ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Nzoner's Game Room>NFL will crowdsource ideas to change the punt
Stinger 10:08 AM 12-05-2018
The NFL wants to implement changes to the punt after making plenty of changes to the kickoff

by Sean Wagner-McGough @seanjwagner

It's not just kickoffs that are in a period of change in today's NFL. After enacting a number of rule changes in recent years to make the kickoff safer, the NFL will now focus on the punt as it aims to decrease injuries and penalties, league officials told ESPN on Tuesday. Changes could be coming as soon as next season.

According to ESPN's Kevin Seifert, the league will "crowdsource ideas from the analytics community" as "part of the 1st and Future project, an innovation competition that culminates in a Feb. 2 presentation in Atlanta, site of Super Bowl LIII." However, the league did not promise to use any of the ideas brought to them.

So why is the NFL planning on changing the punt? NFL executive vice president of health and safety initiatives Jeff Miller said that punts cause twice as many concussions than normal plays. Meanwhile, penalties most frequently occur during punts, Seifert reported, which is easy to believe after seeing holding and illegal-block-in-the-back penalties get flagged on what seems like every other punt -- if not more.

"We know our fans are not big fans of every play ending in a penalty, and that's one thing we definitely want to look at," Rich McKay, the head of the competition committee, said.

None of this should come as a huge surprise after all of the rules we've seen the NFL modify in an attempt to make the kickoff less dangerous. The NFL decreased the number of kickoff returns by moving the kickoff from the 30 to the 35-yard line in addition to moving the touchback from the 20 to the 25-yard line. More recently, they eliminated wedge blocking techniques by the return team and running starts for the kicking team.

Punts appear to be the NFL's next target. While complaints will undoubtedly be made whenever the NFL does make changes to the punt, it's easy to understand why the NFL is trying to make a special teams play safer and less likely to end in a penalty. Hopefully, the changes won't prohibit the Devin Hesters and Johnny Hekkers of the NFL from making the kind of plays that can make the punt exciting, but even if that happens and the end result is a safer sport, it'll be tough to criticize the league for doing so.

Many critics have bemoaned the changes made to the kickoff in recent years, but those changes have hardly impacted the quality of football in today's NFL while the league says injuries have been reduced to the point where the kickoff won't have to be eliminated entirely, which was mentioned as a possible outcome as recently as March. Next up? The punt.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...ies-penalties/
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 03:39 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
#7 - You know the NFL will want this one. Option #5, but the punter cannot be touched nor can initiate contact, and the punter must be female.
I think you mean the puntress.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 03:42 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by wazu:
Make it a 15 yard penalty for kicking out of bounds.
I would make it a penalty for punts and kickoffs if the ball lands out of bounds.

If either one lands in bounds and then goes out no penalty.
[Reply]
Rain Man 05:12 PM 12-06-2018
#11. Make punts a strategy-based game. Cover the field in hexagons. No one moves until the returner fields the punt. After that, a bell rings every two seconds, and upon each ring, players may move from one hexagon to the next. To account for speed, some players will get two hexagons of movement after every 3rd or 5th or 6th bell. If two players land in the same hexagon, they have to skip one bell until the defender can "disengage". As soon as someone gets into the same hexagon as the returner, he's considered tackled.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:17 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
#11. Make punts a strategy-based game. Cover the field in hexagons. No one moves until the returner fields the punt. After that, a bell rings every two seconds, and upon each ring, players may move from one hexagon to the next. To account for speed, some players will get two hexagons of movement after every 3rd or 5th or 6th bell. If two players land in the same hexagon, they have to skip one bell until the defender can "disengage". As soon as someone gets into the same hexagon as the returner, he's considered tackled.
:-) sadly, I fear this is what its coming to
[Reply]
BWillie 06:17 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by stevieray:
Prolly should just eliminate the forward pass, so WR's don't have to sustain contact.

Goodell is the worst thing to ever happen to the NFL.
I really do not like Trump - but the NFL should probably just get a GM who doesn't care what anybody thinks like our orange leader. And just tells people to kick rocks.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 07:54 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I really do not like Trump - but the NFL should probably just get a GM who doesn't care what anybody thinks like our orange leader. And just tells people to kick rocks.
Uh.....I see someone did not see the other thread about this type of post.....
[Reply]
big nasty kcnut 08:05 PM 12-06-2018
Get rid of block in the back penalty.
[Reply]
TribalElder 08:09 PM 12-06-2018
after 10 yards it's anyones ball
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:27 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by BWillie:
There's a lot of evidence that Goodell doesn't care what I think.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Up