Now done exponentially or logarithmically you can see the trendline flattening out a bit later in it curve so we may see slower gains there in the relatively near term, but we're still seeing gains. And 10 data points aren't enough for a whole lot of information, but if I had added additional days on the front side, those were major growth days that will only steepen the curve and I think incorrectly.

There simply isn't going to be a VC day where we have a clear victory over Coronavirus. It's gonna be a slog.
[Reply]
jd1020 10:56 AM 04-02-2020
Consistently well below Italy. Not even hardly.
You are back pedaling now. You never made the distinction of it being "consistently below Italy."
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:56 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
True, but if the goal is an R0 at/below 1, there is a level of 'heightened and modified' daily life that can be resumed.

If you aren't showing symptoms but you ARE doing things like keeping up heightened levels of hygiene, avoiding prolonged close contact w/ others and keeping yourself away from at-risk populations, you can still operate at, what, 70% normal?

I just think too many people are acting as though there's NO distinction worth drawing between the openly sick (symptomatic) and those that are asymptomatic.

I still think one of the most fascinating things I've seen on this is the distinction between case progression and initial viral load. It seems more and more likely that people who get hit with this in a big wave at the front are wholly unequipped to deal with it and those are the folks who's bodies are prone to those cytokine storms where their body just goes into overdrive trying to catch up and they end up with horrifying outcomes.

People who get this from some kind of minimal contact w/ touching a handle with small amounts of virus on it and exposing themselves to low initial viral loads are believed to handle it very well. Those that are inhaling when someone sneezes in their face...well not so much there. That's the prevailing theory on healthcare workers as well - they're just taking a constant storm early on in their body's battle with it.

Asymptomatic carriers theoretically carry an equal viral load, but they don't actually expel/expose people as heavily IF they maintain those initial precautions (hygeine, etc...). Catching it from an asymptomatic carrier is likely to yield a less extreme outcome, in other words. Again, just based on information as we're processing it and of course over large numbers. There will undoubtedly be exceptions in both directions.

I think we miss the mark if we don't recognize some pretty key distinctions in how symptomatic vs. asymptomatic appears to be operating on the ground.
Interesting... I read a theory or two on asymptomatic carriers, but that was a couple weeks ago and I know those theories are constantly evolving.

We do tend to lose focus on the basics when there's so much panic...
CDC, a few weeks ago: Wash your hands and don't touch your face.
A couple weeks ago: That's obviously too hard, better practice social distancing.
10 days ago: Ok, shut it down... dumbasses.

And I know that's generalizing it and we're still learning about how contagious it is when it comes to surface contact vs. coughing on someone vs. simply talking and breathing in close quarters, etc.

I never get general flu symptoms (not to say I wouldn't get Covid symptoms) and I'm admittedly pretty clueless on how contagious I've been or would be. This is good info, albeit info that I know could change tomorrow. :-)
[Reply]
petegz28 10:56 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
When was it 2.5% before now?
Couple weeks ago. You can go see my posts in bayon's thread in DC where I was pointing out on almost a daily basis that we were dropping. Probably could even find some in this thread. Probably even find some of you ridiculing me for pointing it out as well.
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:57 AM 04-02-2020
Mo is not even in the top 20 of cases. In fact, KMBC had an article this morning stating that as hospitals gear up, the virus itself is trending down in the KC metro area.

Man I hope that is right. KC instituted thier lock down what 2 weeks ago?
[Reply]
O.city 10:57 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
i don’t get the “ initial hit has to do with how bad it gets” line.

Maybe I don’t understand enough about viruses but don’t they just multiply once they start infecting you?
They actually infect your cells a use those "machines" in there to multiply. They're sneaky fuckers.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:58 AM 04-02-2020
You are back pedaling now. You never made the distinction of it being "consistently below Italy."
No, I am not. We have consistently been between 2.5% and 1.2% as well
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:59 AM 04-02-2020
BTW like daface pointed out I wouldn't pay any attention to testing\new cases numbers. I read yesterday they have backlogs of hundreds of thousands of tests.
[Reply]
Page 1025 of 3903
« First < 25525925975101510211022102310241025 102610271028102910351075112515252025 > Last »
Up