ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 251 of 360
« First < 151201241247248249250251 252253254255261301351 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official Car and Gearhead Thread***
BigRedChief 12:29 PM 03-17-2015
Seems like we need one on here to talk cars, mods and the coolness of your or their car.

Interested? Chime in
[Reply]
cooper barrett 10:45 AM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by srvy:
Cooper look at some 58-63 Fiat 1100d sedans and English Fords of the same vintage. I was 7 or 8 when Dad had this car I remember something about Fiat. Could be they were sold or imported in Europe thru Fiat I dunno what the connection was.
OK I knew this car existed, I knew it was at one time a big seller but knew nothing about the car. When you posted the 1963 Ad I get a little stoked about this Fiat I knew nothing about. I got carried away, a little.

Take a look, the rear windows through me a curve on both the Fiats and the Cortina. the Cortina 4 door has a roll down window that needs a filler glass to operate. That and the hood/ grill didn't fit the Fiat snub nose.

This is what I learned so far, I am going to be doing some homework as this car was special back in the day. Especially the Lotus Cortina. Yes I said Lotus. Inthe early 60's they built these.

OK I looked and I see Lotus as the only partner company with Ford on the Cordina. Ford built most of the car with German drivetrains or at least the GT and Super models. More later on that.

"Cortina, Developed by Lotus" later called the " Lotus Cortina" (2 door only) were built using only Ford's body shells and built by Lotus using non Ford parts. They also developed but did not build other cars such as the Corsair GT V-4 and the "Cortina GT" for Ford . The GT had a Ford driveline package of choice ( see below) , with Lotus's collaboration, on steering suspension, brakes, interior fitments etc. Like ordering an IROC handling package for an 80's Camaro with a V6 or V8 engine.... you got all the good stuff, (seats dut not dashes, no aluminum doors or the super good stuff of the flagship Lotus Cortina. You could get the drivetrain options from Ford's 3 choices. The Corsair GT 4V was a bigger car with a German made V-4 engine with the Lotus tuning package option. The Cortina and the Corsair may have been Fords first "Tuner" cars

Ford shells and Lotus guts. That's the "Lotus Cortina" which was first sold in Ford dealers and later by Lotus. They were custom painted shells fitted with Ford made aluminum doors, hood, and trunk lids. Everything else was engineered, sourced or built for the car
Lotus spec'ed close ratio tranny's with alloy housings, front disc brakes, handling packages and the Lotus 1.6 engine with twin cams alloy hemi heads, dual Weber carbs and Full flow exhaust systems with Lotus tuned headers. Instrument clusters, special seats and trim. I guess they were hot and that's an understatement as the awards list is impressive. I have not read up on the Corsair GT or the "Cortina GT models but it looks like they were Lotus engineered option packages with performance packages spec'ed by Lotus vs just having the car lowered as part of the an engine upgrade utilizing Ford's German "Kent" Engines. Like upgrading to a IROC but not getting what was literally a race car in an ugly shell. Lotus even made a run of 30 total race prepped cars at almost twice the price, they sold 51.

left Cortina GT, Center is the Corsair GT V-4 and right the Lotus Cortina.

Ford "Cortina" included the "Consul Cortina" named after the previous car, the "Consul Classic" this model quickly became just "Cortina" it was powered by a 1.0 and later a 1.2l engines, then a lowered, more powerful tuned 1200cc Cortina GT, not a Lotus tuner package, but lowering it helped the looks and handling for a budget hot rod. The Cortina Super 1500 1.5 was the same car as the GT but with a bigger engine. There were also weird trims that popped up for limited runs.
There were all kinds of variations as you could get a Lotus package on cars such as a 2 dr, 4 dr, or wagon or you could just get the lowered GT trim on the tuned 1200 or 1500 super engines in all three with or without the Lotus packages,
The 5 dr wagon could be had with not only a woody trim option but with a "Cortina Super 1500" engine and the Lotus package too. Marking it the first "Shooting brake. It must have been what every British June Cleaver was using for grocery getter. in the early 60's.
:-):-):-)

Srvy: If your Mom's car was a 4 door Ford it was a Cortina or a Cortina GT and defiantly NOT a Fiat.:-):-) The true Lotus Cortina was a 2 door only even though some painted the green stripes on the GT and lowered models.
It could have had 3 engine options and 3 suspension options. If it had either the Ford lowering parts or Lotus packages on it, the reason you dad was bitching was because Lotus and Ford were changing specs and vendors every few weeks, or it seemed like it, so that may have been the issue...Needless to say if she had one of the 4 doors with the Lotus GT package it would be worth maybe $20-25K ($40-50 if it were the Lotus Cortina.)

I put a few labels on the pics, Enjoy.

