ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 806 of 3903
« First < 306706756796802803804805806 80780880981081685690613061806 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
RINGLEADER 07:46 PM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Surely Louisiana and Florida as well.
Remember that most of the deaths today are from people who got the virus more than a week ago.

Imagine what it’s going to look like 10 days from now when a percentage of today’s cases start to go critical.
[Reply]
Chiefs4TheWin 07:50 PM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan:
I live in MD, so I’m not certain. I don’t think liquor is sold in grocery stores in PA. It isn’t in MD.
It is now due to a loophole. You can put a table down with a chair and technically you qualify, so grocery stores have a chair with a table, and certain convenience stores do the same now.

Edit: My fault read too fast. Hard liquor is state stores only. The above only applies to beer.
[Reply]
TLO 07:52 PM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
Remember that most of the deaths today are from people who got the virus more than a week ago.

Imagine what it’s going to look like 10 days from now when a percentage of today’s cases start to go critical.
So when do we see the social distancing impact come into play?
[Reply]
ptlyon 07:53 PM 03-26-2020
Really?
If you close them, they'll just get broken into and looted. Keep the economy flowing.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 07:55 PM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
You're always two weeks behind. The numbers on Monday will be less (and hopefully a lot less) than what they would have been because of the infections prevented through distancing.
[Reply]
cdcox 07:55 PM 03-26-2020
Three to seven weeks. Most experts think US hospitalizations will peak in April or May.
[Reply]
mdchiefsfan 07:58 PM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefs4TheWin:
It is now due to a loophole. You can put a table down with a chair and technically you qualify, so grocery stores have a chair with a table, and certain convenience stores do the same now.

Edit: My fault read too fast. Hard liquor is state stores only. The above only applies to beer.
Beer isn’t sold in grocery stores in MD, so you guys have that going for you.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 08:03 PM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan:
PA has closed all liquor stores. I’ll be curious to see the sociological reaction to such a decision.

*grabs beer just purchased and takes a hearty sip*
The first alcoholic in Pennsylvania to drop dead from alcohol withdrawal will change that.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:05 PM 03-26-2020
It was a Prisma Health emergency room physician who first came up with the idea of using a single machine on multiple people, according to Marjorie Jenkins, chief academic officer for Prisma Health-Upstate and dean of the University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville.
:-) BS, 29 years ago in RT school we were practicing running a single vent on two patients in case of emergency. But, that aside....
Check this out..

‘Lifesaving’ ventilator device developed by Prisma Health gets emergency FDA approval

A team of doctors at Prisma Health has developed a device that allows a single ventilator to be used on up to four patients, potentially saving thousands of lives in the midst of the current COVID-19 pandemic.

On Wednesday, March 25, Prisma Health officials announced that the device, dubbed the VESper™, or ventilation expansion splitter, had received emergency use authorization from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

“We believe the device can be lifesaving,” said Peter Tilkemeier, chair of the Department of Medicine at Prisma Health-Upstate.

Produced using 3D printing technology, the device is developed with material already used in existing medical devices and produced at minimal cost.

Upstate Business Journal: Greenville-based laboratory named first SC commercial laboratory validated for COVID-19 testing

Prisma Health experts are now working with national COVID-19 teams that have no more ventilator capacity and can initiate emergency use of the prototype.

Emergency use authorization can offer critical care patients access to a medical device that hasn’t gone through normal FDA approval, Tilkemeier said at a news conference late Wednesday. It’s only used when no comparable or satisfactory alternative options are available.

Hospitals around the country are already facing a critical shortage of ventilators, which help patients breathe and can mean the difference between life or death for those suffering from the most severe respiratory effects of the novel coronavirus.

Nationally, more than 65,285 cases of the virus have been reported, and at least 926 people have died, according to a John Hopkins University database tracking the spread of the outbreak.

It was a Prisma Health emergency room physician who first came up with the idea of using a single machine on multiple people, according to Marjorie Jenkins, chief academic officer for Prisma Health-Upstate and dean of the University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville.

Prisma coronavirus ventilator
The VESper™ device being tested on medical manikins at Prisma Health’s Healthcare Simulation Center. -Provided
Working collaboratively with her husband, a software engineer, and a Prisma Health pulmonologist, the trio began developing specifications for a “Y” splitter tubing that could be easily produced on a 3-D printer.

“Immediately, we realized we had an opportunity to impact patient outcomes all over the country, and potentially beyond the U.S.,” Jenkins said.

