ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Mock 2/8/21
kccrow 01:06 AM 02-08-2021
Watching the Super Bowl made 2 things clear to me:
1) The NFL appears at times to definitely alter games, even if most games don't offer the same type of blatant bias that this Super Bowl did. I can't lie, this game has seriously affected me to the point where I question bothering to watch. If there's this type of clear-cut agenda in the NFL, then it's obviously the WWE reincarnate. That's not the type of entertainment I'm after. Perhaps I'm overreacting, which leads me to my next point...
2) If the Chiefs are to compete, officials be damned, then they need to fix the offensive line. There is no doubt that this offense REQUIRES two good offensive tackles to function. Pat can do a lot of things, but if pressure can get home off the edge then he's damned.

Restructures/Extensions
Restructure QB Patrick Mahomes and WR Tyreek Hill roster bonuses into signing bonuses
Chiefs ask LT Eric Fisher to take a pay cut to 2 million for 2021 rather than outright cut him, he obliges.
Extend SS Tyrann Mathieu for 3 years.

Re-Sign FAs
OG/T Mike Remmers - 1 year VSB for $1,075,000 and $137,500 bonus that counts against the cap as $ 887,500
DT Mike Pennel - 1 year VSB for $1,075,000 and $137,500 bonus that counts against the cap as $ 887,500
ER Taco Charlton - 1 year VSB for $990,000 and $137,500 bonus that counts against the cap as $ 887,500
WR Byron Pringle - 1 year vet min $920,000
LB Ben Niemann - 1 year vet min $920,000
SS Daniel Sorensen - 2 years, $ 7.5 m

Tenders
CB Charvarius Ward, 2nd Rd RFA Tender at $ 3,422,000
TE Nick Kiezer, ERFA Tender at $675,000
CB DeAndre Baker ERFA Tender at $750,000 (Making an assumption here that him being an ERFA is correct, apparently depends on the contract he signed)

Sign FAs
WR John Ross (CIN) - 1 year vet min $990,000 with incentives up to 2.0 m
SS Lano Hill (SEA) - 1 year vet min for $990,000
WR Rashard Higgins (CLE) - 3 years, $ 20.0 m

Draft

Round 1 | 12 - OT Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech
The Chiefs have to address LT for the future in the wake of Eric Fisher's most untimely injury. Darrisaw is a plug-and-play left tackle with outstanding athleticism and great footwork. I have the Chiefs mortgaging a bit of the future to ensure their star QB is protected. They give up their 2021 1st round pick #31, 2022 1st round pick, and 2021 4th round pick to our old friend in San Francisco for their 1st round pick #12
Round 2 | 63 - DE Joe Tryon, Washington
Tryon isn't the most polished player in the DE group but he can absolutely bring the heat off the edge. Once he learns to play consistently with his hand down and set the edge versus the run, he's going to be a dangerous player.
Round 3 | 94 - OG Aaron Banks, Notre Dame
The Chiefs have to move on from experiments on the O-line and start getting some hogs. Banks is a big boy at 330 lbs but he can move extremely well. He won't be the greatest we've ever seen in the screen game, but he can get out there and he can get to the second level. Most importantly, he's nearly impossible to get around inside and is a top-shelf pass blocker that also gets plus movement in the run game.
Round 4 | 140 (Comp) - WR Marquez Stevenson, Houston
I have the Chiefs getting some veteran help at receiver so they don't have to press in the draft. I wish there were the same option at LT but that's not really the case. Stevenson is an electric player that doesn't get a ton of love coming out of Houston.
Round 5 | 171 - OT Adrian Ealy, Oklahoma
Depth is going to be important going forward and I see Ealy as a great swing option at OT.
Round 5 | 175 (Comp) - TE Tre McKitty, Georgia
McKitty is a developmental TE but he has a good chance to contribute as a receiving option while he learns to block in the NFL and gets stronger.
Round 6 | 209 (f/Miami) - LB K.J. Britt, Auburn
I was really impressed by Britt at the senior bowl and he looks like an energetic, passionate depth player that will give you good reps on special teams.

