ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 56 of 324
« First < 6465253545556 5758596066106156 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 11:23 AM 01-25-2019
So, Spagnuolo inherited a poor defense in 07 and immediately made it good. And it continued to be good the next season. Then, he inherited a poor defense in NO and turned it into the worst D in the league with a bullet. Next, he inherits a bad NYG defense and again turns it into the worst in the league. But the following year he got it into the top 10. Then back down to 31.

What does this all mean?

Is he a good defensive mind who had terrible personnel at times? Or is a mediocre coach who needs great players to produce?
[Reply]
mcaj22 11:23 AM 01-25-2019
Don't expect a good defense but I expect a defense that at least can stop a couple 3rd and longs from being converted throughout a game.

That's how low the bar is set right now. Stop one 3rd and long conversion and the Chiefs win.
[Reply]
-King- 11:26 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by philfree:
It's a game of inches. Good Ds control the inches when it counts the most. Rankings? 16h ranked? I think I'd set my bar higher in an attempt to win it all.
So you think we need a top 10 defense to win it all? Wasn't the point if having a franchise QB that we don't need to be perfect in all the other areas of the team?

Name a better team than the chiefs if we have a 16th ranked defense instead of the 31st.
[Reply]
O.city 11:27 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
If they’re even average week 1 that’s a huge improvement.

Like I said, yea they should be good come playoff time, but I don’t expect it right away.
I would imagine they’re going to pour a lot of resources into the d

If they do that I expect it to be good
[Reply]
staylor26 11:27 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar:
So, Spagnuolo inherited a poor defense in 07 and immediately made it good. And it continued to be good the next season. Then, he inherited a poor defense in NO and turned it into the worst D in the league with a bullet. Next, he inherits a bad NYG defense and again turns it into the worst in the league. But the following year he got it into the top 10. Then back down to 31.

What does this all mean?

Is he a good defensive mind who had terrible personnel at times? Or is a mediocre coach who needs great players to produce?
It means talent >>>> coaching

But at least we know if we give him talent, he will get the most out of it.
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 11:28 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
People don't realize how historically bad our defense was.
In what way? They were 24th in points allowed and also in points per play, I believe. Which is a more telling stat than yards/game. You can't compare their yards per game to teams with ball control offense.

To me, it's been the same sh*t the last three years. Not historically bad, but bad. Only difference is they got more turnovers in 2016, and last year they were on the field more due to a quick-score offense.
[Reply]
FringeNC 11:29 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar:
In what way? They were 24th in points allowed and also in points per play, I believe. Which is a more telling stat than yards/game. You can't compare their yards per game to teams with ball control offense.

To me, it's been the same sh*t the last three years. Not historically bad, but bad. Only difference is they got more turnovers in 2016, and last year they were on the field more due to a quick-score offense.
They were historically bad in first downs surrendered per game.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:29 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:

If they go out and get somebody like PP, Thomas, or Ramsey along with the draft being mostly D like we expect then yes I expect them to be good.

I’m not sure we get an elite secondary player though.
[Reply]
O.city 11:31 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
If they go out and get somebody like PP, Thomas, or Ramsey along with the draft being mostly D like we expect then yes I expect them to be good.

I’m not sure we get an elite secondary player though.
I think they will. I’m not sure who but I’m guessing they go after someone.

I’ll say Earl Thomas will be high on their list.

I love Ramsey but I just don’t know what it will take
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 11:31 AM 01-25-2019

They're going to use virtually the entire draft on D and likely sign a few free agents. If they make the right moves, it could absolutely be good next year. Hell, I think it could be pretty good just by putting it in the hands of someone who knows how to adjust and get the most out of the talent.

Not sure if Spaggy is that guy.
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 11:35 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by FringeNC:
They were historically bad in first downs surrendered per game.
Well, again, stats like that have a lot to do with having an offense that consistently scores quickly.

It's not common to have an electric offense and a statistically great defense.
[Reply]
philfree 11:38 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by -King-:
So you think we need a top 10 defense to win it all? Wasn't the point if having a franchise QB that we don't need to be perfect in all the other areas of the team?

Name a better team than the chiefs if we have a 16th ranked defense instead of the 31st.
I think that the mentality of average is good enough is a losing mentality. We better try and build the best D we can and hope it's good enough to make the big stops at the big moments.
[Reply]
mcaj22 11:41 AM 01-25-2019
I think they will. I’m not sure who but I’m guessing they go after someone.

I’ll say Earl Thomas will be high on their list.

I love Ramsey but I just don’t know what it will take
Dee Ford for Ramsey swap
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:42 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by mcaj22:
Dee Ford for Ramsey swap
Why would the Jags make that trade?
[Reply]
JakeF 11:42 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by philfree:
I think that the mentality of average is good enough is a losing mentality. We better try and build the best D we can and hope it's good enough to make the big stops at the big moments.
Absolutely. Shooting for 'just good enough' leaves you open to something going wrong ruining your season. During a football season, something will go wrong so you need to be better than average to cover for it.
[Reply]
Page 56 of 324
« First < 6465253545556 5758596066106156 > Last »
Up