ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2683 of 3903
« First < 1683218325832633267326792680268126822683 268426852686268726932733278331833683 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
dirk digler 02:50 PM 07-22-2020

Covid-19 is deadlier than the flu. Studies suggest the new coronavirus virus kills 0.5% to 1% of people infected. A look at the numbers. https://t.co/2d4Z9Garz3 via @Brabbott42 @wsj_douglasj

— Stefanie Ilgenfritz (@stefaniei) July 21, 2020

[Reply]
Pants 03:14 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
My son when he was hospitalized with RSV at 3 weeks hit 37 as we were about to be discharged.
I can't even imagine how difficult that time must have been for you, man. Must have taken everything you had in you to stay strong.
[Reply]
Monticore 03:23 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
I can't even imagine how difficult that time must have been for you, man. Must have taken everything you had in you to stay strong.
Yeah it was tough, having a Doctor as a wife helps she didn’t leave his side 72 hrs straight, almost ended up intubated and being choppered to Sick Kids but it never got to that , he was a premature 5 weeks as well and spent 2 weeks in NICU before that it was a long first few months .
[Reply]
petegz28 03:25 PM 07-22-2020
Interesting....hope this kind of stuff isn't very common

[Reply]
Pants 03:26 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Interesting....hope this kind of stuff isn't very common

I'm sure this is relatively common but I doubt it's enough to be statistically significant at all.
[Reply]
Strongside 03:38 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
It's from May but not much has changed

Coronavirus Cases More Than Double In Chicago’s Latino Community

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/05...inx-community/
I'm just going to say it.

I have several hispanic family members and extended family members. Also a few hispanic neighbors.

While it may sound like a blanket statement, and there are certainly members of the hispanic community who do take COVID seriously, the bulk of the latino people I know seem to not give 2 shits about this virus. No masks, house parties, birthday parties, large social gatherings, etc.

There are pockets of that in all communities and races, sure. But I'll be damned if it's not the overwhelming norm in the hispanic communities I interact with.
[Reply]
TLO 03:42 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
From within your article (and a link from within your article as well)

Originally Posted by :
Researchers in the U.S. and Switzerland examined data from the Swiss city of Geneva to calculate fatality rates for different age groups. They found those over 65 had an infection-fatality rate of 5.6%—40 times the risk of someone in their 50s.
https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journ...20)30584-3.pdf

Check out the IFR differences in age groups from that link.
[Reply]
lewdog 03:45 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by Strongside:

I have several hispanic family members and extended family members. Also a few hispanic neighbors.

While it may sound like a blanket statement, and there are certainly members of the hispanic community who do take COVID seriously, the bulk of the latino people I know seem to not give 2 shits about this virus. No masks, house parties, birthday parties, large social gatherings, etc.

There are pockets of that in all communities and races, sure. But I'll be damned if it's not the overwhelming norm in the hispanic communities I interact with.
I’ll admit it, same thing here. It’s very noticeable. Still having large gatherings all the time. Hispanic Coworker here had her family throw a massive family gathering in May. 50 people, all family, and 19 of them got COVID from it and a few of the grandparents died.

Most here wear masks in public I find, but they have a hard time social distancing from their family they don’t live with. Relates to socioeconomic status and education IMO.
[Reply]
KCUnited 03:45 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by Strongside:

It's definitely the case in the Hispanic neighborhood I live which at one point had the highest number of cases than any other zip code in the city. That said, at least here, it is a working class neighborhood (I picked a great time to become the face of gentrification) where the majority of jobs are essential and they're proud to go in. The work from home concept as an option is about as foreign as Pace picante sauce here.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 03:47 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
If interested:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...inorities.html

As of June 12, 2020, age-adjusted hospitalization rates are highest among non-Hispanic American Indian or Alaska Native and non-Hispanic black persons, followed by Hispanic or Latino persons.
  • Non-Hispanic American Indian or Alaska Native persons have a rate approximately 5 times that of non-Hispanic white persons,
  • non-Hispanic black persons have a rate approximately 5 times that of non-Hispanic white persons,
  • Hispanic or Latino persons have a rate approximately 4 times that of non-Hispanic white persons.
That's interesting but let's not act like whites have been perfect. No one has and plenty of blame to go around w all ethic groups. Just cause one sucks more than the others doesnt mean whites have been good at not spreading the virus.
[Reply]
lewdog 03:56 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
That's interesting but let's not act like whites have been perfect. No one has and plenty of blame to go around w all ethic groups. Just cause one sucks more than the others doesnt mean whites have been good at not spreading the virus.
Regardless of race is seems to follow socioeconomic status and education, if we are just generalizing.
[Reply]
dirk digler 04:05 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
From within your article (and a link from within your article as well)

https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journ...20)30584-3.pdf

Check out the IFR differences in age groups from that link.
Yep and Covid is more deadly to certain age groups than others just like the flu but it is significantly deadlier.
[Reply]
petegz28 04:10 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Yep and Covid is more deadly to certain age groups than others just like the flu but it is significantly deadlier.
Yeah, well in some ways. It is more deadly than the flu to the elderly and high risk. But the flu is deadlier to younger groups especially children. Maybe that's what you're saying?
[Reply]
SAUTO 04:17 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Yeah, well in some ways. It is more deadly than the flu to the elderly and high risk. But the flu is deadlier to younger groups especially children. Maybe that's what you're saying?
I didn't read it that way.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 04:17 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Regardless of race is seems to follow socioeconomic status and education, if we are just generalizing.
Right. I agree completely.
[Reply]
Page 2683 of 3903
« First < 1683218325832633267326792680268126822683 268426852686268726932733278331833683 > Last »
Up