ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Jayson Oweh, Penn State
staylor26 11:02 PM 02-12-2021
I don’t see this guy getting a lot of love on CP, so I figured I’d start a discussion because I really love his upside and I could easily see him being the pick at 31.

He has very great length and he’s a freak athletically. The problem is he had a very weird season, like a lot of other prospects, where he didn’t get any sacks in a small sample size of games. If you watch the tape though, you can see him flashing and getting pressure on a fairly consistent basis relative to the lack of production.

Despite the stats, he clearly was a better player than in 2019 where he recorded 5 sacks, just an example of how those stats can be misleading in a season where he only played 7 games.

He hasn’t been playing football for a long time, but he’s not just an athlete. He’s definitely a football player and could be our Sneed/Gay/Thornhill/Jones at DE.

We have athletic freaks all over this defense, but not on the edge. I love Clark, but he’s not that. You add that to what we already have though?

This defense could be playing like a top 5 defense down the stretch in 2021.

When you’re picking at 31, these are the kind of guys that could make drafting late irrelevant. This guys just scratching the surface, and with our staff I have full confidence he could reach that potential and give us a top 10 talent at 31.
[Reply]
kccrow 01:00 PM 03-03-2021
I'd rather take Ojulari and have him put on weight than take a chance on Oweh becoming productive in round 1.

My preferences still lie in Perkins and Tryon. Tryon obviously fits the Spags type much better than Perkins but Perkins has experience at LDE and is insanely productive.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 03:15 PM 03-03-2021
I like Oweh. I suspect Veach will too.

There are guys I like better at 31 but this would intrigue me.

I think Oweh looks like a late 1st/early 2nd type prospect.
[Reply]
staylor26 03:50 PM 03-08-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
:-)

I can’t wait to bump this thread when he inevitably goes in the 1st or very early in the 2nd.

Again, it doesn’t matter whether it’s DJ, Zierlein, Brugler, the guys at TDN, they ALL have him as a 1st rounder.

Got the following #’s from well regarded speed coach Ryan Capretta of @proactivesp. Jayson Oweh: 4.34 hand/ 4.38 laser —> Jaycee Horn: 4.39 hand/ 4.42 laser. —> Micah Parsons: 4.41 hand/ 4.44 laser. Capretta correctly timed Isaiah Simmons last year at 4.38 laser b4 the combine.

— Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) March 8, 2021

[Reply]
kccrow 07:58 PM 03-08-2021
Tell me when 40 times matter for a DE. I'll wait. :-)

Production my friend. Production.

I'm more interested in his vertical jump.
[Reply]
staylor26 08:37 PM 03-08-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Tell me when 40 times matter for a DE. I'll wait. :-)

Production my friend. Production.

I'm more interested in his vertical jump.
Danielle Hunter had 3.5 career sacks at LSU.

Oweh had more than that in 2019.

Traits and athleticism. Traits and athleticism.

By the way, I don’t really care about the 40 time. The point of that post was that he’s going in the 1st round testing like that.
[Reply]
staylor26 08:43 PM 03-08-2021
Also, Kwity Paye had 2 sacks this year and he’s going to be a top 15-20 pick. Likely the first pass rusher off the board.

Meanwhile, productive pass rushers like Weaver and Jones are projected to go anywhere from rounds 2-4.

K’Lavon Chaisson was a top 20 pick last year despite not being very productive in college. He also started to flash late in his rookie year.

Chris Jones was not very productive in college either.

The NFL clearly values traits and athleticism over production when it comes to pass rushers.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:48 PM 03-08-2021
yeah, but there's like 80 guys going in the first round according to the experts when you put it all together.

I don't think anybody knows at all what's going to happen.
[Reply]
kcbubb 11:42 PM 03-08-2021
Perkins seemed to play really high and lacked leverage. Burst and hand usage is great though. Oweh is intriguing to me but scary. maybe cb would be a better pick round 1? Breeland is probably gone.

1st cb newsome
2nd wr Moore
3rd de Dayo odeyingbo
[Reply]
kccrow 12:44 AM 03-09-2021
Paye had 2 sacks in 4 games this year, 6.5 in his last 12.
Chaisson had 6.5 in his last 12.

