ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2643 of 3903
« First < 1643214325432593263326392640264126422643 264426452646264726532693274331433643 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
RINGLEADER 11:53 AM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
I wonder if we'll hit the 100,000 daily cases that Fauci warned about. Let's hope not.
I think we will.

In Los Angeles there is about a 50/50 rate of wearing masks. Everything is supposed to be shut down but most restaurants and other places of business are open. It doesn’t surprise me at all that there’s a spike.

Maybe people were tired of the lockdown. Maybe they saw the protests and figured it was okay to come out.

Anyway, I think more younger people are obviously contracting it and that’s going to bring the death rate down but you’re still going to see a lot of people getting it and a lot of people dying unless they really lock down again which I doubt happens.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:57 AM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
I think we will.

In Los Angeles there is about a 50/50 rate of wearing masks. Everything is supposed to be shut down but most restaurants and other places of business are open. It doesn’t surprise me at all that there’s a spike.

Maybe people were tired of the lockdown. Maybe they saw the protests and figured it was okay to come out.

Anyway, I think more younger people are obviously contracting it and that’s going to bring the death rate down but you’re still going to see a lot of people getting it and a lot of people dying unless they really lock down again which I doubt happens.
There are a lot of reasons for people not following the "orders". But I have to defend these people who own or work in small businesses that are told "too bad you're shut down now go figure out another way to pay your rent and feed your family".

I believe Dane said his hair stylist is supposedly shut down but the rent is still due. How do you expect someone to go along with that?
[Reply]
sedated 12:04 PM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Now that is a solid source!!

I'm curious if this is sarcasm
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:06 PM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by sedated:
I'm curious if this is sarcasm
Hi, Baby Lee. . . nice to meet'cha.

Which is to say, no.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 12:07 PM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
There are a lot of reasons for people not following the "orders". But I have to defend these people who own or work in small businesses that are told "too bad you're shut down now go figure out another way to pay your rent and feed your family".

I believe Dane said his hair stylist is supposedly shut down but the rent is still due. How do you expect someone to go along with that?
You don't have a right to provide for yourself.
[Reply]
petegz28 12:13 PM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
You don't have a right to provide for yourself.
Apparently not.....
[Reply]
Pants 12:20 PM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I guess that's interesting, but it's unclear to me what the mechanism is supposed to be that would cause that. If it's that people stop obeying social distancing rules after a while, I guess that makes sense. I'm just not sure what the policy implications are when they don't really explain why they think it's happening.
I read the article. It's actually pretty interesting and addresses "social distancing only" and the diminishing returns. It was summarized in the end with this analogy:

“Bending the curve using social distancing alone is analogous to slowing down the front of a raging wildfire without extinguishing the glowing embers,” said Chakrabarty, whose other line of research focuses on the impacts of wildfires on climate and health.

“They are waiting to start their own fires once the wind carries them away.”

The article is not at all saying there's no merit to social distancing, however, which is how I envision certain people thinking when they see the title.
[Reply]
dirk digler 12:36 PM 07-17-2020
Crazy how contagious Covid is.

Originally Posted by :
Rams offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth announced on an NFLPA conference call Friday that he was one.

Whitworth shared his story in hopes of showing how quickly the virus can spread and how it “innocently” can be passed on to older, higher-risk individuals.

“I think for us to really identify when we say you’re going to have to make safe decisions, and you’re going to have to be safe outside the building, we’re talking about things as simple as going to lunch with someone,”

Whitworth said. “All it takes is one exposure. That’s the reality. My story is an example of that. We had a family member that simply just went to lunch with a friend as innocent as it can be. A couple of days later we were traveling all together, and she started not feeling well and decided to go get a test. The next thing we know she had it. A couple of days later, my wife and I had it. A couple of days after that, our kids had it. So we were about seven for seven at that point, and unfortunately, we had just visited my wife’s family and were traveling with them as well and her mom and dad both got it.”

Whitworth’s father-in-law needed hospitalization, leaving Whitworth and the rest of the family shaken for a few days.

