ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 19 of 221
« First < 91516171819 202122232969119 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
Radar Chief 02:18 PM 04-13-2011
Originally Posted by Bill Lundberg:
Pretty exciting day for me as a Dad. Baby girl caught her first fish with very little assistance.
I can’t quite tell, is that a little trout?
Regardless that’s just effing cool. :-) She looks pretty proud of her catch too.
[Reply]
Bill Lundberg 02:20 PM 04-13-2011
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
I can’t quite tell, is that a little trout?
Regardless that’s just effing cool. :-) She looks pretty proud of her catch too.
Yep, a little rainbow. Something her Dad's never caught!
[Reply]
Sofa King 02:25 PM 04-13-2011
Walleye's have been really nice size from Chamberlain to Fort Thompson on the Missouri River.

Lots of 20 plus inchers.
[Reply]
tooge 10:22 AM 04-14-2011
Headed up to smithville yesterday evening about 8PM. Lots of little crappie in the 8 inch range about 12 feet of water and about half way down. Only one legal fish, and I released it. They should start hittin the bank any day now
[Reply]
tooge 12:42 PM 04-14-2011
this is what a scored and fried bluegill looks like. I usually remove the head, but the more you score it, the crunchier it is. Good stuff. Tail and fins are like potato chips.
Attached: bluegill.bmp (269.2 KB) 
[Reply]
Dartgod 12:56 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by tooge:
this is what a scored and fried bluegill looks like. I usually remove the head, but the more you score it, the crunchier it is. Good stuff. Tail and fins are like potato chips.
Ugh. No thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
tooge 01:01 PM 04-14-2011
that picture doesn't do them justice. If you've ever eaten any fried fish or pressure cooked fish or canned fish, its the same princple. I didn't have a pic of one, so I just found one on google images and admit it doesn't look real apetizing. Another poster PM'd me to see how to cook them, and I wanted to show how to score them.
[Reply]
Midway Chief 05:29 PM 04-21-2011
Spoonbill snagging was great today. Started at 6:25 am and landed a 60+ pounder by 6:30. We limited out (8 total) at 9:40 am. Our 8 fish totaled 360 lbs.

[Reply]
factortobe 06:01 PM 04-21-2011
Just got back from taking my oldest daughter to taneycomo for her spring break fishing trip it was fun being out there but it was slow. The wind was pretty bad hard to keep the boat in one place.
[Reply]
Bill Lundberg 06:13 PM 05-02-2011
I went to the in-laws this weekend and hit "the pond" for about an hour Saturday morning right after a thunderstorm. I've never caught so many big bass in such a short time, ever. It was unreal. When it was all said and done I caught (3) 5 lber's a 7 lber, and a 7.5 lber.

From Drop Box

From Drop Box

From Drop Box

Best hour of bass fishing ever.
From Drop Box

From Drop Box

From Drop Box

Originally Posted by :
Thank God for trailer hooks...
From Drop Box

[Reply]
Extra Point 09:54 PM 05-02-2011
Good job, BL!

Took the wife down to Bennett Springs, Friday, and got back yesterday. Took 3 Sat and 4 Sun morn in 30 mins after each morning siren. The wife took 3 on Sat and 3 on Sun, after I got back each day, and we'd had breakfast. Long, long, time since we'd done that, all these years, now that the kids are, for the most part, out of the nest.

NOBODY was on Whistle Bridge yesterday! First time I'd seen that in AGES!
[Reply]
ZootedGranny 10:20 PM 05-02-2011
Great pics, BL.

Went to Truman last Friday, and immediately had to throw out the map work I had done the prior night because two tournaments were being held. Where I normally see one or two people in a cove, there were 8 or 9.

Broke the maps back out, put together a new plan, and my old man and I proceeded to catch about 20 in two hours, including a 5 pound catfish on a plastic worm.

Then the winds started howling, the lake started whitecapping and everyone hit the coves, so we hit the road.
[Reply]
loochy 08:57 AM 05-10-2011
Saturday morning I fished the Current River, starting just below the end of Montauk Trout Park at 6:30 a.m. and finishing a little below Tan Vat at 5:30 p.m. (with a 2 hour break for lunch and a nap :have-a-nice-day: ). I nabbed about 30 fish. All were Rainbows except for one tiny little 9 inch brown. I landed 2 rainbows that went about 16 inches and the rest were standard 10-13 inchers. Fishing was great in the morning in the rain but slowed as the day went on. I had a TON of short strikes that I just chalked up to me being a crappy fisherman, but I talked to another fly fisher at Tan Vat and he mentioned the short strikes as well. Guys on the forums are talking about the short strikes too, so I guess I'm not as bad as I thought. Fishing in the morning during the rain was excellent and I had a hit on almost every other cast/drift.

All day I used a #10 olive mohair leech with some shot to get it down in the current. I used a dead drift followed by short twitches as the current swung it out.
[Reply]
Extra Point 08:01 PM 05-11-2011
No limit at Bennett, next week! May 19th being the end of the world, as we know it, makes for an ideal Gary Larson-Norman Rockwell melding. Happy Rapture, and catch some fish!
[Reply]
NewChief 08:57 AM 05-13-2011
I'd noticed all the college and high school girls around were wearing grizzly saddle hackles (used for dry flies) in their hair lately (evidently inspired by Steven Tyler). Last night, I talked to my buddy who owns our local fly shop. Evidently he's completely sold out of grizzly saddles. On top of that, he can't get anymore in because of this national fashion craze. He said he's not on a first name basis with half the stylists in town.

I'm all for fashion... but once it starts screwing with my fishing
:-)

I think I'm going to start heading to local clubs with a pair of shears and quietly snipping the hackle out of girls' hair.
[Reply]
Page 19 of 221
« First < 91516171819 202122232969119 > Last »
Up