ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 110 of 202
« First < 1060100106107108109110 111112113114120160 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
DaFace 01:06 PM 09-29-2018
Yes, it's in the other thread. Bite me.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/...ty-on-his-heel

REPORT: Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
New information on Berry’s sore heel injury emerged on Saturday.

By Pete Sweeney Sep 29, 2018, 1:15pm CDT

Eric Berry has not practiced or played for the Kansas City Chiefs since August 11 in St. Joseph, Missouri, because of what the team has described as a “sore heel.”

The last we heard from the Chiefs athletic training staff was in early September, when head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder described the injury as “literally day to day.”

More information on Berry’s injury emerged Saturday morning, via NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo:

Mike Garafolo: “My understanding, and I’ve spoken to people familiar with his injury situation. He’s got what’s called a Haglund’s deformity in that Achilles. That’s a bone spur that basically digs into the Achilles. Shaun O’ Hara, our colleague at NFL Network, he had it. I spoke to him this week. He said it is extremely painful. He actually used a more colorful word that I won’t use here. It’s just something that continues to irritate the area. Some guys have been able to play with it—you get a shoe here or there, you can adjust … but that’s what’s going on. It’s going to be a pain management thing. It’s not like this thing will tear the Achilles necessarily. A lot of these cases don’t result in a tear, but that’s why with Berry right now, he has not played, and they’ve been doing OK. That’s going to allow them a little bit more patience with Berry, but it is extremely painful.”

This provides a little more clarity than Berry’s injury simply being a “sore heel,” which is good, but what’s bad is there still seems to be no timetable. Remember, Berry missed nearly the entirety of the 2017 season due to a ruptured Achilles on the other leg.

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid was mum on the injury when asked about it Saturday afternoon after the Chiefs’ final practice of the week.

Berry is officially ruled doubtful heading into the Monday night game against the Denver Broncos.

----

Here are the notes from our in-house medical expert, Aaron Borgmann:

A lot of talk today regarding something known as a Haglund’s deformity. It was reported by a media source that the player in question suffers from this condition. This discussion is not to confirm or deny that possibility, as I can only explain the available information that we have been given. To be clear, the team has not confirmed this diagnosis and I have no advance knowledge of the player’s current condition.

The simple explanation here that it is indeed a bone spur on the backside of someone’s heel. This is frequently known as a “pump bump” from the occurrence that it is often seen in women’s fashion from the shoes that they wear. However, incidence in football players is also common, sometimes referred to as “retrocalcaneal bursitis” as well.

The bone spur irritates the bursa (fluid-filled sac) that sits between the bone and the tendon or even the tendon itself directly. This can cause a great deal of inflammation and discomfort with any sort of dynamic ankle/foot movement, worse with pressure on the spot itself.

Having one in and of itself it not uncommon, but the degree to which it bothers someone is the issue. Depending upon demands of movement, these can range from debilitating to just a nuisance. Obviously, in football players, the degree of inflammation is what dictates the level of function.

These are diagnosed both visually and radiographically and it is a situation where if you see it and player complains of certain symptoms (pain with movement in that exact spot, swelling, redness) then you can be pretty sure that is what it is.

Treatment focuses on reduction of inflammation obviously directly over the spot. This can be done both topically and through systemic medication. Soft tissue lengthening in both the calf and bottom of the foot is also done to alleviate the issue from both sides – this is due to the fact that both the calf and plantar fascia connect to the calcaneus (heel bone) on either side.

Not to be forgotten is footwear modification and adjustment. Very rigid shoes can cause this irritation, and in some athletes, I would even cut the shoe in the heel to allow room for the bump. Other options include specialized padding and friction reduction methods. Heel lifts have been shown to be helpful in some.

For this condition, non-surgical intervention is preferred to reduce the inflammation as opposed to surgical due to the immobilization period.

If the inflammation can be reduced and the function level high, many players learned to adapt their daily routines to accommodate. They may have to put in a bit more time in order to get ready due to the condition’s demands but can nonetheless get by and still perform at a high level.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 07:47 PM 11-05-2018
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I dont see this as realistic. Too risky to come back for one game.
Implication from whoever was talking about it on 610/810 was that he has a reasonable idea that his next football game is likely his last one based on the nature of his foot injury.
[Reply]
Bowser 07:49 PM 11-05-2018
At this point I think we're and unexpected 8-1 and haven't particularly needed him to get there. I certainly don't think Berry is any kind of slouch or candyass, just look at everything he's fought through to get to his All-Pro level, so it kind of feels they're just holding him back to me. No practice, no nothing, just conditioning, and they'll dust him off and rev him up the closer December comes so he really CAN be ready for the playoffs. That, or he's been advised that if he plays and gets hurt again, that might be all she wrote for his career. One or the other.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 07:50 PM 11-05-2018
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Implication from whoever was talking about it on 610/810 was that he has a reasonable idea that his next football game is likely his last one based on the nature of his foot injury.
Then fuck the Chiefs in that scenario for continuing to lie throughout the season.
[Reply]
Frazod 07:53 PM 11-05-2018
That's crazy. What, did Uma Thurman nail his ankle with the five finger exploding heart punch? :-)
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 07:53 PM 11-05-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
*** DISCLAIMER ***

I'm not a doctor, nor am I privy to Eric Berry's exact medical situation.

