ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Media Center>Star Trek: The First Generation (Deep Fake)
Frazod 06:47 AM 09-26-2020
This is pretty amazing.

[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 11:10 AM 09-26-2020
Make that movie and I would watch it.

Technology is fucking amazing.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:02 PM 09-26-2020
Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy:
Make that movie and I would watch it.

Technology is fucking amazing.
Unfortunately, there's been a lot of discussion over at Paramount about dropping Star Trek movies altogether because they don't make the studio any money, while taking up a substantial amount of their yearly budget and stage time.

The TV series aren't doing well, either, and just barely enough to justify their existence. There's been an internal debate as to whether or not Star Trek should exist in any new format moving forward because it just doesn't have enough appeal (i.e., viewership) to justify the continuation of the IP.

CBS is now airing the first season of Discovery on network TV, which will also help to determine its fate on the small screen and so far, it's not looking good. It had 1.7 million viewers and a .2 rating Thursday night and was beat by reruns airing on NBC and ABC. The ratings were also lower than a Bull repeat that aired two weeks prior in the same time slot.

Freaking Press Your Luck had 3.5 million viewers, followed by Match Game with 2.9 million viewers, both of which easily beat Discovery. Big Brother scored 4.5 million viewers a few days later and costs a fraction to produce as Discovery or any Star Trek series.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:07 PM 09-26-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Unfortunately, there's been a lot of discussion over at Paramount about dropping Star Trek movies altogether because they don't make the studio any money, while taking up a substantial amount of their yearly budget and stage time.

The TV series aren't doing well, either, and just barely enough to justify their existence. There's been an internal debate as to whether or not Star Trek should exist in any new format moving forward because it just doesn't have enough appeal (i.e., viewership) to justify the continuation of the IP.

CBS is now airing the first season of Discovery on network TV, which will also help to determine its fate on the small screen and so far, it's not looking good. It had 1.7 million viewers and a .2 rating Thursday night and was beat by reruns airing on NBC and ABC. The ratings were also lower than a Bull repeat that aired two weeks prior in the same time slot.

Freaking Press Your Luck had 3.5 million viewers, followed by Match Game with 2.9 million viewers, both of which easily beat Discovery. Big Brother scored 4.5 million viewers a few days later and costs a fraction to produce as Discovery or any Star Trek series.
It would help if they didn't make shitty Star Trek.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:13 PM 09-26-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
It would help if they didn't make shitty Star Trek.
Despite their efforts, Paramount/CBS has not been able to find the right formula in order to appease the audience and without Gene Roddenberry's guidance, I think it's doubtful they ever will.
[Reply]
keg in kc 02:20 PM 09-26-2020
Not sure how this is a surprise to them. Star Trek has never had broad appeal. It's always been a cult franchise.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:28 PM 09-26-2020
Despite their efforts, Paramount/CBS has not been able to find the right formula in order to appease the audience and without Gene Roddenberry's guidance, I think it's doubtful they ever will.
The problem is they're using Star Trek to beat us over the head with their fucking SJW agenda. Discovery looks great. The special effects are top notch. The format of the show sucks. You've got the black female Mary Sue lead, the prey animal pussy first officer/captain/whatever the hell he is from week to week, the ugly fat chick, the subservient ex-Klingon guy and the most annoying mincing queer imaginable in the form of Stammets. And of course the only alpha male on the show ended up being the villain - gee, imagine that. The ONLY reason I stuck it out until the second season, which was only better because of Pike and the so far unmolested Enterprise crew, is because I am a diehard fan. I tried to get my best friend, who is also a diehard fan, to watch it, and he refused to watch it any further after the first episode. It's just bad. And judging by the new characters they're introducing, will only get worse.

This reminds me of the scene from West Wing where C.J. gets fired from the ad agency because her client got dropped down on the Hollywood influence list because he made bad movies. As she said to him right before getting whacked, "the movies were bad!" Modern Star Trek is bad. I foolishly thought it couldn't get any worse than what Jar Jar Abrams did to the movies, but Discovery sucks so much that it makes those look like Wrath of Khan by comparison.

Of course, good luck telling them that.

And frankly, Star Trek got better after Roddenberry croaked. He would have never allowed Deep Space Nine, which is far and away the best series in the franchise.

Too bad they don't put Nicholas Meyer in charge of the whole operation. That guy knows how to make Star Trek correctly.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:38 PM 09-26-2020
Too bad they don't put Nicholas Meyer in charge of the whole operation. That guy knows how to make Star Trek correctly.
There was talk at some point that Meyer would be involved in some Trek TV series but I don't think that ever came to fruition. Plus, he's nearly 75 years old and doubt he can run a Writer's Room at that age.

I tried to watch the first season of Deep Space Nine but just couldn't get into it. I never liked Kate Mulgrew so I never watched Voyager. Enterprise held so much promise and I loved the cast but it was a difficult watch as well and was cancelled just as they started to figure it out.

