ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2593 of 3903
« First < 1593209324932543258325892590259125922593 259425952596259726032643269330933593 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 08:44 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I saw it recently, it was definitely interesting.

I'm just thinking this thing out forward. If Sweden is indeed basically done with it at this point, thats pretty advantageous. Now, what they went thru to get there was short term pain, but if indeed other countries end up passing them on their long slog thru, that changes.
But again, they're not "basically done." Sweden's residents are staying home and not spending money just like everyone else - they're just not being forced to do it.

Your ASSUMPTION is that their declines are due to some level of immunity, but nothing has actually shown that is likely to be the case.
[Reply]
O.city 08:48 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
There are plenty of examples of it. Not here, of course, except for places like NY.
They haven't done much to reopen yet last i saw, so do we really know yet?
[Reply]
Donger 08:49 AM 07-14-2020
They haven't done much to reopen yet last i saw, so do we really know yet?
https://forward.ny.gov/

New York City is in Phase 3. Other regions are in Phase 4.
[Reply]
O.city 08:49 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
But again, they're not "basically done." Sweden's residents are staying home and not spending money just like everyone else - they're just not being forced to do it.

Your ASSUMPTION is that their declines are due to some level of immunity, but nothing has actually shown that is likely to be the case.
Their curve looks to similar to me for it not to be the case. Maybe not.

I'm hopeful there's something to the 20% population theory and the places that have blown past that are due to massive overshot.
[Reply]
O.city 08:51 AM 07-14-2020
https://forward.ny.gov/

New York City is in Phase 3. Other regions are in Phase 4.
So you think it's solely because of their actions and how're they're opening and has nothing to do with any immunity to this thing?
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 08:51 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Did you ever get an antibody test done?
Scheduled for the 28th.
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:51 AM 07-14-2020
If 40% of cases are asymptomatic and these other countries are only testing those with symptoms, how many are they really catching though?

Vietnam was aggressive\decisive when they got their first few cases and did mass testing and quarantine of people. They have one of the best testing numbers in the world. Same with Taiwan.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-exemplar-vietnam

But in all fairness the USA is alot different( ie government structure) then most of these countries. Sweden basically provides your life for you so their citizens don't have the concerns like ours.

But there is no question we should have been 1000000% more aggressive with our actions.
[Reply]
O.city 08:53 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Vietnam was aggressive\decisive when they got their first few cases and did mass testing and quarantine of people. They have one of the best testing numbers in the world. Same with Taiwan.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-exemplar-vietnam

But in all fairness the USA is alot different( ie government structure) then most of these countries. Sweden basically provides your life for you so their citizens don't have the concerns like ours.

But there is no question we should have been 1000000% more aggressive with our actions.
If we had geared up our testing to be what it is now, in March and April, we'd be a WHOLE lot better off.

Thats not really arguable.
[Reply]
Donger 08:54 AM 07-14-2020
So you think it's solely because of their actions and how're they're opening and has nothing to do with any immunity to this thing?
I/we don't know. Last I saw, they had antibody rates of around 15% I wouldn't think that that's what is required for herd immunity.

We do know that this is spread by humans.
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:58 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
That's kinda been my take on it all along. It is not going away. You can do all the masks and distancing and locking and canceling you want but it is not going away. All it takes is one person and it flares back up.

My stance has been therapeutic treatments first, vaccines second. Simply because a Vaccine won't fix you get it. By the same token, if we can treat it effectively then the vaccine is icing.

I thought the basic idea of a vaccine for Covid was so you don't get it or am I misunderstanding?
[Reply]
Monticore 08:58 AM 07-14-2020
If we had geared up our testing to be what it is now, in March and April, we'd be a WHOLE lot better off.

Thats not really arguable.
I think anywhere that opens will have to deal with new cases, the places that will do better than others will be the ones where the population are being reasonable and responsible and they have government who are aggressive in testing and tracing.
[Reply]
O.city 08:59 AM 07-14-2020

"(I)nfection depends as well on the route of exposure, the size of inoculum, the duration of exposure, and host defenses"

YES this! Airborne transmission is more complicated than just particles or viral RNA detection. I appreciated this balanced review.https://t.co/tBARLN37c9

— Dr. Angela Rasmussen (@angie_rasmussen) July 14, 2020

Really good article breakdown about spread.
[Reply]
O.city 09:00 AM 07-14-2020
I/we don't know. Last I saw, they had antibody rates of around 15% I wouldn't think that that's what is required for herd immunity.

We do know that this is spread by humans.
Now we're finding that some have some built in immunity to this thing so hopefully that paired with the humoral response gets us there.

We'll see.
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:00 AM 07-14-2020
I am not a big fan of the WHO but I like Dr. Ryan

[Reply]
petegz28 09:03 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I thought the basic idea of a vaccine for Covid was so you don't get it or am I misunderstanding?
If you have the virus then a vaccine does little. And as we have seen with the flu vaccine people still get the flu for various reasons.

My faith in all of this is a vaccine is great and all but I would be much more confident if we knew how to treat it effectively if you do get it.
[Reply]
Page 2593 of 3903
« First < 1593209324932543258325892590259125922593 259425952596259726032643269330933593 > Last »
Up