ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 62 of 68
« First < 12525859606162 63646566 > Last »
Media Center>Zack Snyder to direct next Superman film
tk13 10:44 PM 10-04-2010
http://heatvision.hollywoodreporter....medium=twitter

Nolan and Zack Snyder, definitely an interesting team. There are already rumors now that Zod is going to be the villain.

I have to say I'm excited that it "appears" they aren't going to go totally out of left field and do something stupid and out of character for Superman.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:42 PM 06-24-2013
Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn:
And you know they aren't gonna aim all guns at Nolan. I'm not even sure how much input/influence he hand on Man of Steel, anyway.

Maybe Goyer's in some hot water, too?

But, yeah, if they stick with Snyder and he botches the sequel, that'll be hell to rebound from. They'll almost have to reboot all over again.

Though, I've seen that they're already moving ahead with JL plans based on this version of Supes. There are tons of implications in this whole thing.
Dude, absolutely not. You are way off base here.

Warner's got the June 14th weekend to themselves. "Man of Steel" beat Warner's projections of $75 million by $50 million dollars and broke box office records for June.

Monster's U and World War Z both exceeded analysts estimates as well, with Z earning nearly 30% more than projected, so it's easy to see where MOS's potential audience went this past weekend.

MOS had earned more than $170 million from global partnerships and product placement before the movie was even releases, and that's on a budget of $225 million.

With its worldwide gross at $400 million after just 10 days, no one's getting any heat.
[Reply]
Red Brooklyn 03:49 PM 06-24-2013
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Dude, absolutely not. You are way off base here.

Warner's got the June 14th weekend to themselves. "Man of Steel" beat analyst projections by a wide margin and broke box office records for June.

Monster's U and World War Z both exceeded analysts estimates as well, with Z earning nearly 30% more than projected, so it's easy to see where MOS's potential audience went this past weekend.

MOS had earned more than $170 million from global partnerships and product placement before the movie was even releases, and that's on a budget of $225 million.

With its worldwide gross at $400 million after just 10 days, no one's getting any heat.
Even if this thing continues to slide?

I know a sequel was guaranteed a long time ago. But all the negative reviews and audience reactions don't raise any red flags? They aren't concerned that the sequel will (if not totally bomb) underwhelm and damage DC if something doesn't change?

You know a lot more about it than I do. That just surprises me. I don't know. I haven't even seen the movie. A 65% slide against mediocre competition doesn't bode well, to me. Not that what I think matters to WB.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:51 PM 06-24-2013
Even if this thing continues to slide?

I know a sequel was guaranteed a long time ago. But all the negative reviews and audience reactions don't raise any red flags? They aren't concerned that the sequel will (if not totally bomb) underwhelm and damage DC if something doesn't change?

You know a lot more about it than I do. That just surprises me. I don't know. I haven't even seen the movie. A 65% slide against mediocre competition doesn't bode well, to me. Not that what I think matters to WB.
It's a 65% slide against $125 million, not a 65% slide against $75 million (Warner Brother's in house protection for opening weekend).

It's all about the opening.

Plus, it was a tough Week Two competition. I don't think anyone in their right mind thought it would compete against Monster's U, especially given the lack of kids films currently available.
[Reply]
Red Brooklyn 03:58 PM 06-24-2013
It's a 65% slide against $125 million, not a 65% slide against $75 million (Warner Brother's in house protection for opening weekend).

It's all about the opening.

Plus, it was a tough Week Two competition, I don't think anyone in their right mind thought it would compete against Monster's U, especially given the lack of kids films currently available.
Sure, but I think most are surprised that WWZ beat it, no? Seems to me, based on what I'm reading today, that it exceeded expectations.

I just don't know anyone really in the business. I know plenty of writers and independent artists, but not a lot of execs or "professionals." So my view of things gets skewed by internet hearsay/speculation and the opinions of regular folks.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:03 PM 06-24-2013
Sure, but I think most are surprised that WWZ beat it, no? Seems to me, based on what I'm reading today, that it exceeded expectations.

I just don't know anyone really in the business. I know plenty of writers and independent artists, but not a lot of execs or "professionals." So my view of things gets skewed by internet hearsay/speculation and the opinions of regular folks.
Look at it this way: Warner's would have been thrilled with a $75 million dollar opening. If it had fallen by 50% in week two, it would have brought in $37.5 for a total of $112 million.

Instead, it did $125 and $41 million for a 10 day total of $210 million.

