ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2579 of 3903
« First < 1579207924792529256925752576257725782579 258025812582258325892629267930793579 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Bugeater 11:12 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
A very large percentage of educational costs are personnel. The savings related to empty buildings is less than 15% unless you are talking about permanent changes in how education is delivered (selling buildings, etc.)

Teachers, students and parents all clearly want.place-based face-to-face education. Just hard to do right now.
Ok, so a 10% refund on my property tax is reasonable. That's almost $400...better than a kick in the ass.
[Reply]
cdcox 11:22 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Ok, so a 10% refund on my property tax is reasonable. That's almost $400...better than a kick in the ass.
Did the school district in your geographical area incure any cost related to providing technology to underprivileged students? Tablets, laptops, hotspots?
[Reply]
AustinChief 11:22 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
If I was talking to you I would explain there are several studies like this and some have already been linked. One theory is that the younger children simply do not possess enough "power" to expel enough of the virus to infect others based on the size of their lungs, or lackethereof.
Better theories I have read relate to T-cells and how young children are better suited to killing off the virus quickly and efficiently before they become much of a vector.

Another theory I saw was related to the fact that they are more recently vaccinated and may have some form of cross immunity. (not exactly sure on this one having legs but they are attempting to use the BCG vaccine to mitigate COVID so it is definitely not completely out there)

Either way, it's a fact (according to all the numbers we have now) that they are rarely affected at all by COVID and all signs point to them being negligible regarding the spread of the disease.

Oh and regarding the Kawasaki-like syndrome that the media keeps hyping.. there is ZERO hard evidence of a link to COVID. As a matter of fact the only serious studies I have seen have almost conclusively debunked any link.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:34 PM 07-12-2020
I'm intrigued by this potential innovation. If you can use this type of air filter to kill the virus indoors and keep the air moving, it could be a major change of fortune for travel and workplaces.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/he...7-a5153cb1a9cc
[Reply]
Fish 12:03 AM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I'm intrigued by this potential innovation. If you can use this type of air filter to kill the virus indoors and keep the air moving, it could be a major change of fortune for travel and workplaces.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/he...7-a5153cb1a9cc
I would be super skeptical. The problem is that it treats the air drawn into the duct. If a person infected with covid sneezes up a room, it will infect others in the room on its way back through the ventilation system, long before the air containing the infected airborne particles has a chance to reach the special filter. By the time the air recirculates to that filter, it's going to have already infected people or would be dead. It doesn't stay alive airborn long enough for this to be of practical use in my opinion. Especially for larger work areas with infinitely more air volume.
[Reply]
Monticore 06:49 AM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
It definitely won’t or can’t be business as usual. It’s a ****ed up situation all around
I understand they are likely not a a vector for for this but kids will have to be treated as one until they are 100% show they can’t which might never happen because I assume some still can transmit it and we can’t tell which one will or won’t.
[Reply]
petegz28 07:47 AM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
I understand they are likely not a a vector for for this but kids will have to be treated as one until they are 100% show they can’t which might never happen because I assume some still can transmit it and we can’t tell which one will or won’t.
Nothing is 100%
[Reply]
Monticore 08:39 AM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Nothing is 100%
That's my point , it will be hard making that decision and then implementing it in a way that will make parents and government officials comfortable with the decision, we still have some time left before school for more data which could change things and make it easier .
[Reply]
O.city 09:27 AM 07-13-2020
It’s tough.

But waiting until then and keeping them out has pretty massive consequences as well
[Reply]
Skyy God 09:44 AM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
If you can't trust Great White when it comes to fan safety, who can you trust?
Ran into a/the pyro guy for Kid Rock a couple years back. Immediately asked him about this incident.

Apparently was called by the defense as a potential expert. He told them to screw off, as the accident was indefensible.
[Reply]
Pants 10:11 AM 07-13-2020
My mom is a molecular biologist. She is not a virologist nor is she any sort of immunology expert.

However, the way she broke it down to me in laymen terms is that the receptor to which this thing binds to invade cells is very short in kids and gets longer as we age. Hence, kids not really getting sick from this on a large scale.

The elderly have really long receptors and get ravaged by the virus. That compounded with pre-existing conditions and overall worse health makes this thing so deadly to the elderly.
[Reply]
Donger 10:13 AM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
My mom is a molecular biologist. She is not a virologist nor is she any sort of immunology expert.

However, the way she broke it down to me in laymen terms is that the receptor to which this thing binds to invade cells is very short in kids and gets longer as we age. Hence, kids not really getting sick from this on a large scale.

The elderly have really long receptors and get ravaged by the virus. That compounded with pre-existing conditions and overall worse health makes this thing so deadly to the elderly.
I hate Big Receptors.
[Reply]
Ebolapox 10:17 AM 07-13-2020
we're ignoring how many teachers, lunch ladies, secretaries, etc (school staff) will randomly go down and be out for a few weeks at best. the district I teach in has major issues in NORMAL years getting substitutes, I can't even imagine what it's going to be like this year (the range of ages of our subs is 45-75).

there are so many facets to this and so many moving targets that I don't see how we don't quarantine AGAIN by the end of the first semester.
[Reply]
Ebolapox 10:18 AM 07-13-2020
I mean, how do you social distance in a bus? I teach in a rural district and most of the school (k-12) comes via bus. you think they're gonna wear their masks (if they're even required to wear them) on in the bus?
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:19 AM 07-13-2020

New model from Georgia Tech. What’s the Covid risk from a crowd? If you’re in a group of 50 you have a:

84% chance of being with someone infected if you’re in Atlanta

98% chance if in Phoenix

94% chance if in Austin

Essentially 100% if in Charleston https://t.co/Z3hIoJfVVz pic.twitter.com/wOXMN4rllS

— Anthony Michael Kreis (@AnthonyMKreis) July 12, 2020

[Reply]
Page 2579 of 3903
« First < 1579207924792529256925752576257725782579 258025812582258325892629267930793579 > Last »
Up