ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 9
« First < 23456 789 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Independence Center brawl
Deberg_1990 09:15 AM 12-28-2020
:-)

From the KC Star's Trey Williams. Police break up fights involving hundreds of teens at Independence mall https://t.co/i9b6NlJaB4

— Joyce Smith (@JoyceKC) December 28, 2020

Independence police called on parents Saturday evening to pick up their kids from Independence Center after multiple large disturbances and fights broke out causing the mall to close early, police said.

In a post on the department’s Facebook page, Independence police said, “If you left a child (under 18) at the Independence Center, come get them now. This is at the request of mall management.”

According to Independence police public information officer John Syme, multiple disturbances and fights involving several hundred teens occurred around 5:30 p.m. The incidents forced mall security to close the mall early, around 6:30 p.m.

Ten individuals were arrested and cited for disorderly conduct, endangering the welfare of a minor, interfering with police, assault on a law enforcement officer, and false information, Syme said in an email.

Six of those were adults and four were juveniles. Four of the adults were parents or grandparents of some of the juveniles who were charged.

Multiple agencies were involved, including the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office and the Blue Springs, Lee’s Summit and Kansas City Police Departments, Syme said.

Independence police have previously said they have experienced issues with minors causing disturbances at restaurants, businesses and entertainment venues at Independence Center.

Police, along with mall management and local groups, instituted a 9 p.m. curfew for minors, which began Nov. 26.

The curfew is every night and ends at 6 a.m. in the area between 40 Highway on the south, 39th Street on the north, Little Blue Parkway to the east and M291 Highway to the west.

The city said that the curfew is strictly enforced, and that parents of unaccompanied juveniles will be issued citations.

Independence city officials said when announcing the curfew that an uptick in incidents this year prompted the curfew.

“We have had incidents at various businesses, restaurants, entertainment venues, shopping areas and parking lots throughout the region,” Independence Police Chief Brad Halsey said in a news release in November. “In all of these incidents, minors have been causing disturbances, affecting the flow of traffic, and negatively impacting the experience of others visiting these venues. This has diverted police attention from other areas of the community requiring additional presence to protect the patrons and businesses in this area.”
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:16 PM 01-04-2021
This was outside in the parking lot. More than 30 shots fired. Wow

Authorities are investigating a shooting in a parking lot outside Independence Center Monday afternoon.

Police said an officer was patrolling the parking lot and heard multiple gunshots fired.

Advertisement
Investigators said people in two vehicles were firing shots at each other.

Authorities said one person in one of the vehicles was shot in the head. The victim's condition was described as non-life-threatening.

Police said they are looking for the second vehicle involved in the shooting. It was described as a dirty, black Chrysler 300.

Authorities said more than 30 shots were fired in the incident.

Police said they do have some people in custody in connection with the shooting.

On New Year's Eve, a teenager was shot in the leg inside the mall.

https://www.kmbc.com/article/authori...enter/35121608
[Reply]
stanleychief 05:21 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
some old guy told me independence used to be nice in the 80s

all american city i was rated per wikipedia at one point

now tons of poor broke whyppl
I lived near the mall when I was in middle school in the 80s. It was ok, but nothing to write home about. I recall that there were nice areas and rough areas in town. Lakewood was nice back then, but that was in Lee's Summit. The shopping and dining options around the mall are nicer today than they were in the 80s. Not sure what it is like being an Independence resident now.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 05:23 PM 01-04-2021
I'd say the victim is quite lucky.
[Reply]
notorious 06:02 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Authorities said one person in one of the vehicles was shot in the head. The victim's condition was described as non-life-threatening.

What was daquix doing in KC?
[Reply]
Titty Meat 06:04 PM 01-04-2021
I haven't been there in 20 years but it's really bad when shit like this happens and the mall gets a reputation for it. Doesnt end well (Indian Springs, Bannister Mall, Etc.)
[Reply]
notorious 06:06 PM 01-04-2021
This reminds me of a TV show I saw years ago.

A millionaire wanted to buy property so he hired a bunch of teen thugs to fuck shit up at a business and drive the property value down.

It worked.
[Reply]
Halfcan 06:07 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
some old guy told me independence used to be nice in the 80s

all american city i was rated per wikipedia at one point

now tons of poor broke whyppl
https://www.nationalcivicleague.org/.../past-winners/

Independence (1961, 1982, 2001)
[Reply]
Randallflagg 06:11 PM 01-04-2021
The Wife and I were there back (way back!) when there was a Luby's in that place. We ate there after a day of shopping at santacaligon, back in the day. Haven't been there since. Apparently, unless you are carrying, it is probably best to stay away. :-)

Wouldn't be the least surprised to see the mall close down before long....what is this now? 5-10 of these asshole shootings and "brawls" now?
[Reply]
Valiant 06:21 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
I haven't been there in 20 years but it's really bad when shit like this happens and the mall gets a reputation for it. Doesnt end well (Indian Springs, Bannister Mall, Etc.)
Yeah. The city and pd are going to have to go nuclear option on the kids. This it literally how bannister went down. Had the police in towers.

Kids and parents will need charged and independence prosecutors will need to find their sacks. Besides blaming the kids and parents, this is also on the government for being so soft on criminals. They don't fear shit there.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:26 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by Valiant:
They don't fear shit there.
Yep. Apparently not. With all the media attention this has gotten, beefed up security, and stricter mall policies....and kids still went out there today and were not afraid of shooting at each other.

:-)
[Reply]
Halfcan 06:29 PM 01-04-2021
Thugs shoot each other in the parking lot. CLOSE THE MALL!!!
[Reply]
Randallflagg 06:33 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by Halfcan:

Hmm....Well, when all your customers have left from fear of (a) getting the daylights beaten out of them or (b) shot at in the parking lot - well, there isn't much left rather than to close the doors.

Unless mall management and the local cops get their act together, closing is a distinct possibility, wouldn't you agree? :-)
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:39 PM 01-04-2021
Closing doesn’t solve anything. Just hurts the local economy.
[Reply]
Halfcan 06:48 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Closing doesn’t solve anything. Just hurts the local economy.
Exactly, the Center has already been struggling. Sears and Applebees were two of the biggest ones that closed recently.

A friend owned the Merry-Go-Round that was on the concourse. The new owners gave them the boot after 20 years and closed the Children's playland. It was a terrible move. They brought in more video games to attract teens, which also brought problems since the City has been closed down.

That area has a large Police presence- it is a dumb idea to start trouble there unless you want to get caught.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:16 PM 01-04-2021
Exactly, the Center has already been struggling. Sears and Applebees were two of the biggest ones that closed recently.

A friend owned the Merry-Go-Round that was on the concourse. The new owners gave them the boot after 20 years and closed the Children's playland. It was a terrible move. They brought in more video games to attract teens, which also brought problems since the City has been closed down.

That area has a large Police presence- it is a dumb idea to start trouble there unless you want to get caught.
That’s too bad. That was a nice little family area there with the merry go round.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 9
« First < 23456 789 >
Up