ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 53 of 62
« First < 3434950515253 54555657 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Patrick Mahomes is now the overwhelming NFL MVP favorite
htismaqe 11:15 AM 11-23-2020
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...yIbOTl70ncM4Zs

NFL odds: After Sunday night, Patrick Mahomes is now the overwhelming NFL MVP favorite

Frank Schwab 2 hrs ago

We can cease and desist with any debate about someone other than Patrick Mahomes being the NFL MVP favorite.

You’ll hear people argue that Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson, Alvin Kamara or anyone else should be “in the conversation,” but the only real talk is that the Kansas City Chiefs quarterback is the overwhelming favorite until further notice. Everyone else is vying for NFL offensive player of the year, though Mahomes should probably win that too.

Sunday night’s heroics, leading a game-winning drive over the Las Vegas Raiders everyone knew was coming, solidified Mahomes’ position. He’s the best player in football and he’s having a phenomenal year.

The odds at BetMGM reflect that.

Mahomes is -118 to win MVP at BetMGM. Next on the list is Wilson at +350. Aaron Rodgers is +550 and nobody else is less than 12-to-1.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 09:23 AM 12-28-2020
Originally Posted by Best22:
Rodgers will get it because he has better stats. The surrounding talent is almost irrelevant

Quarterbacks carry “bad teams” to the playoffs every year. They don’t win MVP. The MVP goes to whatever QB is having the best overall season
I actually think Rodgers gets it because the actual voters don't think he has better talent around them than Mahomes and he has somewhat better stats... It's ridiculous that they discount the Oline injuries and poor play that Mahomes has had to play behind the last half of the season.
[Reply]
Best22 09:26 AM 12-28-2020
Originally Posted by burt:
Best overall season can be subjective....
Someone could make the argument that in 2013, Brady was more impressive than Manning (55 touchdown season) because he had an inferior roster, but still went 12-4, beat Manning head to head, and earned a playoff bye. One voter did in fact vote for Brady, which denied Manning a unanimous MVP in 2013

Guys carry bad rosters every year. That’s not what the award is for. Mahomes won his MVP because he had the big numbers, he had the value argument over Brees (Chiefs had a far inferior defense) and he had the highlight plays and big moments.
[Reply]
burt 09:27 AM 12-28-2020
Originally Posted by King_Chief_Fan:
the last 7 weeks wins were by 1 possession...hard to believe this team is still 14-1.
Post Season will be an adventure.
I'm thinking I may have to invest in a defibrillator!
[Reply]
burt 09:30 AM 12-28-2020
[QUOTE=Best22;15428333]Mahomes won his MVP because he had the big numbers, he had the value argument over Brees (Chiefs had a far inferior defense) and he had the highlight plays and big moments.[/QUOTE]

:-):-):-):-):-)

Yes...he did. {satisfied sigh}
[Reply]
DRM08 09:34 AM 12-28-2020
Valid points. But better RB? Really? Not disputing, just questioning from lack of input/knowledge.
Aaron Jones is better, yes.
[Reply]
emaw1979 09:35 AM 12-28-2020
I love Mahomes and I am completely ecstatic that we have a "generational" talent at QB. BUT.......

Last nights "announcers" completely missed a Rodgers no look pass, and possibly another. Hard to say about the second one because of camera angle. Given the entire season...SO FAR... Rodgers has my vote for MVP (a vote that means nothing!)
Rodgers benefits from far superior line play and running game. Both make things so much easier for a QB. Mahomes has got the shit kicked out of him this year, especially the 2nd half of the season. The numbers he is putting up despite his line is astonishing.

If I had a vote I'd give it to Mahomes because he's more valuable to his team, finished with a better record and comparable statistical seasons (Rodgers slightly better statistically, especially down the stretch)
[Reply]
BWillie 09:43 AM 12-28-2020
I don't really know why Chiefs fans won't give Rodgers his due. He's having one of the best years for a QB...ever. Not that Mahomes is bad, he isn't, but Rodgers doesn't even have the weapons the Chiefs do. The Chiefs have the fastest WR in the history of football. They have the best tight end in the history of football. They have the best offensive scheme mind in the history of football.

Everyone acts like Rodgers couldn't play behind our line. It isn't like we have the worst line in football. Guys like Mahomes who hold onto the ball and then run around to make plays don't do offensive lines any favors, either. I wouldn't have it any other way but it's the truth. Rodgers can still scramble a little bit, and manipulate the pocket to create angles even at 37. He wouldn't just be a sitting duck like Brady if he was behind our line.

