ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Nzoner's Game Room>January Crock Pot Goodies
gblowfish 12:34 PM 01-26-2021
It's crock pot season! Here in cow country, there's all kind of funky receipes for Crock Pots. I went to a pot luck party in Lexington, MO a few years ago and one of our friends brought what she called "Cowboy Beans." This is the recipe. You can do this in the oven at low heat -275 degrees- or in a crock pot for several hours. I like the crock pot. If you don't like bacon you can use Chorizo Sausage. Instead of pork & beans I use Bush's baked beans. Instead of catsup I just add more BBQ sauce. I like Original KC Masterpiece (not the cheap Clorox stuff, but original recipe) and use a little more black molasses instead of brown sugar. Or you can use sorghum. I like black beans and butter beans in the bean mix. You can serve this up like Chili. It's super good! How bout you? Whatcha got?
Attached: settlerbeansrecipe.jpg (110.4 KB) 
[Reply]
ptlyon 12:55 PM 01-26-2021
I use Bush's as a starter too George. Either original or brown sugar and one onion can, or 3 if there's a crowd.

Then I add to taste:
Cooked hamburger (usually a pound)
Cooked bacon
Ketchup and mustard
Brown sugar if I didn't use the canned one

Throw it all in a crock pot on low all day and adjust more ingredients tasting during the day if needed
[Reply]
gblowfish 01:10 PM 01-26-2021
There's also a bean salad they call "Cowboy Caviar." I haven't made this but it sounds pretty good:
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/10...iar/?printview
[Reply]
Sorce 01:16 PM 01-26-2021

Let everything but the corn melt in a crock pot then add the corn and let it heat through.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 01:18 PM 01-26-2021
I remember as a kid the best baked beans I have ever tasted - my Grandmothers. A year or so back I stumbled across this recipe. I guarantee if you guys make them, it will blow your mind,

Ingredients
8 slices bacon, halved
1 medium onion, cut into small dice
1/2 medium green pepper, cut into small dice
3 large cans (28 ounces each) pork and beans
3/4 c. barbecue sauce
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. distilled or cider vinegar
2 tsp. dry mustard or 2 tablespoons Dijon

--------------------------------------------------------

Directions
Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees.

Fry bacon in large, deep sauté pan skillet until bacon has partially cooked and released about 1/4 cup drippings. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels.

Add onions and peppers to drippings in pan and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.

Add beans and remaining ingredients bring to a simmer. (If skillet is not large enough, add beans and heat to a simmer then transfer to a large bowl and stir in remaining ingredients).

Pour flavored beans into a greased 13-by 9-inch (or similar size) ovenproof pan. Top with bacon, then bake until beans are bubbly and sauce is the consistency of pancake syrup, about 2 hours. Let stand to thicken slightly and serve.

Boy Howdy!!! Bean Heaven

https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food...ed-beans-ever/
[Reply]
gblowfish 01:45 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by Sorce:
  • Stick of butter
  • 2 bricks of cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup pepperjack cheese
  • 2lbs frozen corn.

Let everything but the corn melt in a crock pot then add the corn and let it heat through.
Is this runny?
[Reply]
gblowfish 01:48 PM 01-26-2021
How bout this one?
Crock Pot Mushrooms:

3 or 4 packages of your favorite whole or sliced mushrooms
1 bottle Wishbone or your favorite zesty italian dressing
about 1/3 bottle of worsh sause
1/2 stick of butter. Use real butter.
tablespoon minced garlic
Dash of onion powder
Tablespoon of Old Bay seasoning

Crockpot on low for 4 or 5 hours.
Enjoy!
[Reply]
SupDock 02:06 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
How bout this one?
Crock Pot Mushrooms:

3 or 4 packages of your favorite whole or sliced mushrooms
1 bottle Wishbone or your favorite zesty italian dressing
about 1/3 bottle of worsh sause
1/2 stick of butter. Use real butter.
tablespoon minced garlic
Dash of onion powder
Tablespoon of Old Bay seasoning

Crockpot on low for 4 or 5 hours.
Enjoy!

I was hoping you would link this! Is this your famous mushroom recipe? I remember a thread last year where it was brought up, and for some reason the mushroom recipe crossed my mind and I wanted to revisit it.
[Reply]
Sorce 02:42 PM 01-26-2021
Is this runny?
Very creamy
[Reply]
gblowfish 03:46 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by SupDock:
I was hoping you would link this! Is this your famous mushroom recipe? I remember a thread last year where it was brought up, and for some reason the mushroom recipe crossed my mind and I wanted to revisit it.
Yes, this is real good for a party, kind of like doing little meatballs. Depending on how many people you intend to feed, each standard package of mushrooms will feed 2 to 3 people. I like Wishbone zesty italian as the dressing. Don't use creamy italian, use an oil base italian. The whole fresh mushrooms soak up a lot of the wetness and will squish when you bite them. If you don't like that, use sliced mushrooms. Either way, they cook down a bit while they crock, so when you first fill the crock pot, you'll lose about 1/3rd of your volume once they cook down.
[Reply]
gblowfish 04:01 PM 01-26-2021
If you like crock pot meat balls, try this:
Pack of 24 frozen meatballs (not italian, regular style). 1/3rd jar of basic grape jelly. 1 cup Gates BBQ sauce or your favorite. Tip: Don't use Bryant's original, not a good match. I like Gates for this very much. Add about 1/2 cup of Ketchup for Patrick Mahomes, a couple dashes of Worsh sauce and some hot sauce if you like heat. I put in just about a teaspoon of little rooster or Zim's Hot Sauce if you have it. Also added some Gates seasoning, a little garlic powder and some celery salt. Let that all crock on low for four or five hours. Plate the meatballs, stick a toothpick in each and nosh away!
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 04:04 PM 01-26-2021
We have crock pot burritos frequently - toss in some pork shoulder, beans, hot peppers, etc.
[Reply]
SupDock 04:08 PM 01-26-2021
Yes, this is real good for a party, kind of like doing little meatballs. Depending on how many people you intend to feed, each standard package of mushrooms will feed 2 to 3 people. I like Wishbone zesty italian as the dressing. Don't use creamy italian, use an oil base italian. The whole fresh mushrooms soak up a lot of the wetness and will squish when you bite them. If you don't like that, use sliced mushrooms. Either way, they cook down a bit while they crock, so when you first fill the crock pot, you'll lose about 1/3rd of your volume once they cook down.
Thanks so much!
[Reply]
gblowfish 04:11 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by SupDock:
Thanks so much!
I also like to make small batches of these and put them over the top of a nicely grilled steak. Makes a nice complimentary steak side. Also forgot to mention, they'll be a lot of liquid in the crock pot, so pull the mushrooms out with a slotted spoon. Don't want them to be too runny on the plate.
[Reply]
Bwana 04:16 PM 01-26-2021
This thread is making me hungry.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up