63 Cortina 1500 Super 5 door Wagon with Woody option.

63 Consul Cortina 4 door followed by the 2 door Voted car of the year 1963 notice the ride height.

To muddy the water a bit more, the 1st gen got a facelift:
This is the 4 door 1500 Super in the GT Lotus trim. Not a true Lotus car but has the stripe mentioned earlier.

https://www.autoclassics.com/advert/31066

Ad for Lotus speed demon specs.0 - 100 MPH? 30 seconds? huh?

Lotus Factory (All "Lotus Cortinas" were 2 door, white, with green stripes)

lots of links to follow.
http://www.lotuscortinainfo.com

Photo albums '64 4 dr Standard Cortina and '66 Cortrina GT 1500 Super w/ Lotus package

http://www.classicwise.co.uk/cars/19...ted-miles-new/

If you are still awake...

I think the History on this car, it's tuning history is interesting to say the least, Are there pictures of the car or did your Dad burn them?

[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:57 AM 01-25-2018
Did anyone else catch this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlRKSmHgzdE&t=783s

Blue veined throbber.

And [though it's far from the centerpiece] the Morgan is pretty close in pedigree to the Lotus 7 mentioned above. All we need now is some news on the Caterham.

[Reply]
cooper barrett 12:59 PM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
I know a guy who has one of those in his basement. He also has a lotus 7 series one I think its what they call it.
I grew up as a kid going to parking lot races, mainly Bendix and King Radio, with a dentist who had one. (series 2 Super 7 1500CC as I recall.) It was a kit as shown below., Temperamental bitch she was but when hitting on all 4 she was a beautiful sight to see run. I remember he had teeth in the grill which was fitting.

There were a couple of variants of the "7" cars just within the series one cars and lots of changes both inside the series and as they evolved. It's hard to keep track of all of them. For example there were 3 steering linkages in the series 1 alone.

This is one of the last series one's made:

This is an early car:

If your guy has a "real" series one it will be one of less than a hundred made each year. There were a few 1960's sold but only a handful as they were leftovers. Very rare cars with weird builds.

Do you know what the engine or code might be as they made 5 models over 3 years with a couple of special builds such as the BMC-A's (2)one for Brittan and an America, a dual carb model from a Sprite. The Climax Super Seven or later the "C". had hight output "Climax" engines. Ford engines were "F's" as were the majority sold. The Ford was a Side Valve in the Series 1.
I know of of a person/ company who would possibly have something like this stashed in a collection but I wouldn't call where he keeps his cars a basement. I tried buying a TR6 off him in the early 2000's and lets just say he gave me the Hometown" treatment. As I recall he was an airplane buff too.

About this Cortina is it a white 2 door car with a green stripe down the side?

if not is there anything you remember about it like the engine?
[Reply]
cooper barrett 01:24 PM 01-25-2018
Vaguely was that on corner of Armour and swift in the old Allen Chevrolet dealership?
No that was where I used to get foreign car stuff but mostly British IIRC

I do recall getting a module , pick up, and coil setup there as MG's was shit. Like GM's and Ford's first electronic ignitions, not start sometimes or just die driving down the road and not restart. GF was not a happy girl, and she was worth the $400 to keep happy.

The place I am talking about is south of KC (black cat) Brakes and close to NKC Auto Trim. They would not even look at anything but a Fiat.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 01:40 PM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Did anyone else catch this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlRKSmHgzdE&t=783s

Blue veined throbber.

And [though it's far from the centerpiece] the Morgan is pretty close in pedigree to the Lotus 7 mentioned above. All we need now is some news on the Caterham.
A Morgan is a gentleman's car, all refined and shit, the Seven is a roudy redheaded stepchild with no undergarments in comparison. :-):-):-)

Have you ever seen a list of knock off kit and garage builder cars bases on the Lotus 7? There must be hundreds. I was Glad to see Caterham pick up the 7 license rights and think it will make a great electric car :-):-):-):-) Just kidding they are great cars but what Aieil makes is better.

[Reply]
Marcellus 03:06 PM 01-25-2018
Time to inject some manliness back into this thread -

Just ordered a new Wilwood 4 piston rear disc caliper set up for my car. It currently has the old GM Metric Caddy caliper set up and its just kind of crappy and its too tall and bulky for the clearance I need to drop my car another 1" or so in the back.

This is a pretty genius set up with the parking brake being in a hub in the middle of the rotor.

With the new wheels I plan to get soon the rotor and caliper will be pretty exposed so they needed upgraded anyway.

[Reply]
SAUTO 03:10 PM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
I grew up as a kid going to parking lot races, mainly Bendix and King Radio, with a dentist who had one. (series 2 Super 7 1500CC as I recall.) It was a kit as shown below., Temperamental bitch she was but when hitting on all 4 she was a beautiful sight to see run. I remember he had teeth in the grill which was fitting.

There were a couple of variants of the "7" cars just within the series one cars and lots of changes both inside the series and as they evolved. It's hard to keep track of all of them. For example there were 3 steering linkages in the series 1 alone.

