ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1650 of 3903
« First < 650115015501600164016461647164816491650 165116521653165416601700175021502650 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Monticore 10:45 AM 04-26-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Right now if they are even suspected of having Covid the cause of death is being listed as Covid for both medical and financial reasons.
Most other countries being affected by this don’t have the same system as the US
so this might not be a factor to explain the rest of the worlds numbers.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 10:49 AM 04-26-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
And that's an issue, but there has yet to be any sort of vaccine for any of the COVID strains to date (I'm relatively sure that's accurate but will defer if it's not). What are we supposed to do, sit in self isolation until they figure out a treatment that has eluded them so far? It's just not feasible as of right now.
I don't think social distancing is going to be nearly as bad in the upcoming months. So yeah we will have to continue social distancing but I think as the new cases go down the easing of social distancing will be significant

As far as a vaccine i think they'll be able to create one. I haven't read anything that says they won't be able to.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 10:51 AM 04-26-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I think it became this way because of the botched handling of the situation in the beginning, which many laid directly at the feet of the current administration.
This is backwards. And when did it become a known that it’s been botched from the beginning? No need to answer as this isn’t the place but it’s hard to say what was and wasn’t the best course of action and it’s not simply “botched” or “perfectly done.”

This is correct, as it always is no matter the topic. Many want to lay the blame at the feet of the current administration and because of that the handling of the situation is considered to be botched from the beginning for many.
[Reply]
Fish 11:03 AM 04-26-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
:-)
What part of this are you disputing?

By paying an additional 20% on top of traditional Medicare rates for COVID-19 patients during the public health emergency,*
I'm not disputing anything. Covid patients on ventilators require much more resources. Are you disputing that? Why wouldn't hospitals get paid more for treating a highly contagious pandemic patient?
[Reply]
DaFace 11:23 AM 04-26-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
This is backwards. And when did it become a known that it’s been botched from the beginning? No need to answer as this isn’t the place but it’s hard to say what was and wasn’t the best course of action and it’s not simply “botched” or “perfectly done.”

This is correct, as it always is no matter the topic. Many want to lay the blame at the feet of the current administration and because of that the handling of the situation is considered to be botched from the beginning for many.
The CDC very clearly fucked up the test development and roll out. They've even admitted as such.

Beyond that, we clearly underestimated this thing and downplayed it in the beginning, though most other countries did as well.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 11:29 AM 04-26-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
I'm not disputing anything. Covid patients on ventilators require much more resources. Are you disputing that? Why wouldn't hospitals get paid more for treating a highly contagious pandemic patient?
Hospitals get more Govt money if they classify patients as having C19. As somone already pointed out, hospital's now losing their ass are going to classify as many deaths as C19 as possible.
[Reply]
Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 11:30 AM 04-26-2020
I left my author page up there but about a year ago I just posted the link to my web site and told people all my writing discussions would be over at my site.

I still have my personal page, but after about a 30-sec. perusal, I'm out of there. Can't stand the political takes on EVERYTHING from either side.

If it wasn't for the fact it's the best way to contact two of the publishers I work for, I'd completely dump it, but I've learned just to check their FB pages and not go to the personal one more than I absolutely have to.

*sigh*

I suppose I should clarify that I haven't truly deleted my Facebook account. I just deleted the app from my phone and deleted my bookmark to it, so the only way I can access it is going to the URL bar and typing it in.

I still check in every couple of weeks because my extended family tends to plan stuff on there. But getting it out of my daily life has been a 100% improvement.

[Reply]
Bugeater 11:46 AM 04-26-2020
I suppose I should clarify that I haven't truly deleted my Facebook account. I just deleted the app from my phone and deleted my bookmark to it, so the only way I can access it is going to the URL bar and typing it in.

I still check in every couple of weeks because my extended family tends to plan stuff on there. But getting it out of my daily life has been a 100% improvement.
I haven't logged on there since this started blowing up early last month. It was a cool thing 10 years ago when it was actually a social media tool, but it's since been overrun with irrational morons who spread misinformation and try to push their beliefs onto others. I do like to use the marketplace once in a while and I'll probably keep my account just for that.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 11:49 AM 04-26-2020
Hospitals get more Govt money if they classify patients as having C19. As somone already pointed out, hospital's now losing their ass are going to classify as many deaths as C19 as possible.
You didn't answer his question.

Do you think hospitals should get paid more for treating a highly contagious pandemic patient?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:50 AM 04-26-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
I don't think social distancing is going to be nearly as bad in the upcoming months. So yeah we will have to continue social distancing but I think as the new cases go down the easing of social distancing will be significant

As far as a vaccine i think they'll be able to create one. I haven't read anything that says they won't be able to.
It's extremely difficult to stimulate a proper immune response in the upper respiratory tract. The first vaccines for SARS in animal models made the recipients worse, not better.

Vaccine development is a lot harder than people think.
[Reply]
Fish 11:52 AM 04-26-2020
There's no proof of that at all though. That part is all conjecture. I think that theory might underestimate what is required for designating cause of death and how it works.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 11:56 AM 04-26-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
It's extremely difficult to stimulate a proper immune response in the upper respiratory tract. The first vaccines for SARS in animal models made the recipients worse, not better.

Vaccine development is a lot harder than people think.
Right.

I don't know anything about vaccines and their development. I'm just going off what I read when this all started that a vaccine should be available within 12-18 months. I haven't read anything contrary to that since but based on your posts and it sounds like it's a possibility one doesn't come out.

Lets hope that's not what happens cause that would suck.
[Reply]
petegz28 12:13 PM 04-26-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
You didn't answer his question.

Do you think hospitals should get paid more for treating a highly contagious pandemic patient?
I am not answering him but should they? Yes. Does that mean they should force a diagnosis just to get paid? No. Are they doing that? I am pretty sure, why wouldn't they?
[Reply]
jdubya 12:14 PM 04-26-2020
There has never been a vaccine made for any corona family virus ever. Not sure why people think we will suddenly make one now. Will there be an "immunity" flu shot in the future? Maybe or maybe not but even those are 30%-40% effective. I think more important right now is finding the most effective treatment modalities.
[Reply]
petegz28 12:15 PM 04-26-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
There's no proof of that at all though. That part is all conjecture. I think that theory might underestimate what is required for designating cause of death and how it works.
Actually there is proof of it. Once certain emergency protocols are in place that happens. It is not conjecture at all. I can't tell you all the specific details but generally speaking this is accurate.
[Reply]
Page 1650 of 3903
« First < 650115015501600164016461647164816491650 165116521653165416601700175021502650 > Last »
Up