QB: P. Mahomes, C. Henne
RB: C. Edwards-Helaire, Dam. Williams, UDFA

WR: T. Hill, R. Higgins, M. Hardman, M. Stevenson, J. Ross, B. Pringle
TE: T. Kelce, N. Keizer, T. McKitty

LT: C. Darrisaw, A. Ealy
LG: A. Banks, M. Rankin
OC: N. Allegretti, D. Williams
RG: L. Duvernay-Tardif, L. Niang, Y. Durant
RT: M. Schwartz, M. Remmers, L. Niang

DE: F. Clark, T. Charlton
DT: C. Jones, T. Wharton
DT: D. Nnadi, M. Pennel, K. Saunders
DE: J. Tryon, M. Danna, T. Ward

SLB: W. Gay, D. Harris
ILB: A. Hitchens, K. Britt
WLB: B. Niemann, D. O'Daniel

CB: C. Ward, L. Sneed, R. Fenton, T. Keyes, D. Baker
S: T. Mathieu, J. Thornhill, D. Sorensen, L. Hill, A. Watts

K: Butker
P: Townsend
LS: Winchester
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:03 AM 02-08-2021
I like that a lot.

Question:

Do you think Marvin Jones Jr. can be had for the price you quoted there? I realy like what he offers, though he's a little older than Higgins.
[Reply]
Toad 11:32 AM 02-08-2021
I think many here believe the same in regards to the bias right now. Dis-heartening but we press on...

This plan is a really good one. The only heartburn would be Nieman. For the love of all Chiefs fans, can we not find anyone that is better? Shouldn’t be that hard really.

Only other question would be the assumption that Mitch will be available. Hate to say, but my guess is he may be forced to retire or outright cut to create necessary cap room.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 10:01 PM 02-08-2021
Ross is a brokedick who can't catch. He is Hardman but with worse hands.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:56 PM 02-08-2021
Yeah, I can live with all that.

I think I'll disagree here.

Originally Posted by :
There is no doubt that this offense REQUIRES two good offensive tackles to function.
We didn't have 2 good tackles once Schwartz went down. And we lost 2 games. I think the real answer is he can't have 2 ass ones. The thing about Mahomes is if one tackle gets beat, he can buy time, get out of the pocket and not lose much productivity. So when Remmers gets raped, he can take off towards Fisher's side because he's holding the block. And when Fisher gets beat, he at least got his hands on the dude and slowed him down some so Mahomes (since he's god and all) sees it fades and makes an incredible play. What happened in the Super Bowl was by the time Remmers and Wylie got stood up and their hands ready the DEs were already by. A few times Remmers tried but was on skates and there just wasn't any time to work.

I think you can get by with a good one and a competent one. The problem is Fisher is for sure out half the year, and who knows where Schwartz is at. Just total shit luck that the dude went from absolute iron man to (hopefully not forever) done.

I honestly have no good ideas on how to fix the OL, but that's the way I see the tackle thing.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:11 AM 02-09-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I like that a lot.

Question:

Do you think Marvin Jones Jr. can be had for the price you quoted there? I realy like what he offers, though he's a little older than Higgins.
Oh I'd think so, but I'm not a guy that advocates brining in a 31-year-old WR. I'd rather a couple guys in their mid-20's like these two that haven't really gotten a fair shake.

Ross has struggled with injuries, but he also wasn't liked by the original coaching staff. His hands aren't really an issue, he's been productive in spurts, but he needs to stay out of the tub. If he has transformed how he takes care of himself like he's said he has, then he could be a surprise player after being the 9th overall pick. He's got skills, far more than Hardman when he's on. I think his skill set better fits Reid's offense.

Higgins wasn't liked by his original staff either but has been productive on the field. I wanted KC to draft him when he came out.

I
[Reply]
Hoover 09:11 AM 02-09-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Oh I'd think so, but I'm not a guy that advocates brining in a 31-year-old WR. I'd rather a couple guys in their mid-20's like these two that haven't really gotten a fair shake.

Ross has struggled with injuries, but he also wasn't liked by the original coaching staff. His hands aren't really an issue, he's been productive in spurts, but he needs to stay out of the tub. If he has transformed how he takes care of himself like he's said he has, then he could be a surprise player after being the 9th overall pick. He's got skills, far more than Hardman when he's on. I think his skill set better fits Reid's offense.

Higgins wasn't liked by his original staff either but has been productive on the field. I wanted KC to draft him when he came out.