This is one of the last series one's made:

This is an early car:

If your guy has a "real" series one it will be one of less than a hundred made each year. There were a few 1960's sold but only a handful as they were leftovers. Very rare cars with weird builds.

Do you know what the engine or code might be as they made 5 models over 3 years with a couple of special builds such as the BMC-A's (2)one for Brittan and an America, a dual carb model from a Sprite. The Climax Super Seven or later the "C". had hight output "Climax" engines. Ford engines were "F's" as were the majority sold. The Ford was a Side Valve in the Series 1.
I know of of a person/ company who would possibly have something like this stashed in a collection but I wouldn't call where he keeps his cars a basement. I tried buying a TR6 off him in the early 2000's and lets just say he gave me the Hometown" treatment. As I recall he was an airplane buff too.

About this Cortina is it a white 2 door car with a green stripe down the side?

if not is there anything you remember about it like the engine?

yeah its real... it goes all over the country to invitation only shows...
:-)

the cortina is red.

and its in the fucking basement of his house, i know what a basement is...it's got a sliding glass door that he took out to put the cars in.
[Reply]
SAUTO 04:46 PM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Time to inject some manliness back into this thread -

Just ordered a new Wilwood 4 piston rear disc caliper set up for my car. It currently has the old GM Metric Caddy caliper set up and its just kind of crappy and its too tall and bulky for the clearance I need to drop my car another 1" or so in the back.

This is a pretty genius set up with the parking brake being in a hub in the middle of the rotor.

With the new wheels I plan to get soon the rotor and caliper will be pretty exposed so they needed upgraded anyway.

thats a nice set up.
[Reply]
hometeam 06:24 PM 01-25-2018
just slapped some hoosier dr2s on the TA today since it was nice...

went from a 275/60 in my old MT ET streets to a 275/50.. holy shit i never saw so much wheel gap over a 10% aspect ratio change.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 02:28 AM 01-26-2018
Originally Posted by hometeam:

How long will those last?
:-):-):-):-)

went from a 275/60 in my old MT ET streets to a 275/50.. holy shit i never saw so much wheel gap over a 10% aspect ratio change.
1.8 "

Handy when too lazy to do the math https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...0r15-275-50r15

It should have been a 325/50.... but rims are a consideration must be 9"-11" rims and sidewall clearance may be an issue

Hoosier DOT Drag Radial Tires 17318DR2 325/50R15

........................................old 275/60 new 325/50 9"-11"
Diameter inches(mm)......... 27.99 (711)......27.8 (706) -0.2 (-5) -0.7%
Width inches (mm)...............10.83 (275).....12.8-13.25 (325).............1.97 (50) 18.2%
Circum. inches (mm).........87.94 (2233.67)......87.32 (2217.96) -0.62 (-15.71) -0.7%
Sidewall Height inches (mm).....6.5 (165)........6.4 (162.5) -0.1 (-2.5) -1.5%
Revolutions per mile (km).......720.49 (447.69)....725.6 (450.86) 5.1 (3.17) 0.7%

I used to use the Miata calculator but it sucks now.
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:31 AM 01-26-2018
Originally Posted by hometeam:

I went the exact opposite direction a while back, makes a big difference.

I'm putting 18's on my car later this year, thinking I'll try to stick to a 27" tire on back.
[Reply]
srvy 02:38 PM 01-26-2018
Originally Posted by

I think the History on this car, it's tuning history is interesting to say the least,[B
:
Are there pictures of the car or did your Dad burn them?[/B][/B]
Dad was a photo enthusiast he had pictures in every coffee end table in there home stuffed to the gills. I also remember 8mm home movies where that car appeared. If I ever find the time I will try and search them out.

I think you need to rename yourself Google Barrett :-)
[Reply]
cooper barrett 02:54 PM 01-26-2018
Dad was a photo enthusiast he had pictures in every coffee end table in there home stuffed to the gills. I also remember 8mm home movies where that car appeared. If I ever find the time I will try and search them out.

I think you need to rename yourself Google Barrett :-)
I got interested in the Lotus Cortina, as it evolved, it was so Lotus...

The Cortina was a she box on wheels but the UK had worse.
[Reply]
SAUTO 06:03 PM 01-26-2018
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
I got interested in the Lotus Cortina, as it evolved, it was so Lotus...

The Cortina was a she box on wheels but the UK had worse.
You're full of shit. You got interested when he posted it and googled it. Now you are an expert that knew it all the whole time.

You didnt know that lotus was in on it previously for sure. (I did , why do you think a lotus collector has it, but left that out on purpose ) or else you would have said that from the beginning .

Liars aren't impressive.
[Reply]
SAUTO 05:20 PM 01-27-2018
Originally Posted by mac459:
Shit Jason I'm going to have to ride the bike down and just start hanging out with you so I can see all these cool cars
Dude ... when you come get the motor we might be able to go check out the old man's cars...
[Reply]
Page 251 of 360
« First < 151201241247248249250251 252253254255261301351 > Last »
Up