To play devils advocate, part of me thinks Mahomes wouldn't be quite as good without Andy Reid. This Andy Reid system is amazing. Just look at the history of Reid's QBs. They aren't great but he routinely makes them look better. He damn near dragged Donovan McNabb to the HOF. He made Alex Smith put up HOF numbers in 2018. He finally gets an elite QB in Mahomes and promptly wins the Super Bowl.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 09:47 AM 12-28-2020
Now IMO, I DGAF because the Chiefs have the #1 seed
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 09:50 AM 12-28-2020
BUT IF PEOPLE WANT TO KEEP YAPPING ABOUT "WEAPONS" WHY ISN'T THE SAME SAID ABOUT STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE? YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS.
[Reply]
BWillie 09:52 AM 12-28-2020
Originally Posted by emaw1979:
Rodgers benefits from far superior line play and running game. Both make things so much easier for a QB. Mahomes has got the shit kicked out of him this year, especially the 2nd half of the season. The numbers he is putting up despite his line is astonishing.

If I had a vote I'd give it to Mahomes because he's more valuable to his team, finished with a better record and comparable statistical seasons (Rodgers slightly better statistically, especially down the stretch)
There is an argument that for guys like Mahomes, the offensive line matters the LEAST to guys like them. O-line play always matters but if you compare a QB's need for a good offensive line for guys like Tom Brady who is a sitting duck. Then guys like Watson, Mahomes, Roethlisberger who like to hold onto the ball to buy time so they can play back yard football one could argue that the o-line is less important for these guys than anybody else.

And the idea that Mahomes is more valuable to his team than anyone else...I'm not sure that is true because of Andy Reid's system. Mahomes can be the best QB in the league, but because Andy Reid's system is so effective who the QB is matters less than it does for other teams who lack such a offensive genius. We saw how this team can do with a shit QB like Alex Smith and it does just fine, just not Super Bowl material. GB without Rodgers is a disaster.
[Reply]
DRM08 09:55 AM 12-28-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I don't really know why Chiefs fans won't give Rodgers his due. He's having one of the best years for a QB...ever. Not that Mahomes is bad, he isn't, but Rodgers doesn't even have the weapons the Chiefs do. The Chiefs have the fastest WR in the history of football. They have the best tight end in the history of football. They have the best offensive scheme mind in the history of football.

Everyone acts like Rodgers couldn't play behind our line. It isn't like we have the worst line in football. Guys like Mahomes who hold onto the ball and then run around to make plays don't do offensive lines any favors. I wouldn't have it any other way but it's the truth. Rodgers can still scramble a little bit, and manipulate the pocket to create angles. He wouldn't just be a sitting duck like Brady if he was behind our line.

To play devils advocate, part of me thinks Mahomes wouldn't be quite as good without Andy Reid. This Andy Reid system is amazing. Just look at the history of Reid's QBs. They aren't great but he routinely makes them look better. He damn near dragged Donovan McNabb to the HOF. He made Alex Smith put up HOF numbers in 2018. He finally gets an elite QB in Mahomes and wins the Super Bowl.
Mahomes is having a great season too. Take a look at this list and tell me what you see. Points Added Above Average QB performance.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/view/...qbpaa/dir/desc
[Reply]
BWillie 09:59 AM 12-28-2020
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Mahomes is having a great season too. Take a look at this list and tell me what you see. Points Added Above Average QB performance.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/view/...qbpaa/dir/desc
I think we can all agree that Points Added Above Average QB is not taken to account by MVP voters. You could ask them about that stat and they wouldn't have any idea what it is. They care about QBR, QB Rating, Completion percentage, avg completion bla bla bla. Although that stat is fascinating and I hope they can make a WAR for all positions in football that is accurate, like the WAR stat in baseball.
[Reply]
burt 09:59 AM 12-28-2020
Aaron Jones is better, yes.
Sure looked good last night!!!
[Reply]
DRM08 10:07 AM 12-28-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I think we can all agree that Points Added Above Average QB is not taken to account by MVP voters. You could ask them about that stat and they wouldn't have any idea what it is. They care about QBR, QB Rating, Completion percentage, avg completion bla bla bla. Although that stat is fascinating and I hope they can make a WAR for all positions in football that is accurate, like the WAR stat in baseball.
I’m sure they don’t look at it, but it is evidence that Mahomes is not exactly chopped liver. His QBR this year is higher than when he won MVP in 2018, and significantly higher than Brady’s 2017 MVP season.
[Reply]
burt 10:14 AM 12-28-2020
Mahomes is not exactly chopped liver..
NO ONE thinks he is less than a top tier QB. No one.
[Reply]
Page 53 of 62
« First < 3434950515253 54555657 > Last »
Up