Every report we've read so far is that there's no risk of further injury. It's a pain condition and that's really all it is (although it might be severe pain).

I believe it can put pressure on and /or aggravate the achilles and cause tears or rupture.

Surgery can be as simple as removing the bony bump or as complex as tendon sectioning and replacement (which I would have to think could be career ending for a pro athlete).
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 07:57 PM 11-05-2018
SMH the guy might have an injury that could be cleared with surgery and folks are talking about "last game"? :-)
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:57 PM 11-05-2018
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats.:
I believe it can put pressure on and /or aggravate the achilles and cause tears or rupture.

Surgery can be as simple as removing the bony bump or as complex as tendon sectioning and replacement (which I would have to think could be career ending for a pro athlete).
Complete speculation on my part but the only thing that makes sense is he has been told its a crap shoot. He might make it 10 games, he might **** it up in 2 games etc...they just don't really know.

So they are rehabbing as long as they possibly can then will see what happens. :-)

The thing to keep in mind here is if he plays with this injury they may be worried he over compensates and blows out his repaired achilles again. This is the heal that was sore when he blew the other one last year.
[Reply]
Strongside 08:19 PM 11-05-2018
I’ve got a haglunds deformity on my dick.

Chicks LOVE it.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 08:24 PM 11-05-2018
Originally Posted by Frazod:
This is one of the dumbest goddamn things I've ever seen posted here.

I'm not jealous of Berry - I just want him to DO HIS FUCKING JOB. The job he gets paid millions of dollars to do. Or at the very least, know why he can't.
PA Squirrel Tits is a member of the CP pom pom club, and one of the dumbest posters here. His garbage takes on Smith are legendary, and all he knows is "muh Chiefs".

Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Then fuck the Chiefs in that scenario for continuing to lie throughout the season.
Not to mention putting the rest of the team in a garbage situation for almost two seasons...

There's a reason that Dorsey has been so hush-hush about all of this since leaving Kansas City, and I'm 100% sure that if we knew all of the facts, it would be enough to light up the torches, grab the pitchforks, and head on down to 1 Arrowhead Drive.
[Reply]
Marcellus 08:29 PM 11-05-2018
Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate:
PA Squirrel Tits is a member of the CP pom pom club, and one of the dumbest posters here. His garbage takes on Smith are legendary, and all he knows is "muh Chiefs".

Not to mention putting the rest of the team in a garbage situation for almost two seasons...

There's a reason that Dorsey has been so hush-hush about all of this since leaving Kansas City, and I'm 100% sure that if we knew all of the facts, it would be enough to light up the torches, grab the pitchforks, and head on down to 1 Arrowhead Drive.
:-) Dorsey cant talk about a player on another team's health dude. Come on man no GM does that, ever. Its not allowed.
[Reply]
DRM08 08:33 PM 11-05-2018
So he helps them beat the Patriots in the playoffs and then it's on his teammates to win the Super Bowl. I tend to think if they can get past New England they will win the whole thing.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 08:40 PM 11-05-2018
:-) Dorsey cant talk about a player on another team's health dude. Come on man no GM does that, ever. Its not allowed.

This is true and it makes for one very convenient cover for the Chiefs. That said, Dorsey has not said one single thing about his firing since leaving Kansas City even after he got a job with the Browns. At that point he could have spilled the beans on anything and everything without actually disclosing the specifics of Berry's health issues.

But he knows how the game is played, and he knows that it's wiser for him to just keep his mouth shut, do his job in Cleveland, and go on.
I'm just glad I got to experience pro ball when defense could still play, and before Kotex became both a sponsor and an issuer of game day equipment to both players and fans. And all of that pink shit too( no offense to boob health ).
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 08:49 PM 11-05-2018
Dude came back from CANCER in 8 months.

It's been nearly double that over a heel issue.
[Reply]
Marcellus 08:55 PM 11-05-2018
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Dude came back from CANCER in 8 months.

It's been nearly double that over a heel issue.
What does that tell you?
[Reply]
BryanBusby 08:58 PM 11-05-2018
What does that tell you?
ERIC BERRY JUST JOINED THE NWO
[Reply]
Page 110 of 202
« First < 1060100106107108109110 111112113114120160 > Last »
Up