ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Media Center>Disney+ The Right Stuff
Deberg_1990 03:44 PM 10-09-2020
I noticed this dropped today. Anyone going go check it out?

Looks likes its one of those 'only drop a new episode once a week' kinda deals.....hate that.

Only the first 2 episodes are available as of now....
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:10 PM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
I noticed this dropped today. Anyone going go check it out?

Looks likes its one of those 'only drop a new episode once a week' kinda deals.....hate that.

Only the first 2 episodes are available as of now....
I don't think Disney+ will ever drop an entire series at once.

The service is targeted at kids and parents that want "safe" content for their children, most of whom, wouldn't be able to sit down a binge entire 8 episode series in a single sitting.

It also gives kids something to look forward to each Friday, making Disney+ a "Destination" network.
[Reply]
mac459 04:14 PM 10-09-2020
Told Momma, she was going to get some Disney+ and the right stuff later
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:39 PM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I don't think Disney+ will ever drop an entire series at once.

The service is targeted at kids and parents that want "safe" content for their children, most of whom, wouldn't be able to sit down a binge entire 8 episode series in a single sitting.

It also gives kids something to look forward to each Friday, making Disney+ a "Destination" network.
Is there a strategic idea behind why Amazon and Disney are doing this? Instead of the Netflix method.
[Reply]
keg in kc 06:17 PM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Is there a strategic idea behind why Amazon and Disney are doing this? Instead of the Netflix method.
The Boys season 2 evidently has significantly higher numbers than season 1. When they announced the drop date for The Expanse yrsterday, they announced it's coming weekly, too. HBO Max stuff has been weekly as well, I think. Although with Raised by Wolves they did go to 2 eps per week about a month in.

Everything I want to watch the rest of the year is weekly. Mando, s3 of discovery, s5 of the Expanse. Kinda depressing
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:40 PM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I don't think Disney+ will ever drop an entire series at once.

The service is targeted at kids and parents that want "safe" content for their children, most of whom, wouldn't be able to sit down a binge entire 8 episode series in a single sitting.

It also gives kids something to look forward to each Friday, making Disney+ a "Destination" network.
Yea. I noticed they donít stream any of the old 80s and 90s R rated Touchstone and Hollywood pictures films.
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:02 PM 10-09-2020
I'm curious about this, but I'm not expecting great. Hoping against something really stupid. Probably try to check it out this weekend.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:45 PM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
I'm curious about this, but I'm not expecting great. Hoping against something really stupid. Probably try to check it out this weekend.
Itís Disney/National Geographic so it should be well done.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:09 PM 10-10-2020
I watched the first two episodes last night.

It was far more “adult” than I expected from Disney+ and would rate it a hard PG-14 due to depictions of sex or near sex, swear words like “shit” and “dick” and tons of cigarette smoking, which certainly reflects the era but has been mostly whitewashed in recent years.

Unlike the 1983 feature film, it really delves into the individual personalities. Several of these guys cheated on their wives constantly and it’s a much deeper look into the lives of their wives and children. And Gordon Cooper’s relationship with his wife is a little more at the forefront than in than in the movie, while Trudy Cooper is played by a far more attractive woman than the original, who was portrayed by an actress I never thought was even remotely attractive or appealing.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:29 PM 10-10-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I watched the first two episodes last night.

It was far more “adult” than I expected from Disney+ and would rate it a hard PG-14 due to depictions of sex or near sex, swear words like “shit” and “dick” and tons of cigarette smoking, which certainly reflects the era but has been mostly whitewashed in recent years.

Unlike the 1983 feature film, it really delves into the individual personalities. Several of these guys cheated on their wives constantly and it’s a much deeper look into the lives of their wives and children. And Gordon Cooper’s relationship with his wife is a little more at the forefront than in than in the movie, while Trudy Cooper is played by a far more attractive woman than the original, who was portrayed by an actress I never thought was even remotely attractive or appealing.
Watched the first episode. Not bad. Well made but it will be hard to top the original. IMO one of the best movies of the 1980s.

The actors playing the astronauts don’t have near the charisma of Dennis Quad, Scott Glenn, Ed Harris , Fred Ward and Sam Sheppard.

And I guess they Are not including anything about Chuck Yeager like they did in the movie.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:15 PM 10-10-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Watched the first episode. Not bad. Well made but it will be hard to top the original. IMO one of the best movies of the 1980s.
It's just different.

The original movie didn't delve into their personal details much but with 8 full 45 minute episodes, they're able to do that and more.

I didn't mind the actors. The female cast in the series is much better than in the movie, but I'm not making a concerted effort to compare to the two versions.

The score, however, is simplistic and just not very good at all, IMO, and I feel that way because the composition and production is very rudimentary, for lack of a better word.
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:26 PM 10-11-2020
just watched the first episode yesterday. Kind of in parts.

I liked it. It's not like the movie; other than the characters in it, it's basically a completely different telling.

Looking forward to watching the 2nd episode late tonight.
[Reply]
vailpass 07:31 PM 10-11-2020
Watched the first twenty minutes. If I had never seen the movie I might have continued but it just didn’t grab me so I went for a bike ride. Just got Disney, there are some good shows I’m going to watch but i can see me going through them then cancelling. Would have been killer to have it when my boys were little.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:32 PM 10-11-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

The score, however, is simplistic and just not very good at all, IMO, and I feel that way because the composition and production is very rudimentary, for lack of a better word.
Yea, i dont even think i remember one beat of it? I remember they played alot of era songs. I hate to compare again, but Bill Conti's movie score is iconic.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:10 PM 10-11-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Yea, i dont even think i remember one beat of it? I remember they played alot of era songs. I hate to compare again, but Bill Conti's movie score is iconic.
Yeah, there's no way they're getting even close to a Bill Conti-type score, whether it's a Live orchestra or that kind of composition, on a Disney+/Nat Geo budget.

To me, the "score" sounded like cheap music library cues.

It's hard for me to believe that they paid $1,000 dollars per music minute for that schlop.
[Reply]
Up