“We got him home four or five days ago, and he’s home now,” Whitworth said. “We’re very blessed to have him and him be OK. But it was definitely a scary thing and a realization of how contagious this really is. It doesn’t take much, and it can spread like wildfire.

“For us, it affected us personally. It was scary. For our family and our kids, we ended up OK, and everything seemed to go pretty normal, a pretty mild case. But for her parents, it wasn’t that way.”

[Reply]
Marcellus 01:05 PM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I never said anything about a "year long battle" nor did I mention Italy or any other country.

The United States isn't Italy or any other country for that matter.

The US caseload is breaking records every day, so how can any one be optimistic about this virus dying out?
Funny how everyone used Italy and other counties as examples of what the US is going to turn into and now its "the US isn't Italy".

Is NY still climbing? Is Washington state still climbing where the first outbreak occurred? Is anywhere they had an initial outbreak still climbing or even near their peak levels?

The places seeing spikes are the places that haven't been through it yet.

SW Missouri was a hot bed 2 weeks ago and made national news, its steady declining. We have gone from 28 active cases at work to 1 in the last 2 weeks.

I don't understand why people don't believe this thing is simply running its course to some extent. Yea we can mitigate to a degree and for the most part we are with masks and social distancing.

Seems this was the whole point of flattening the curve, the numbers under the flattened curve don't shrink, its just spread out.
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:08 PM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Crazy how contagious Covid is.
Meanwhile today we just had yet another employee released to work who tested negative after their spouse was positive.

I swear its like there are 2 different bugs.
[Reply]
TLO 01:14 PM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:

The places seeing spikes are the places that haven't been through it yet.

SW Missouri was a hot bed 2 weeks ago and made national news, its steady declining. We have gone from 28 active cases at work to 1 in the last 2 weeks.

I've actually pondered on this about NW Missouri. We had the big Triumph outbreak in May, and had an assisted living facility get hit hard recently, but our overall trend is very much down. Our R0 is well below 1. Our hospitalizations are steady. Did w we already go through the storm without realizing it? Or are we just on a lucky streak?
[Reply]
O.city 01:20 PM 07-17-2020
The fact that there are some that are in close quarters with others but don't get it to me, says something about there being some immunity.
[Reply]
phisherman 01:20 PM 07-17-2020
https://www.cerner.com/covid-19/predictive-models

Some interesting models done by Cerner. Says bed peaks are past for both Johnson County, KS and for Jackson County, MO.
[Reply]
petegz28 01:22 PM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I've actually pondered on this about NW Missouri. We had the big Triumph outbreak in May, and had an assisted living facility get hit hard recently, but our overall trend is very much down. Our R0 is well below 1. Our hospitalizations are steady. Did w we already go through the storm without realizing it? Or are we just on a lucky streak?
JoCo has seen a big rise in cases but it is not translating into hospitalizations or deaths. They won't say where they care coming from but I do know there have been some outbreaks at care facilities. There have also been some high school students test positive but again it doesn't appear like these are translating into anything at the moment.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:22 PM 07-17-2020
Funny how everyone used Italy and other counties as examples of what the US is going to turn into and now its "the US isn't Italy".

Is NY still climbing? Is Washington state still climbing where the first outbreak occurred? Is anywhere they had an initial outbreak still climbing or even near their peak levels?
:-)

Whataboutism? Lame, as expected.

I don't understand why people don't believe this thing is simply running its course to some extent.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and it's because the US continues to break the number of COVID infections each day with, 77,255 yesterday alone.

That number does not indicate that it's "running its course".

Seems this was the whole point of flattening the curve, the numbers under the flattened curve don't shrink, its just spread out.
:-)

In Texas and Arizona, morgues are filling up and officials are bringing in refrigerated trailers to store bodies so it's definitely spreading while continuing to hospitalize and kill people across the nation.
[Reply]
Page 2643 of 3903
« First < 1643214325432593263326392640264126422643 264426452646264726532693274331433643 > Last »
Up