ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2743 of 3903
« First < 1743224326432693273327392740274127422743 274427452746274727532793284332433743 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 08:14 PM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Is Hamas banned from the thread or has he just not been around?
I'm guessing he just got tired of having the same arguments over and over again.
[Reply]
Eleazar 08:18 PM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
A few observations on Mask wearing.

In my area- Jackson County- I was only seeing maybe 20% of the people wearing mask at stores. Now it is mandetory and for a few weeks now- most everyone had one, even if they were not wearing it properly.

Spent the day up in St. Joe this week. Did not see more than a handful wearing mask.

Got new tires today- and only 1 person, plus myself had a mask on out of 20 folks in and out.
It varies place to place. Here, you go into a store and it seems like 90%+ are wearing masks. Went to church Sunday and of the 250 people allowed to be in the room, I couldn't find a single person not wearing one. Even some of the drug zombies downtown are wearing them.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 08:19 PM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by AustinChief:
herd immunity, mostly based on faulty assumptions that are now being shown as such.
I would love to see where factually herd immunity has been proven to be attainable. Please share that peer reviewed empirical data .
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:20 PM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Yep. Between CA, FL and TX they have over 600 of those. We are just under 200 more deaths this Wednesday compared to last Wednesday so while we are rising we aren't spiking.

As cases have been rolling off in those states for a couple of weeks now we have to hope the deaths start doing the same soon.
This about the time I said we would find out about deaths and we are seeing a rise. And yes I hope it doesn't go higher this is all tragic and I feel for those families that have lost a loved one.

The bad news is Florida is suspending their testing for a week because of the hurricane so we won't have any idea about cases for awhile. Just horrible timing for a state that is already in a shit storm.
[Reply]
AustinChief 08:37 PM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
I would love to see where factually herd immunity has been proven to be attainable. Please share that peer reviewed empirical data .
In history? Are you insane? This is not some kookie new concept. The entire point of a vaccine is to achieve herd immunity.

The idea that herd immunity is NOT attainable for COVID is a bit whacky. We have zero evidence to back up such an assertion and a ton of evidence to the contrary.

We have a study from Singapore that shows that people exposed to SARS 17 years ago have retained cross immunity for the coronavirus. The whole "antibodies fade quickly" thing has been shown to be misleading at best. (o.city has posted MANY MANY times on this topic)

There is no study on herd immunity and this virus because it is still too new. We may be seeing the effects of herd immunity in Sweden right now but it's just too soon to say for certain.,
[Reply]
AustinChief 08:40 PM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Well good news bad news I guess...

Good news: Cases are down 5k compared to last Wednesday

Bad News: Deaths were just short of 1.5k for the first time in almost 2 months

Hopefully we don't see much more of a rise in deaths
Texas changed their reporting and you are seeing the result of that with their numbers. Worldometers shows 300+ for Texas but the real figure is over 200 less.
[Reply]
dlphg9 08:50 PM 07-29-2020
Texas changed their reporting and you are seeing the result of that with their numbers. Worldometers shows 300+ for Texas but the real figure is over 200 less.
Could you explain this please? What'd they change?
[Reply]
AustinChief 08:54 PM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Could you explain this please? What'd they change?
https://www.dshs.texas.gov/news/rele.../20200727.aspx

Originally Posted by :
The Texas Department of State Health Services is improving the reporting of fatalities due to COVID-19 by identifying them through the cause of death listed on death certificates. This method allows fatalities to be counted faster with more comprehensive demographic data. Using death certificates also ensures consistent reporting across the state and enables DSHS to display fatalities by date of death, providing the public with more information about when deaths occurred. The change will be reflected in today’s data when posted online.

A fatality is counted as due to COVID-19 when the medical certifier, usually a doctor with direct knowledge of the patient, determines COVID-19 directly caused the death. This method does not include deaths of people who had COVID-19 but died of an unrelated cause. Death certificates are required by law to be filed within 10 days.

DSHS previously counted COVID-19 fatalities as they were reported publicly by local and regional health departments after they received a notification and verified the death. The length of time that process takes varies by jurisdiction and does not provide timely demographic information on most fatalities.

As of Monday, death certificate data has identified 5,713 fatalities among Texas residents, including 44 newly reported today. That compares with 5,038 deaths reported Sunday under the previous method. DSHS will continue to post the number of additional fatalities reported each day. Fatalities are reported based on where the person lived.
If you want the accurate data for Texas go to...

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...01e8b9cafc8b83

At the rate Texas is currently going (if it holds), the positive test rate should drop to below 5% within a month. I'm sure people will claim that is due to shutting down and bars and mask wearing but since restaurants are open and mask wearing is spotty at best here... I would think there is more to it than just that.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:55 PM 07-29-2020
That's good but what is the change and why?
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 09:36 PM 07-29-2020
In history? Are you insane? This is not some kookie new concept. The entire point of a vaccine is to achieve herd immunity.

