ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3063 of 3903
« First < 2063256329633013305330593060306130623063 30643065306630673073311331633563 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 05:19 PM 10-31-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I'm hearing of a pending EUA for a treatment coming in the next couple of days.

Not 100% sure what it is, but I'm guessing REGENERON.

Would actually be happy if I'm wrong. Something else coming out of nowhere would be welcome.
That would be a good thing.
[Reply]
sedated 05:41 PM 10-31-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Thanks. I actually seem like I am starting to get some smell and taste back. Not 100% by any means but better than it has been in days.
On the spicy food comment, I've heard astronauts love shrimp cocktail (taste buds are apparently drastically reduced in space), its light and tangy and one of the few things they can taste. Might give that a try.
[Reply]
sedated 05:44 PM 10-31-2020
At some point you have to ask what else can be done? Short of locking people in their homes it isn't a lot.
While the issue will always be politicized, I think most reasonable people agree that total lockdowns do more harm than good. Its up to individual people/businesses/regions to act responsibly...which doesn't give me great hope.

More/faster testing would definitely help. But apparently that's political too.
[Reply]
O.city 05:55 PM 10-31-2020
I think you have to look at it is a mandatory deal for care facilities. Front line workers perhaps but not sure you can force that. Kids I think are relatively safe and I wouldn't want to give mine the vaccine for a few years anyway to be honest.
After this past year I’d think there will be quite a push to get it
[Reply]
petegz28 06:04 PM 10-31-2020
Originally Posted by sedated:
On the spicy food comment, I've heard astronauts love shrimp cocktail (taste buds are apparently drastically reduced in space), its light and tangy and one of the few things they can taste. Might give that a try.
Had some tacos tonight. Could taste everything mostly. Still no 100% but getting there. Smell is getting a lot better too.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:06 PM 10-31-2020
Originally Posted by sedated:
While the issue will always be politicized, I think most reasonable people agree that total lockdowns do more harm than good. Its up to individual people/businesses/regions to act responsibly...which doesn't give me great hope.

More/faster testing would definitely help. But apparently that's political too.
I still go to therapeutics. I mean if we had a way to treat it so people knew the risk was truly like getting the flu I think it changes the whole game.
[Reply]
O.city 06:23 PM 10-31-2020
I still go to therapeutics. I mean if we had a way to treat it so people knew the risk was truly like getting the flu I think it changes the whole game.
We don’t really have a therapeutic for the flu with a very high efficacy iirc. I’m regards to antivirals, they’re just not easy.

We all have prior exposure to the flu so some immunity, we have vaccines and we can treat the symptoms.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:39 PM 10-31-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
We don’t really have a therapeutic for the flu with a very high efficacy iirc. I’m regards to antivirals, they’re just not easy.

We all have prior exposure to the flu so some immunity, we have vaccines and we can treat the symptoms.
Okay well I guess my point is if we can get to the point where we can treat the Covid symptoms to decrease fatality and other damage. I know that's asking a lot but why not?
[Reply]
O.city 06:48 PM 10-31-2020
Okay well I guess my point is if we can get to the point where we can treat the Covid symptoms to decrease fatality and other damage. I know that's asking a lot but why not?
It’s a virus we’ve known about for less than a year. They’ll get there eventually, but it’ll be a while id imagine.

Medicine takes a while
[Reply]
dirk digler 07:02 PM 10-31-2020
I was watching 60 minutes 2-3 weeks ago they were talking to experts and doctors about covid and they asked if they would rather have a vaccine or a therapeutic and they all picked the therapeutic. I was kind of surprised about that but it does make sense after thinking about it. A single pill would be wonderful.
[Reply]
el borracho 07:03 PM 10-31-2020

[Reply]
petegz28 07:33 PM 10-31-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I was watching 60 minutes 2-3 weeks ago they were talking to experts and doctors about covid and they asked if they would rather have a vaccine or a therapeutic and they all picked the therapeutic. I was kind of surprised about that but it does make sense after thinking about it. A single pill would be wonderful.
I have always leaned towards treatment vs. vaccine for the simple fact that most people worry about "what if I get it?" vs. "a vaccine will save me".

That might change over time.
[Reply]
O.city 07:49 PM 10-31-2020
I have always leaned towards treatment vs. vaccine for the simple fact that most people worry about "what if I get it?" vs. "a vaccine will save me".

That might change over time.
With viruses you’ve gotta get antivirals on board super early. That’s tough.

By the time you get sick enough to get treatment, it’s too far along to really do much for viral replication.

Just treat symptoms and hope body beats it

It’s why a vaccine that stops infection and transmission is always preferable
[Reply]
johnny961 08:29 PM 10-31-2020
I wish that I had a link...but if memory serves me correctly I was reading that Pfizer was starting a phase 1 clinical trial on an experimental drug that was in development to treat SARS during the outbreak that fizzled out years ago. From my limited understanding, the virus that caused SARS and the virus that causes Covid-19 are similar in several ways and that this drug that was in development in anticipation of a massive SARS outbreak has shown activity in the lab against Covid-19 as well. I would think that something that was already partially developed that works against covid-19 would speed up the process of acquiring a viable treatment by quite a bit.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 09:50 PM 10-31-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Europe is shutting down again. People are going to revolt like never before.
I've no idea what you do. I started to make a post yesterday. Belgium had 20k, then 24k new cases per day. It's like us having 700 or 800k new cases daily if my math is right. They had a mere 192 new cases on Sept. 1.

Switzerland went from sub 100k cases all time to 155k in 4 days. It just seems to be spreading like crazy over there :-)
[Reply]
Page 3063 of 3903
« First < 2063256329633013305330593060306130623063 30643065306630673073311331633563 > Last »
Up