Oweh had 0 in 7 and has 1 in his last 12.

You can't inject Hunter into the argument when he proves what we've all been trying to say, he was the 88th pick. You take chances on pure traits at pick 88.

The problem isn't with drafting Oweh nor is it with drafting purely on traits. The problem is drafting purely on traits in round 1.

Not a single team in NFL history has ever taken a pass rusher with his lack of production in the 1st round. Never. It hasn't happened. There is no example.

Maybe, just maybe, a team will change that but I have my doubts.

Yetur Gross-Matos was a far better player and he went at 38 in a weak draft for edge talent, so it won't be some Penn State pedigree thing.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:56 AM 03-09-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Paye had 2 sacks in 4 games this year, 6.5 in his last 12.
Chaisson had 6.5 in his last 12.

Oweh had 0 in 7 and has 1 in his last 12.

You can't inject Hunter into the argument when he proves what we've all been trying to say, he was the 88th pick. You take chances on pure traits at pick 88.

The problem isn't with drafting Oweh nor is it with drafting purely on traits. The problem is drafting purely on traits in round 1.

Not a single team in NFL history has ever taken a pass rusher with his lack of production in the 1st round. Never. It hasn't happened. There is no example.

Maybe, just maybe, a team will change that but I have my doubts.

Yetur Gross-Matos was a far better player and he went at 38 in a weak draft for edge talent, so it won't be some Penn State pedigree thing.
I never said Oweh was as productive as those guys, or should be a top 20 pick, the point was clearly that athleticism and traits come first. Neither of those two had the production of a top 20 pick.

I realize that Hunter wasn’t drafted until the 88th pick. That’s irrelevant now. He’d be a top 15 pick in a redraft. He obviously shouldn’t have been the 88th pick.

Today, the NFL clearly values those things over production, and that’s why just about everybody can see the writing on the wall that he will likely be a 1st round pick. That is unless you are absolutely stuck on production while ignoring the fact that he was very disruptive on tape. That’s why I disagree that you’re drafting “purely on traits” if you take him in the 1st. This isn’t just my opinion either, literally every single scouting report I’ve seen says the same things about the production being misleading.

If sacks were that telling of play, the conversation would be that he took a huge step backwards in 2020. He had 6 sacks in 2019, and none in 2020, yet it’s clear as day that he improved against the run and the pass. He was actually very productive in 2019 despite not even being a starter. It’s just a weird 2 year stretch, and that’s why I don’t get too caught up in it.

He hasn’t been playing football very long, and by all accounts he definitely has the intangibles to go with the athleticism as well. Yea, a guy having 0 sacks and going in the 1st is pretty much unheard of, but so is a guy at that size running in the 4.3s. He’s a very unique prospect with unique circumstances and to hold him to a set of rules based on history misses that. Pretty much everybody who’s high on him acknowledges that it’s very rare to be so high on a guy with that kind of production. The point is they believe he will be an outlier and exception to those rules (like a Hunter).

Disagree all you want about him as a prospect, but you’re coming off a bit stubborn insisting he won’t be a 1st rounder just because YOU think he shouldn’t be. I didn’t think Isaiah Wilson should be a 1st going into the draft last year, but as it got closed it was becoming obvious that he would be. You’re allowing your personal opinion of the player to get in the way of reading the tea leaves IMO.
[Reply]
BossChief 07:51 AM 03-09-2021
If he had 5 sacks, there’s no way he’d even fall to 31.

With his speed, first step and hips, he can constantly force OTs to commit wide and that should give Daly clay to work with and have him become very good after he adds some pass rush moves to his repertoire. An inside spin move could be devastating.

The intriguing part is that he graded very high against both the run and pass...even higher against the run.

My question...at his size, can he play year one at LDE?
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 01:55 PM 03-09-2021
Oweh is a guy with traits that you need to coach up.

He's going to start off better against the run.

As a pass-rusher he will bend the arc but right now he has no clue what he is doing with his hands or what pass-rush moves to employ.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Up