The idea that herd immunity is NOT attainable for COVID is a bit whacky. We have zero evidence to back up such an assertion and a ton of evidence to the contrary.

We have a study from Singapore that shows that people exposed to SARS 17 years ago have retained cross immunity for the coronavirus. The whole "antibodies fade quickly" thing has been shown to be misleading at best. (o.city has posted MANY MANY times on this topic)

There is no study on herd immunity and this virus because it is still too new. We may be seeing the effects of herd immunity in Sweden right now but it's just too soon to say for certain.,
You know I was referencing Covid 19 only and herd immunity without a vaccine. If we have a vaccine we don't need to have herd immunity via exposure. But I believe you know that is what I was talking about as are the "others"

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
AustinChief 09:49 PM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
You know I was referencing Covid 19 only and herd immunity without a vaccine. If we have a vaccine we don't need to have herd immunity via exposure. But I believe you know that is what I was talking about as are the "others"

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
What I don't understand is why you would think herd immunity can't be achieved without a vaccine?

If you say it can;t be achieved without x number of lives lost, that is a reasonable assertion... but just saying herd immunity is unattainable without a vaccine is a bit odd given what we currently know.
[Reply]
suzzer99 09:55 PM 07-29-2020
This article has an interesting take on what "herd immunity" actually means with covid.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...avirus/614035/

Originally Posted by :
But she declines to endorse any particular numeric threshold for herd immunity. She’s not comfortable with the idea of a single number at all. What’s important to her, rather, is that people are not misled by the idea of herd immunity. In the context of vaccination, herd-immunity thresholds are relatively fixed and predictable. In the context of an ongoing pandemic, thinking of this threshold as some static concept can be dangerously misleading.
Originally Posted by :
“COVID-19 is the first disease in modern times where the whole world has changed their behavior and disease spread has been reduced,” Britton noted. That made old models and numbers obsolete. Social distancing and other reactive measures changed the R0 value, and they will continue to do so. The virus has certain immutable properties, but there is nothing immutable about how many infections it causes in the real world.

What we seem to need is a better understanding of herd immunity in this novel context. The threshold can change based on how a virus spreads. The spread keeps on changing based on how we react to it at every stage, and the effects compound. Small preventive measures have big downstream effects. In other words, the herd in question determines its immunity. There is no mystery in how to drop the R0 to below 1 and reach an effective herd immunity: masks, social distancing, hand-washing, and everything everyone is tired of hearing about. It is already being done.
Basically while covid innate herd immunity may be something like 60-70%, effective herd immunity could be as low as 20% - assuming all the office drones like me keeping working from home and being careful.

However it seems to be the case that as soon as cases let up, people let their guard down, and the virus plows into a new fresh field of uninfected people. Schools re-opening could be that field.
[Reply]
Fat Elvis 11:46 PM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I'm guessing he just got tired of having the same arguments over and over again.
I couldn't figure out when he last logged in. If I remember correctly, he had some health issues going on, lymphoma perhaps? I hope he is ok.
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:40 AM 07-30-2020
Wow, you're an idiot. You want me to admit I was "wrong" on ideological issues that you disagree with... do you understand how any of this works?

Donger and others have taken a dogmatic stance against herd immunity, mostly based on faulty assumptions that are now being shown as such. I simply think more lives would have been saved and with a higher quality of life had we taken a vastly different approach. It will be a year or two before we have anything resembling "proof" on who was right.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
I guess you missed the memo, Donger only deals in "facts". Sure they are only his interpretation of "facts" but that doesn't stop him making the claim repeatedly.
[Reply]
O.city 07:41 AM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
This article has an interesting take on what "herd immunity" actually means with covid.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...avirus/614035/

Basically while covid innate herd immunity may be something like 60-70%, effective herd immunity could be as low as 20% - assuming all the office drones like me keeping working from home and being careful.

However it seems to be the case that as soon as cases let up, people let their guard down, and the virus plows into a new fresh field of uninfected people. Schools re-opening could be that field.
If there is that much innate immunity, even with opening everything up, the models would have to correct for it and things would be alot different. It's all about chains in transmission and with that much stoppage points, it's not like a brush fire.

At this point, we just don't know for sure.

They also kinda missed on the modeling where people are ping pong balls bouncing all around. For the most part, we have our select groups and areas we go.
[Reply]
Page 2743 of 3903
« First < 1743224326432693273327392740274127422743 274427452746274727532793284332433743 > Last »
Up