ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Bob Sutton....
God of Thunder 10:50 AM 01-26-2021
Lawd I miss his defense......said no one ever. Spags turned this franchise into a winner.
[Reply]
gblowfish 12:36 PM 01-26-2021
I was told he was sent away to live on a farm?....
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 12:37 PM 01-26-2021
Sutton wasn't that bad. We were top seven in scoring defense in each of Sutton’s first four seasons, ranking second in 2014. He def had a problem making adjustments and his blitzes were good at times but other times when you had Justin Houston covering Antonio Brown it's like wtf...

Spags is definitely better but Spags has been DC of some horrid defenses as well see his time spent w NO Saints. But I can only speak for his time here and he's done an unbelievable job.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 12:40 PM 01-26-2021
Well look at it this way...

If Sutton defense could stop Pats in Jan2019 and Chiefs played Rams in SB and won, he'd still be here today.
[Reply]
big nasty kcnut 12:42 PM 01-26-2021
Sucks.
[Reply]
BWillie 12:44 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Sutton wasn't that bad. We were top seven in scoring defense in each of Sutton’s first four seasons, ranking second in 2014. He def had a problem making adjustments and his blitzes were good at times but other times when you had Justin Houston covering Antonio Brown it's like wtf...

Spags is definitely better but Spags has been DC of some horrid defenses as well see his time spent w NO Saints. But I can only speak for his time here and he's done an unbelievable job.
Bob had his time but he struggled at making adjustments and rolling with the personnel available to him. He was the #1 reason we failed in 2018. And it's not even close.
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:53 PM 01-26-2021
Spagnuolo will go down as one of our greatest assistant coach acquisitions ever, along with Al Saunders back in the Priest Holmes era.

I think there are three things that really make the Spagnuolo defense work for us.

1. Someone really has an eye for talent. That's obvious. This defense is stacked.

2. He disguises things well. We all remember Gunther's defenses where you ALWAYS knew where the blitz was coming from. It drove me insane. He would never disguise anything. And similarly, Sutton's defenses were predictable (as evidenced by never moving the CBs around), so they could be solved. You don't know what's happening with Spagnuolo's defense, and that's key. I've mentioned this in the past, but NFL players are all elite athletes. It's hard to win a game on physical domination. The key is to confuse them, and his defense does that.

3. Someone mentioned this a while back so it's not my idea, but I like it. Sutton's defense was designed to slow offenses down, but they would still score. That's why we had shootouts. Spagnuolo knows that he just has to stop a couple of drives and we'll win. So his aggressive style fits perfectly alongside the juggernaut offense. (Oddly, though, he's aggressive but we don't give up big plays, either. It's perfection and I don't know how they do it.)
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 01:00 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Spagnuolo will go down as one of our greatest assistant coach acquisitions ever, along with Al Saunders back in the Priest Holmes era.

I think there are three things that really make the Spagnuolo defense work for us.

1. Someone really has an eye for talent. That's obvious. This defense is stacked.

2. He disguises things well. We all remember Gunther's defenses where you ALWAYS knew where the blitz was coming from. It drove me insane. He would never disguise anything. And similarly, Sutton's defenses were predictable (as evidenced by never moving the CBs around), so they could be solved. You don't know what's happening with Spagnuolo's defense, and that's key. I've mentioned this in the past, but NFL players are all elite athletes. It's hard to win a game on physical domination. The key is to confuse them, and his defense does that.

3. Someone mentioned this a while back so it's not my idea, but I like it. Sutton's defense was designed to slow offenses down, but they would still score. That's why we had shootouts. Spagnuolo knows that he just has to stop a couple of drives and we'll win. So his aggressive style fits perfectly alongside the juggernaut offense. (Oddly, though, he's aggressive but we don't give up big plays, either. It's perfection and I don't know how they do it.)
Well said. Nailed it
[Reply]
big nasty kcnut 01:02 PM 01-26-2021
Stop blaming alex for sutton suckatude. If we even had a half way good d we be in the super bowl.
[Reply]
Sorce 01:11 PM 01-26-2021
Who would win in a fight, Bob Sutton vs Greg Robinson.
[Reply]
BWillie 01:18 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:

How to beat a Gunther defense. Once you see them setting up to blitz, change the play to a screen. Allow defenders to over pursue, dump off to RB or WR in the flat for 40 yard gain. Rinse and repeat. He won't figure it out.
[Reply]
MahiMike 02:01 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by threebag02:
Dee Ford
Eric Berry
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 02:07 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by Sorce:
Who would win in a fight, Bob Sutton vs Greg Robinson.
Considering they'd probably both die of heart attacks the rest of humanity.
[Reply]
prhom 02:09 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
If it wasn't for Alex Smith and Bob Sutton. Patrick Mahomes would have four consecutive Super Bowls.

These are the only two people that have shown to be able to stop Patrick Mahomes.
Here’s a fun one to think about. What if in that Tennessee game the scores were reversed at halftime? I know Andy thought he had that game in the bag being up 28-3 or whatever it was. If we were getting blown out, would he have put Mahomes in for the second half?

Smith and Sutton did just enough to make it seem like we were going to win without actually doing it. If it was a lost cause anyway I’ll bet Mahomes would have had a field day playing with nothing to lose.
[Reply]
threebag 02:24 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by MahiMike:
Eric Berry
Yeah, playing with 29, EB, Eric Berry, Haglunds, Haglunds Spirt or however you Eric Berry’d sucked as long as it was dragged out. He fucked the Chiefs over more than anyone
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:12 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
How to beat a Gunther defense. Once you see them setting up to blitz, change the play to a screen. Allow defenders to over pursue, dump off to RB or WR in the flat for 40 yard gain. Rinse and repeat. He won't figure it out.
I never understood why they couldn't figure that out. You'd think at some point the Chiefs' OC or quarterback or some defender they got as a free agent would say something. Everyone in the stadium could identify 100 percent of the time where the pass rush was coming from.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up