ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 12
< 12 3456 > Last »
Media Center>Top Gun 2
thabear04 11:07 PM 05-24-2017
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...2-is-happening

On my phone can't post the video up of Tom saying it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:03 AM 05-26-2017
Originally Posted by beach tribe:
It should be about the f-22 Raptor, which is going to pretty much end dog fighting, because nothing will even come close to shooting one out of the sky.
They could make it like the Pentagon Wars when the whole thing was centered around how badly they fucked up designing the Bradley.

So essentially they'd spent 10 minutes talking about the Raptor, then the rest of the movie trying to phase it out in favor of the POS F-35. You could have dogfighting scenes with A-4s and T-45s shooting their billion dollar jets out of the sky using late 70's technology.

Then Kelsey Grammer could show up and gruffly explain things while Carey Elwes and Toby Ziegler sigh a lot.

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:23 AM 05-26-2017
It should be about the f-22 Raptor, which is going to pretty much end dog fighting, because nothing will even come close to shooting one out of the sky.
I'll post more if/when I hear more plot details but as of now, the script doesn't even exist, just the basic outline of the new generation of drone fighters vs. old school dogfighting.

Tom Cruise has been fighting for this film for a decade and if they've finally cracked the nut, it should be a fun ride, although I'd set my expectations fairly low because the first film was genius.

The other challenge they face (and IMO, it'll make or break the film), is that the cast of Top Gun featured so many mid-20's talented actors like Cruise, Kilmer, Tim Robbins, Anthony Edwards, Adrian Pasdar and even Rick Rossovich.

The talent gap is huge in 2017 versus 1985 (when the movie was filmed).

Who are they going to cast? A bunch of Disney kids?
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:32 AM 05-26-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

Who are they going to cast? A bunch of Disney kids?

[Reply]
Dayze 10:33 AM 05-26-2017
I bet Levitt could pull off a good role.
[Reply]
Rausch 10:34 AM 05-26-2017
A "robots vs. robots" movie would be boring...
[Reply]
Bowser 10:36 AM 05-26-2017
Unfortunately for this movie the F-22 is USAF property, not USN.
[Reply]
Rausch 10:43 AM 05-26-2017
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Unfortunately for this movie the F-22 is USAF property, not USN.
Boeing currently has two unmanned fighters under contract that fit very similar parameters...
[Reply]
Dayze 10:43 AM 05-26-2017
thankfully they're keeping the "Top Gun" name, even though the official name for it is
Naval Strike and Air Warfare Center (NSAWC). lol. NSAWC just doesn't sound good for a movie.

Unfortunately for me, I've been there (Fallon, NV) way too many times with my squadron.
[Reply]
Rausch 10:47 AM 05-26-2017
Originally Posted by Dayze:
thankfully they're keeping the "Top Gun" name, even though the official name for it is
Naval Strike and Air Warfare Center (NSAWC). lol. NSAWC just doesn't sound good for a movie.

Unfortunately for me, I've been there (Fallon, NV) way too many times with my squadron.
It's going to be total $3it - as a film.

The era of the dogfighter isn't completely gone but it's close...
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:49 AM 05-26-2017
Originally Posted by Pestilence:
Zac Efron will be 30 when the movie starts filming next year and Dave Franco will be 32.

There's a real dearth of mid-20's male talent right now.
[Reply]
Dayze 10:55 AM 05-26-2017
Originally Posted by Rausch:
It's going to be total $3it - as a film.

The era of the dogfighter isn't completely gone but it's close...
yep; when semi-active missiles can be fired from 40+ miles away (even further if your target is coming towards you / forward quarter shots etc).....the need to dogfight like Vietnam and earlier is virtually gone.

hell, the AIM-9s are basically a last ditch weapon now. On pilot told me "they're basically just an gun with extended range" lol. Though, a good weapon to have in a dogfight / within probably 5-10 miles.

one of our pilots shot down a Mig-25 (or maybe 31..can't remember...they're basically the same, 31 is just a little bigger if I recall) from so far away that the only way we confirmed a shoot down was reviewing his HUD footage from the shot, validating he had good parameters, ensuring arming pins were removed from the missle by the ordenance guys, then us Intel guys had to wait for a satellite pass over the air base where it likely came from - and compare that imagery to the previous days' imagery. One day they had like 6 Mig-25's....the next satellite pass and next few days of imagery they had 5, 5, 5, each day. So that's when they finally categorized it as a shoot down.

....but that would make for a shitty movie lol.
[Reply]
Rausch 10:56 AM 05-26-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
There's a real dearth of mid-20's .... talent right now.
EDIT: Truf...
[Reply]
Rausch 10:57 AM 05-26-2017
Originally Posted by Dayze:

....but that would make for a shitty movie lol.
This.

Hell, a RED DAWN 3rd try would make more sense...
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 11:23 AM 05-26-2017
Hope they make this solid... excited to hear it may be happening
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:46 AM 05-26-2017
Originally Posted by Rausch:
EDIT: Truf...
IMO, there are more talented actresses in their 20's. Jennifer Lawrence, Sophie Turner, Margo Robbie, Blake Lively, Emma Stone, Mia Wasikowska, Shailene Woodley, Elizabeth Olsen and so on.

Compare that to the male actors in their 20's...
[Reply]
Page 2 of 12
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up