I
Marvin Jones would. be deadly in this offense.

Question: In regards to Fisher, I don't see this team walking away from a 31 year old LT that has been an anchor along the line. This is especially so if we think he will be ready to do by mid-season. Looking for a silver lining here, but does that present an opportunity to extend him at a more reasonable rate this offseason?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:19 AM 02-09-2021
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Marvin Jones would. be deadly in this offense.

Question: In regards to Fisher, I don't see this team walking away from a 31 year old LT that has been an anchor along the line. This is especially so if we think he will be ready to do by mid-season. Looking for a silver lining here, but does that present an opportunity to extend him at a more reasonable rate this offseason?
crow's plan for Fisher could be part of an extension or something like that... team option for 2022 that, if picked up, automatically triggers another year or 2 and some bonuses.

I think Fisher will play ball with the team.
[Reply]
In58men 09:32 AM 02-09-2021
I thought this draft was loaded @ OL.

Are we sure we take one in the 1st round? Most OL can’t convert to different positions as well. I think this the position Chiefs do some digging and find that stud in round 4 or 5.

Surrounding Pat with weapons is priority, especially if we move on from Watkins and Robinson.
[Reply]
Hoover 11:40 AM 02-09-2021
Originally Posted by In58men:
I thought this draft was loaded @ OL.

Are we sure we take one in the 1st round? Most OL can’t convert to different positions as well. I think this the position Chiefs do some digging and find that stud in round 4 or 5.

Surrounding Pat with weapons is priority, especially if we move on from Watkins and Robinson.
I'm not sure I'd spend high draft capital on another WR. I think FA dollars are probably more impactful if you can get a guy like Marvin Jones to play opposite of Tyreek. There are tons of WRs on the market this year, I think its an ideal time to snag a FA.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:17 PM 02-09-2021
Originally Posted by Hoover:
I'm not sure I'd spend high draft capital on another WR. I think FA dollars are probably more impactful if you can get a guy like Marvin Jones to play opposite of Tyreek. There are tons of WRs on the market this year, I think its an ideal time to snag a FA.
If we can afford it. Our cap situation kind of sucks right now.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:18 PM 02-09-2021
Giving up two firsts to get Darrisaw when we don't even know their plans for Fisher?

No way. Sorry, I hate it.
[Reply]
In58men 12:47 PM 02-09-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
If we can afford it. Our cap situation kind of sucks right now.
Yep, I’d rather get a guy on a rookie contract. Just sucks if we do draft WR, more than likely we won’t have Mahomes for training camp. Might need that FA WR who has experience.
[Reply]
kccrow 05:56 PM 02-09-2021
I'd be interested to know who expects Fisher to be the same player IF he's able to actually even ever play again.

Statistically, the likelihood of Fisher being a quality LT in this league again is low. You can "but Jason Peters" all you want but it doesn't mean shit. There's a lot we won't know about Fisher for a while, and finding out may not even occur in 2021.

He could heal just right. He could play again. He could play LT again. He could play it well... But, it's more likely he isn't as quick and isn't as powerful and that's not a ringing endorsement for an offensive tackle in the NFL.

I encourage optimism, but I'm not going to pretend everything is okay. In my opinion, it is in the best interest of the team to expect that Fisher is no longer their LT and plan accordingly.

What do you do if he comes back and is able to play? Well, I suppose you figure that out when and if the time comes. Maybe he's a guard. Maybe he's a RT. Maybe you just have to let him walk in FA.

One thing I do know is that I don't want to watch what happened in the Super Bowl happen for all or most of 2021. If you have an opportunity to move up and get a starting LT for at least the next 5 years, then you do it at this point. Maybe it doesn't have to be that far up or for that player but I think you have to make a move somewhere to get a guy you're confident in. Those guys don't last too long in the draft and the chances of you getting one outside of round 1 are extremely slim.
[Reply]
htismaqe 06:09 PM 02-09-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Maybe it doesn't have to be that far up or for that player but I think you have to make a move somewhere to get a guy you're confident in. Those guys don't last too long in the draft and the chances of you getting one outside of round 1 are extremely slim.
I'm not opposed to making moves.

But giving up a king's ransom for a guy like Darrisaw seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up