ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 221
« First < 289101112 131415162262112 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
Sully 06:39 PM 05-25-2010
Originally Posted by Bill Lundberg:
Go buy a spinning reel and save the baitcaster for when you have time to master it. It helps a lot if you are casting heavier lures on the bait caster. Make sure you have your drag set properly as well.
Yeah, the heavier lures are much easier to deal with. But, yeah, I'm going to go get sething more suited for a novice.
[Reply]
kstater 06:41 PM 05-25-2010
I have let more big fish get away this year than ever. Was screwing around on the pond a couple weeks ago. Had grabbed someone elses pole. Hooked probably a 6 pounder. She jumped and snapped the line. He had tossed that line around his yard and never re tied the bait.
[Reply]
Sofa King 03:25 PM 06-04-2010
Anyone else fishing for Walleyes on the Missouri in South Dakota?

I've been hammering them at Ft. Thompson using bottom bouncers and spinners... took a couple limits off last the water last weekend... pretty decent size to them as well...
[Reply]
Bill Lundberg 03:37 PM 06-08-2010
Canada was once again a success. We caught more Walleye than you can imagine and plenty of Northern. The Walleye bite was so good that we never really went after the Smallies. Here's a photo of this year's best fish. A 28" walski caught by my buddies Dad who hadn't fished in 30 years prior to taking this trip.
Attached: The Big One Cropped.JPG (88.3 KB) 
[Reply]
The Poz 10:56 AM 06-24-2010
In 2 weeks I'm heading up to Eastern Lake here in Ontario for a friends stag. It's a fly in (no roads lead to it). Apparently there are more bass and walleye than you can imagine.
Here's the link to the site:
http://www.stantonair.com/eastern.html
I'll give an update when I get back.
[Reply]
Sofa King 12:26 PM 06-24-2010
Originally Posted by Bill Lundberg:
Canada was once again a success. We caught more Walleye than you can imagine and plenty of Northern. The Walleye bite was so good that we never really went after the Smallies. Here's a photo of this year's best fish. A 28" walski caught by my buddies Dad who hadn't fished in 30 years prior to taking this trip.
how much did it weigh?
[Reply]
Bill Lundberg 12:33 PM 06-24-2010
Originally Posted by Sofa King:
how much did it weigh?
We didn't weigh it but a 28" walleye usually comes in around 7-8 lbs.
[Reply]
loochy 12:36 PM 06-24-2010
Originally Posted by Sully:
So two weeks ago I bought my first rod and reel. Got a cheap baitcaster. Been fishing a few times, and caught my first (very small) fish yesterday on Lake Jacomo.

This reel is frustrating as hell. I spend more time untangling birdnests than fishing. I read up and watched some videos on how to use it correctly, and it helped, but still tons of tangles. I think I'm going to go back and buy an open reel while I'm learning. I think it's a combo of user error, and buying the cheapest baitcaster I could find.

Ah well. Still enjoying it.
You've got to remember to keep your thumb on the spool to keep it from overspinning. Remember that you won't be able to cast as far as you can with a spinning reel, but you'll be able to pinpoint where the lure hits the water, which is a major plus when pitching and flipping or otherwise fishing in heavy cover.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 12:37 PM 06-24-2010
I fed a few gar Monday.
Best luck I had all day was catching the bait, perch, they were stealing off my hook.
[Reply]
OmahaChief 01:46 PM 06-24-2010
Originally Posted by Sofa King:
Anyone else fishing for Walleyes on the Missouri in South Dakota?

I've been hammering them at Ft. Thompson using bottom bouncers and spinners... took a couple limits off last the water last weekend... pretty decent size to them as well...

Just got back from Lake Sharpe last weekend. We put in a West Bend and headed near the pump house. Fish were biting but nothing really big. Lots of 15-16 inchers and a ton of 14's. Caught our limit last Friday within 4 hours and then switched to smallies. Were using spinners and bottom bouncers as well. Used live worms with mostly chartruese or silver spinners.They were biting like a mother.

We stayed at a hotel in Pierre as the campsites were full and the dudes that pulled in next to use had been on Oahe and had only caught one keeper and only 3 fish in 10 hours on the water. They had five dudes in the boat.
[Reply]
boogblaster 02:37 PM 06-24-2010
Water in the river here was just recently up and running .. Boog II caught some really nice catfish in the back-up waters off a creek feeding into the river .. biggest went 26 pounds .. caught 14 fish in total all over 8 pounds .. he was using nite-crawlers on open-face reels with 30 lb test line ....
[Reply]
Sofa King 02:45 PM 06-24-2010
Originally Posted by OmahaChief:
Just got back from Lake Sharpe last weekend. We put in a West Bend and headed near the pump house. Fish were biting but nothing really big. Lots of 15-16 inchers and a ton of 14's. Caught our limit last Friday within 4 hours and then switched to smallies. Were using spinners and bottom bouncers as well. Used live worms with mostly chartruese or silver spinners.They were biting like a mother.

We stayed at a hotel in Pierre as the campsites were full and the dudes that pulled in next to use had been on Oahe and had only caught one keeper and only 3 fish in 10 hours on the water. They had five dudes in the boat.
I've been around Ft. Thompson a fair amount lately.. same thing, 15-17 inchers on Sharpe, can catch a limit out of the boat... then 16-20 in the fast waters below the dam on Francis Case, in and out of the boat... also around the island just downstream of the dam... great place to fish there...

I hear Platte is starting to hit pretty good off shore as well...
[Reply]
Bill Lundberg 01:02 PM 07-06-2010
Landed this guy on a rubber worm while Bass fishing in "the pond".

Tipped the scales at 5lbs.
Attached: cat.jpg (106.6 KB) 
[Reply]
The Poz 01:53 PM 07-22-2010
Got back last week from our fly-in trip to Eastern Lake here in Ontario. Six of us caught roughly 150 Bass and Perch over 3 days in the 2-3 pound variety. One guy hooked a huge Muskie but couldn't bring it in. Awesome trip, we had the entire lake to ourselves.
Gonna make it an annual event.
[Reply]
El Jefe 02:00 PM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by The Poz:
Got back last week from our fly-in trip to Eastern Lake here in Ontario. Six of us caught roughly 150 Bass and Perch over 3 days in the 2-3 pound variety. One guy hooked a huge Muskie but couldn't bring it in. Awesome trip, we had the entire lake to ourselves.
Gonna make it an annual event.
Best eating size IMO.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 221
« First < 289101112 131415162262112 > Last »
Up