ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 791
« First < 61213141516 171819202666116516 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>2019 Free agency Thread
O.city 03:24 PM 02-05-2019
We don't really have one of these yet, so figured we could use this as a place to discuss potential free agent acquisitions and what we would like to look for them to bring in.

If any of you guys are interested, heres a good place to do some research.

https://overthecap.com/
[Reply]
SAUTO 12:24 PM 02-15-2019
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
I have outside hope we can get him on a one year prove it deal.
Prove what? He's a top 5 safety.

I really think we might trade Ford for Collins
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:25 PM 02-15-2019
Originally Posted by SAUTO:

Are you cutting Houston in that scenario? Or do you think he'll take a paycut?
[Reply]
Buckweath 12:28 PM 02-15-2019

At this point, I can just laugh at some fans who think Ford might not be playing for this team next year.

The guy will be tagged and play for this defense next year. It is that simple.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:31 PM 02-15-2019
Originally Posted by ChiefAshhole1056:
I'm not sure how I can get on board with the "cut Houston" mindset. He may not be living up to his very hefty salary but overall he is still a plus player at a premier position and is very much so a leader within the locker room. Even if he is cut, I don't see the moves that can be made with the savings that will end up improving the team more than what we are already at with Houston there.

I get CP being cranky about overpaying a guy, but at the end of the day I'd consider Houston a top 10 performer for us last year and I don't see how letting him go would make this team better and let's also realize Spags will likely not be sending him into coverage nearly as much as Bob did, so that in its own should improve his rush/pressure numbers and therefore ease the butthurt that many may have with him.

Well-look at like this-
In a 4-3, many are advocating that Houston is part of the LB corps and should play SAM. Now, he's capable; but if he's your SAM, he's going to be in pass coverage 90% of the time. He'll get the odd blitz here and there to rush. So all of you guys that were screaming "what is Houston doing in coverage!?" had better get used to it.
I like Houston, and if we can get him down to...say..$15m and put him in at RDE, lining up next to Jones on the weakside, taking away his coverage responsbilities (other than the odd zone blitz) and just let him set the edge and get after QB's, then I think that's a do-able situation and he'll do well.

Ford is a very good edge SPEED rusher. He's pretty bad at everything else. Like Zombo bad. Below average. Not starting quality.

Everyone gets enamored with some particular stats-but they don't always tell the whole story. Want to know why Ford had such a big sack year? Because A) he was healthy and B) Houston plays across from him and C) Because Mahomes and company were dropping 30+ every week, a lot of teams were forced to throw all the time to try to catch up. That = more opportunities = inflated sack totals.

Not saying the guy can't get after the QB, he can; but at what cost? How much of a problem would you say our run defense was this year? How many games would you say we LOST due to our inability to stop the run, especially in key situations?

It's a little like Peters. "But he's an INT machine! He has more INT's than anyone in the last three years!" Yeah, BUT how many times did his freelancing and/or not tackling screw us in the long run? TEAM defense is reliant on everyone doing their jobs. Being elite in ONE AREA while being BELOW AVERAGE in every other area is actually counter-productive.

As defensive end, I would argue that Houston would be a better all-around player than Ford. I'm confident in that because Houston has ALWAYS been a better all-around player than Ford. If you can get Houston's number down to around Ford's cap hit, then you tag and trade Ford. You'll get something like a #2 or late #1. Someone in a 3-4 will be enamored with that speed rush. Draft Houston's replacement with a #1 or #2 and your DE situation is set for now and for the future.
[Reply]
SAUTO 12:33 PM 02-15-2019
Originally Posted by Buckweath:
At this point, I can just laugh at some fans who think Ford might not be playing for this team next year.

The guy will be tagged and play for this defense next year. It is that simple.
At this point I laugh at people that think they know without a doubt what's going to happen.
[Reply]
SAUTO 12:34 PM 02-15-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Are you cutting Houston in that scenario? Or do you think he'll take a paycut?
What does Houston have to do with that? I think he fits next year regardless
[Reply]
New World Order 12:37 PM 02-15-2019

Collins is a FA.

Unless he's franchised.
[Reply]
Buckweath 12:38 PM 02-15-2019
Originally Posted by New World Order:
Collins is a FA.

Unless he's franchised.
Pretty sure he knew that. He was saying swap tagged players.
[Reply]
SAUTO 12:38 PM 02-15-2019
Originally Posted by New World Order:
Collins is a FA
So is ford.

It still works.

We franchise Ford, they franchise Collins.

We trade
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:41 PM 02-15-2019
What does Houston have to do with that? I think he fits next year regardless
Just a question about what you would do with Houston in that situation.
[Reply]
In58men 12:42 PM 02-15-2019
So is ford.

It still works.

We trade
I would throw in a 3rd round pick as well.
[Reply]
SAUTO 12:43 PM 02-15-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Just a question about what you would do with Houston in that situation.
I'd see if he'd take a cut. If not I think he still sticks around one more year.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:43 PM 02-15-2019
So is ford.

It still works.

We trade
I would do that in a heartbeat.
[Reply]
SAUTO 12:46 PM 02-15-2019
Originally Posted by In58men:
I would throw in a 3rd round pick as well.
I probably wouldn't.

Dee is worth more. BUT his contract is going to be more also.

IMO it's a fair trade. We are taking a very good player that plays a position that's seemingly been devalued in the past year and giving up a very good pass rusher. We come out a little behind in compensation but quite a bit ahead salary cap wise
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:52 PM 02-15-2019
It all comes down to this really-

IF we're keeping the big 3 (Berry, Houston, Ford) then we're rolling with the same guys as the #31 Red Carpet Defense next year albeit with another defense heavy draft class added. There will be no big changes made, no free agent signings of anyone you've ever heard of. IF we do that, then we'll find out exactly how much of the problem was coaching and scheme, so I guess there's that.

It may very well be that we are unable to cut Berry due to injury and get any cap relief. It seems very unlikely that we get anything resembling Pro Bowl play from him ever again.

Houston and Ford are DE's in this 4-3 under alignment. Together, they'll cost something like $37 million dollars in 2019. (roughly 20% of the entire cap.)

I think this untenable. I don't see how you can bring them all back and improve your defensive personnel at the same time.
[Reply]
Page 16 of 791
« First < 61213141516 171819202666116516 > Last »
Up