Physicians used Prisma Health’s Healthcare Simulation Center to begin testing the VESper™ device with medical manikins, allowing for the simulation of multiple clinical scenarios. The device was able to deliver the appropriate breathing parameters without difficulty, officials said.

With Jenkins’ help, the team was able to secure FDA approval within a matter of days.

“It truly has taken a village to develop this device,” Jenkins said.

Anyone can download the source code and printing specifications for the device. Hospitals can apply by registering on Prisma Health’s website. The health system is also collaborating with other companies such as HP Inc. and its Digital Manufacturing Network to quickly scale 3D production and distribution to COVID-19 “hot spots” designated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Specifications for the device can even be shared globally, Tilkemeier said.
Basically it looks like this new device is able to use 4 different expiratory ramps on 4 differnt patients. The issue with COPD and ARDS is that if you blow the air in or out too fast you can collapse the lung. You have to get your ramp right or the patient can die.

Why this matters for cornovirus is that Supdock reported that he had seen data that 40% of coronavirus patients on vents ended up with ARDS(Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome).

ARDS makes it really hard to get the air in and out without damaging the lungs and if we don't get the air in and out, your going to die. ARDS is basically inflammation inside the lungs but that's really an oversimplification. To us it was like trying to get air in and out between two slabs of concrete but it was soft tissue in the lungs. You really need your best RT's on patients with ARDS to get the ramp correct and correlate it with breath sounds.

Just know, it's bad, really bad. 35%-50% survival rate when I was in the field. If we have better control of the ramp, we will definitely get that survival rate up. So this is really good news.
[Reply]
chinaski 08:11 PM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
PA has always had a puritan view of alcohol. When I lived there in the late 80's the liquor stores were all run by the state. In some of them, you had to look up what you wanted in a book and tell the clerk the number, then they would go into the back and bring it out.
It's still that way. My wife is from Western PA, and it was a shocker for me when I first went there, coming from CA, buying a bottle of liquor. Missouri was a bit draconian when I left, but still nothing like PA. MO is pretty much "normal" now.

When I was in Philly in January, I wasn't surprised that I had to go to a State Store, or at least a dedicated liquor store, for booze...wanted to get a bottle for my hotel room. Not a big deal, just not as convenient as I am used to...Texas is similar.
[Reply]
Bwana 08:13 PM 03-26-2020
I stand corrected! They are going to keep the liqueur stores open along with Ammo stores.
[Reply]
wazu 08:17 PM 03-26-2020
I stand corrected! They are going to keep the liqueur stores open along with Ammo stores.
Basic living requires both.
[Reply]
AustinChief 08:21 PM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
We are really in the beginning stages of this. I posted this before, but more people need to read it.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-be9337092b56

It is called the Hammer and the Dance.

The Hammer involves very tight control measures "shelter in place" type restrictions, needed for 3 to 7 weeks. Since this thing got such a hold here, I'm guessing the longer time period will be needed. After that, we can loosen restrictions (the Dance) where some forms of social distancing are still needed (no large crowds, no conferences, no sporting events) but bars and restaurants and schools could open. The point of the dance is to drop R to less than 1. The Dance can't be effective until we are capable of wide scale testing and contact tracing. The Dance is what South Korea was able to do. They skipped the hammer because they got on top of it quickly. The dance is going to have to be maintained until a vaccine is developed. But we can't get to that until we have the cases under control. That will not happen for a number of weeks to come.
Have you seen the most recent Oxford model? They changed the assumption regarding the rate of severity and showed a model that fit the reality in the UK but was based on it having almost peaked at this point.

That is something I am having a problem reconciling when experts make projections based on us being in the very early phases of this. That assumption seems off to me. We know it spreads ridiculously fast. We know that it was in the wild in the US for AT LEAST 2 months (more likely 3) with little to no mitigation. Not just wishful thinking here, but the revised Oxford model simply makes more sense to me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oxmu2rwsnh...0(13).pdf?dl=0

Another issue is with testing. Since we aren't testing for antibodies, we have no clue what the negatives mean. Are those people susceptible to the virus or people who are now immune?
[Reply]
eDave 08:23 PM 03-26-2020

[Reply]
LiveSteam 08:28 PM 03-26-2020
Omaha has 9 cases..
[Reply]
Page 806 of 3903
« First < 306706756796802803804805806 80780880981081685690613061806 > Last »
Up