I tried to watch Discovery on CBS but literally fell asleep on the couch about 10 minutes in. I haven't ponied up for CBS All Access (soon to be Paramount Plus) but if the Pike show receives good reviews from real Star Trek people like yourself, I'll definitely get it.

Suffice to say, my expectations are very low.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:44 PM 09-26-2020
There was talk at some point that Meyer would be involved in some Trek TV series but I don't think that ever came to fruition. Plus, he's nearly 75 years old and doubt he can run a Writer's Room at that age.

I tried to watch the first season of Deep Space Nine but just couldn't get into it. I never liked Kate Mulgrew so I never watched Voyager. Enterprise held so much promise and I loved the cast but it was a difficult watch as well and was cancelled just as they started to figure it out.

I tried to watch Discovery on CBS but literally fell asleep on the couch about 10 minutes in. I haven't ponied up for CBS All Access (soon to be Paramount Plus) but if the Pike show receives good reviews from real Star Trek people like yourself, I'll definitely get it.

Suffice to say, my expectations are very low.
The first three seasons of DS9 are fairly meh - there are some good episodes here and there, but a lot of forgettable ones as well. But once the Dominion War story arc got going in season 4 it took off like a rocket (adding Dorn to the cast really helped as well). After that, it was dark, gritty and bloody, and almost completely awesome.

Voyager had it's moments, but it was far too goody-goodies in space for my taste. It did get better after they added Jeri Ryan and tended to focus more on battling the Borg.

Enterprise also had it's moments, but overall was a scattershot mess. Of course, compared to what came later, it was high art.
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:19 PM 09-26-2020
I tried to watch Discovery on CBS but literally fell asleep on the couch about 10 minutes in.
The first two episodes of Discovery were in my opinion the worst two episodes of Discovery. But that's kind of Star Trek tradition. The next time there's a good first season of a Star Trek show, it'll be the first time there's a good first season of a Star Trek show.

Although I gotta say I've dug Lower Decks so far.
[Reply]
listopencil 05:35 PM 09-26-2020

A-ha. I was was wondering why I was seeing ads for that while watching football online. It really is too bad if the future of the franchise on TV is linked to the popularity of season one of ST:-)isc, because it was horrible crap. Here is a video of some of the cast of ST: Strange New Worlds talking about making the new Pike show:

I'm looking forward to it.
[Reply]
JD10367 05:39 PM 09-26-2020
Caught a few minutes of the "Discovery" pilot on live TV. I wanted to throw up after it. Nothing but tilting camera angles back and forth like I was on a fishing boat, and lens flare. If I wanted to get jerked off on by J.J. Abrams I'd watch a J.J. Abrams movie.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 06:55 PM 09-26-2020
The problem is they're using Star Trek to beat us over the head with their ****ing SJW agenda. Discovery looks great. The special effects are top notch. The format of the show sucks. You've got the black female Mary Sue lead, the prey animal pussy first officer/captain/whatever the hell he is from week to week, the ugly fat chick, the subservient ex-Klingon guy and the most annoying mincing queer imaginable in the form of Stammets. And of course the only alpha male on the show ended up being the villain - gee, imagine that. The ONLY reason I stuck it out until the second season, which was only better because of Pike and the so far unmolested Enterprise crew, is because I am a diehard fan. I tried to get my best friend, who is also a diehard fan, to watch it, and he refused to watch it any further after the first episode. It's just bad. And judging by the new characters they're introducing, will only get worse.

This reminds me of the scene from West Wing where C.J. gets fired from the ad agency because her client got dropped down on the Hollywood influence list because he made bad movies. As she said to him right before getting whacked, "the movies were bad!" Modern Star Trek is bad. I foolishly thought it couldn't get any worse than what Jar Jar Abrams did to the movies, but Discovery sucks so much that it makes those look like Wrath of Khan by comparison.

Of course, good luck telling them that.

And frankly, Star Trek got better after Roddenberry croaked. He would have never allowed Deep Space Nine, which is far and away the best series in the franchise.

I didn’t have a problem with Discovery because of any SJW agenda (which I think you’re overstating), I had a problem with it because it was just bad. It was a chore to get through a lot of episodes and I still haven’t been able to bring myself to watch S2 of that show because of the writing choices they made to finish S1 and I’m not sure if I will.

And keep in mind I’m somebody who actually liked Enterprise. Discovery was far worse.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 07:04 PM 09-26-2020
The first three seasons of DS9 are fairly meh - there are some good episodes here and there, but a lot of forgettable ones as well. But once the Dominion War story arc got going in season 4 it took off like a rocket (adding Dorn to the cast really helped as well). After that, it was dark, gritty and bloody, and almost completely awesome.
Peak DS9 (S4-S6) has a fair argument as the best Trek IMO.
[Reply]
Up