They're happy.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 04:08 PM 06-24-2013
The box office is on fire right now. it's almost as if there are too many big films out right now. Or maybe not, because there have been few flops this summer. We have a huge films opening again over the next several weeks. White House Down this next weekend.......The Lone Ranger + Despicable Me 2 July 4th weekend....Pacific Rim the week after that. Will the market expand or will one or more of these films underperform?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:23 PM 06-24-2013
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
The box office is on fire right now. it's almost as if there are too many big films out right now. Or maybe not, because there have been few flops this summer. We have a huge films opening again over the next several weeks. White House Down this next weekend.......The Lone Ranger + Despicable Me 2 July 4th weekend....Pacific Rim the week after that. Will the market expand or will one or more of these films underperform?
I think if any film has the possibility of under-performing, it's The Lone Ranger. I just don't see the widespread appeal of that film, especially when it's up against Man of Steel, Despicable Me and so on.

I hope The Lone Ranger does well because one of my good friends produced the soundtrack (not the score, the accompanying soundtrack). But Armie Hammer isn't a star (yet) and there's been far more mockery of Johnny's portrayal and headress than love.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 04:29 PM 06-24-2013
I think if any film has the possibility of under-performing, it's The Lone Ranger. I just don't see the widespread appeal of that film, especially when it's up against Man of Steel, Despicable Me and so on.

I hope The Lone Ranger does well because one of my good friends produced the soundtrack (not the score, the accompanying soundtrack). But Armie Hammer isn't a star (yet) and there's been far more mockery of Johnny's portrayal and headress than love.
You might be right. I also think Pacific Rim might underachieve as well. I don't see it having much female or older audience appeal, plus it's original. It seems like audiences right now are going for built in awareness stuff based on books, or comics, sequels, etc.....

But personally I'm excited to see it. Have you heard anything about Ranger? I think Disneyland premiered it the other night?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:34 PM 06-24-2013
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Have you heard anything about Ranger? I think Disneyland premiered it the other night?
I haven't asked about the movie itself. People here that work in Hollywood were and are pissed at Disney and the producer because they only filmed in Los Angeles for 10 days but spent three months in New Mexico (because the state gives like a 40% rebate for filming, all of which goes into the producer's pocket).

From what I understand, they're expecting a sizable portion of the POTC crowd but I'd be shocked if they do much more than their budget.
[Reply]
Setsuna 08:22 PM 06-24-2013
The people have spoken with their wallets. All you others who didn't like it don't watch anymore and we'll be happy.
[Reply]
Lex Luthor 09:03 PM 06-24-2013
Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones:
I see I'm in the minority of thinking this movie was badass. I'm a Superman homer though as he is my favorite super hero. I'm curious as to how well the relationship between Snyder and Nolan really is because Nolan didn't wanna kill Zod. I wonder if there will be problems down the line. It's good to disagree though and get another point of view. Again, I can't wait for the sequel to see where they go from here.
You're not in the minority. There's just a very vocal minority who are seemingly compelled to repeat the same complaints about the film over and over.

Originally Posted by Setsuna:
The people have spoken with their wallets. All you others who didn't like it don't watch anymore and we'll be happy.
Amen. I can understand not liking a movie. I can understand stating that opinion on a message board, perhaps even more than once. But to repeat the same complaint over and over and over gets tiresome for those who have to read it.
[Reply]
kysirsoze 10:25 PM 06-24-2013
Originally Posted by Setsuna:
Ha. Yeah, the highest grossing films are always the best. Great take.
[Reply]
kysirsoze 10:26 PM 06-24-2013
Originally Posted by Brainiac:
Amen. I can understand not liking a movie. I can understand stating that opinion on a message board, perhaps even more than once. But to repeat the same complaint over and over and over gets tiresome for those who have to read it.
I'll have you know that I repeated MANY complaints over and over. :-)
[Reply]
kysirsoze 10:32 PM 06-24-2013
Originally Posted by Brainiac:
You're not in the minority. There's just a very vocal minority who are seemingly compelled to repeat the same complaints about the film over and over.
Also, minority based on what? WB got my money. Obviously I wasn't satisfied. Box office numbers don't prove the movie is good. Critics didn't like it and the box office dropped off significantly. I literally don't know anyone IRL who liked it.
[Reply]
007 10:36 PM 06-24-2013
Originally Posted by kysirsoze:
Also, minority based on what? WB got my money. Obviously I wasn't satisfied. Box office numbers don't prove the movie is good. Critics didn't like it and the box office dropped off significantly. I literally don't know anyone IRL who liked it.
So we aren't real?
[Reply]
Page 62 of 68
« First < 12525859606162 63646566 > Last »
Up