ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 443 of 2688
« First < 343393433439440441442443 4444454464474534935439431443 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Patrick Mahomes Thread*****
Dante84 07:19 PM 04-27-2017
IT ****ING HAPPENED

OP UPDATE:

Because of all the interest in this thread, I've place all of the video content of Patrick Mahomes II's college career, and draft day goodness into a single post that can be found here. Enjoy!
[Reply]
penbrook 01:45 PM 08-15-2017
Ike Taylor makes a good point by saying we should settle down on the QB rookies so far. Said it was JV vs JV. He wants to see them vs starters. That's why thethird preseason game will be big. Most of the starters go into the third quarter. Sometimes the 4th
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 01:52 PM 08-15-2017
Originally Posted by staylor26:
He's talking about his college tape, which is what all the "his footwork is a mess" crowd is also referring too.

It's only fair.
It's been reported He's been working like a madman to improve his footwork with QB gurus ect...

It's fair to see if his hard work has paid off, or he's treading water like Tebow
[Reply]
-King- 01:59 PM 08-15-2017
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
A proper drop back leads to better timing. The preseason game demonstrated that his drop backs are a non issue. His timing will continue to improve has he becomes quicker in his ability to diagnose coverage.

When a QB is flushed out of the pocket all that footwork talk goes to shit. Generally when running towards the sideline QB's don't have time to stop and set their feet. That ability to throw on the run is pure natural ability.
The preseason game demonstrated that? He only threw the ball 9 times. 6 of those were screens. How did that game demonstrate anything?
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
threebag 02:16 PM 08-15-2017
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Dudes, with such a small sample size, it's premature to evaluate his fundamentals as a pro
Fuck, he's already a Hall of Famer brah :-)
[Reply]
New World Order 02:17 PM 08-15-2017
McNabb....oh the guy Reid ditched. Gotcha.

Funny you should mention McNabb....the rookie that Reid started towards the middle/end of the season.

McNabb - Traded, presumably to make room for Vick

Kolb - Benched in favor of Vick

Vick - Benched for Foles

Wanna try again?
Rep
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:24 PM 08-15-2017
Originally Posted by -King-:
The preseason game demonstrated that? He only threw the ball 9 times. 6 of those were screens. How did that game demonstrate anything?
Posted via Mobile Device
You honestly think it's that freakin' difficult to take 3 steps backwards? How many reps do you think he needs to demonstrate the ability to take 3 steps backwards?
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:25 PM 08-15-2017
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
It definitely sounds like It, let's wait when actually has a chance to throw in a live game situation for more than half a quarter.
I've seen him throw in live game situations. Matter of fact, i have two years worth of games to refer to.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 02:28 PM 08-15-2017
You honestly think it's that freakin' difficult to take 3 steps backwards? How many reps do you think he needs to demonstrate the ability to take 3 steps backwards?
Isn't it more about him throwing when his feet arent planted correctly, leading to passes going off the mark? If a QB can't do a 3 step dropback, he's in the wrong game.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 02:35 PM 08-15-2017
It's funny but a lot of Patrick's weaknesses seem to be Alex Smith's strengths. Probably explains part of the reason we drafted him. Even more of a reason for him to sit for a year and learn from Alex 'All I Do Is Win' Smith

Analysis: Everything you enjoy in having a ‘gunslinger’ at quarterback can also come back and bite you. Patrick Mahomes is too eager to go big game hunting. He has a ravenous appetite for the explosive play can also bring unwanted trouble. Willingness to default to playground style appears to limit his ability to get into a consistent rhythm. Needs to improve anticipatory reads and learn to take what the defense gives him. Decision making can go from good to bad in a moment’s notice. Operates from a narrow base and allows his upper body and arm to race ahead of his feet. He’s extremely impatient. Will leave pocket prematurely rather than standing in and winning in rhythm. Better as a scrambler than pure runner.
[Reply]
raybec 4 02:42 PM 08-15-2017
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Yea saying it's a "mess" is bullshit.

Does it need work? Absolutely. I've already seen some improvement though.
I you read Rosenfels article on The Score, this is where he lost me:

Mahomes' first three pass plays were a bubble screen, a regular running-back screen, and another bubble screen. Obviously, Reid wanted to get his quarterback a few completions to build his confidence.

Mahomes very first pass was a 43 yard completion to Demarcus Robinson that was called back for holding Sage. You didn't really watch it, did you?
[Reply]
RunKC 02:42 PM 08-15-2017
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
It's funny but a lot of Patrick's weaknesses seem to be Alex Smith's strengths. Probably explains part of the reason we drafted him. Even more of a reason for him to sit for a year and learn from Alex 'All I Do Is Win Except In The Playoffs' Smith.
FYP
[Reply]
raybec 4 02:44 PM 08-15-2017
Originally Posted by -King-:
Posted via Mobile Device
Footwork is just as important on screens. Although I do agree it's too early to say he's better off of just 9 attempts.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:44 PM 08-15-2017
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Isn't it more about him throwing when his feet arent planted correctly, leading to passes going off the mark? If a QB can't do a 3 step dropback, he's in the wrong game.
Absolutely. However Tribe was referring to timing, which is a combination of a proper drop back and the ability to diagnose coverage.

When Mahomes is in a clean pocket, yes, his feet need to be appropriately planted in an effort to maintain consistent accuracy. Even in college Mahomes has demonstrated the ability to do that. What Mahomes lacked was the discipline to do that consistently. That's where he needs his work. And even when didn't, he was STILL accurate.

How often do you see a clean pocket though?

More often your QB will be navigating a muddled pocket. Rarely will he be able to simply set his feet.

Dorsey emphasized this when he was drafted. What they loved about Mahomes was his ability to navigate a poor pocket, extend plays and deliver the ball accurately and with velocity while moving.

Shit doesn't go haywire for QB's in a clean pocket. Hell, even Bray can deliver strikes in a clean pocket with his feet set.

Mahomes footwork isn't going to keep him off the field.

The ONLY thing that will keep him off the field is competent play from Alex Smith.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:50 PM 08-15-2017

All you footwork guys, break down the very first play in this video for me. Please.

Tell me all about how important it is for Aaron Rodgers to set his feet.

Illustrate to me how important it was for Rodgers to set his feet on this play.

Again, we are not talking about a Tom Brady talent. This is not a Peyton Manning talent.

This is an Aaron Rodgers talent. A Brett Favre talent. The very first play in this video is EXACTLY the kind of play that Mahomes makes.

When people say "Mahomes is a rare talent" this is what we mean.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:51 PM 08-15-2017
2nd play in that video.

Look at Rodgers' feet again.

We can do this ALL DAY, boys.
[Reply]
Page 443 of 2688
« First < 343393433439440441442443 4444454464474534935439431443 > Last »
Up