ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 9
< 12345 6789 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Independence Center brawl
Deberg_1990 09:15 AM 12-28-2020
:-)

From the KC Star's Trey Williams. Police break up fights involving hundreds of teens at Independence mall https://t.co/i9b6NlJaB4

— Joyce Smith (@JoyceKC) December 28, 2020

Independence police called on parents Saturday evening to pick up their kids from Independence Center after multiple large disturbances and fights broke out causing the mall to close early, police said.

In a post on the department’s Facebook page, Independence police said, “If you left a child (under 18) at the Independence Center, come get them now. This is at the request of mall management.”

According to Independence police public information officer John Syme, multiple disturbances and fights involving several hundred teens occurred around 5:30 p.m. The incidents forced mall security to close the mall early, around 6:30 p.m.

Ten individuals were arrested and cited for disorderly conduct, endangering the welfare of a minor, interfering with police, assault on a law enforcement officer, and false information, Syme said in an email.

Six of those were adults and four were juveniles. Four of the adults were parents or grandparents of some of the juveniles who were charged.

Multiple agencies were involved, including the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office and the Blue Springs, Lee’s Summit and Kansas City Police Departments, Syme said.

Independence police have previously said they have experienced issues with minors causing disturbances at restaurants, businesses and entertainment venues at Independence Center.

Police, along with mall management and local groups, instituted a 9 p.m. curfew for minors, which began Nov. 26.

The curfew is every night and ends at 6 a.m. in the area between 40 Highway on the south, 39th Street on the north, Little Blue Parkway to the east and M291 Highway to the west.

The city said that the curfew is strictly enforced, and that parents of unaccompanied juveniles will be issued citations.

Independence city officials said when announcing the curfew that an uptick in incidents this year prompted the curfew.

“We have had incidents at various businesses, restaurants, entertainment venues, shopping areas and parking lots throughout the region,” Independence Police Chief Brad Halsey said in a news release in November. “In all of these incidents, minors have been causing disturbances, affecting the flow of traffic, and negatively impacting the experience of others visiting these venues. This has diverted police attention from other areas of the community requiring additional presence to protect the patrons and businesses in this area.”
[Reply]
Halfcan 08:41 PM 12-31-2020
Kids have been pent up all year and people are surprised when they go wild?
[Reply]
KingPriest2 08:59 PM 12-31-2020
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
Kids have been pent up all year and people are surprised when they go wild?
It’s not that. They always had issues before covid.
[Reply]
|Zach| 09:10 PM 12-31-2020
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
There'll be a lot of drunken yahoos firing rounds into the air at Midnight tonight as well. I always worry some innocent is going to get hit. Shudder to think.
About 15 years ago I was out and about on NYE with some friends. Got home the next morning and went to take a shower and there was really weird damage. A bullet had been fired at midnight and fell into my bathroom. If I had been taking a shower at the time it probably would have struck me.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:26 PM 12-31-2020
Originally Posted by |Zach|:
About 15 years ago I was out and about on NYE with some friends. Got home the next morning and went to take a shower and there was really weird damage. A bullet had been fired at midnight and fell into my bathroom. If I had been taking a shower at the time it probably would have struck me.
Do you think your cause of death would have been gunshot or drowning?

That's a wild story, though. So you saw a bullet hole in your ceiling? Did it cause a hole in your shower/tub? Did you find the bullet?
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:30 PM 12-31-2020
A few years ago a bullet went through a girls apartment and struck her a few blocks from here
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:09 AM 01-01-2021
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
There'll be a lot of drunken yahoos firing rounds into the air at Midnight tonight as well. I always worry some innocent is going to get hit. Shudder to think.
I’ve never understood that. They do realize they eventually come back down right?

Someone was killed about 15 years ago in McAllen Texas when we were down there about 20 ago - bullet came through the roof and hit a dude in the head.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 03:21 PM 01-04-2021
Another fucking shooting
[Reply]
lcarus 03:23 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Do you think your cause of death would have been gunshot or drowning?
These days it would've been covid
[Reply]
Mecca 03:44 PM 01-04-2021
I think my kid is gonna have to stop working there.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 03:46 PM 01-04-2021
WTF is going on there??
[Reply]
Titty Meat 03:49 PM 01-04-2021
Urban youths just hanging out
[Reply]
Mecca 03:50 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Urban youths just hanging out
Independence isn't exactly "urban" I've been to that mall 500 times and urban isn't the general word I'd use.
[Reply]
BWillie 03:57 PM 01-04-2021
some old guy told me independence used to be nice in the 80s

all american city i was rated per wikipedia at one point

now tons of poor broke whyppl
[Reply]
gblowfish 04:01 PM 01-04-2021
The mall put new rules in place for kids 17 and under. The mall ownership is very worried about public perception with new curfew rules. There's actually a police station in the mall, and more cops are going to be stationed there. Independence has a LOT of money invested in that corridor. The hospital is right down the street, Hockey arena across on the opposite side of I-70. The last thing they want is brawls and gunshots. They will increase police presence a lot, but the cat may already be out of the bag. Of course the kids are complaining "they have nowhere else to go." I don't buy that argument. A lot of this is on the parents dumping their kids at the mall while they go do other things. It's a complicated situation.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 04:06 PM 01-04-2021
It probably is a thing now to go there and cause problems.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 9
< 12345 6789 >
Up