ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 9
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Independence Center brawl
Deberg_1990 09:15 AM 12-28-2020
:-)

From the KC Star's Trey Williams. Police break up fights involving hundreds of teens at Independence mall https://t.co/i9b6NlJaB4

— Joyce Smith (@JoyceKC) December 28, 2020

Independence police called on parents Saturday evening to pick up their kids from Independence Center after multiple large disturbances and fights broke out causing the mall to close early, police said.

In a post on the department’s Facebook page, Independence police said, “If you left a child (under 18) at the Independence Center, come get them now. This is at the request of mall management.”

According to Independence police public information officer John Syme, multiple disturbances and fights involving several hundred teens occurred around 5:30 p.m. The incidents forced mall security to close the mall early, around 6:30 p.m.

Ten individuals were arrested and cited for disorderly conduct, endangering the welfare of a minor, interfering with police, assault on a law enforcement officer, and false information, Syme said in an email.

Six of those were adults and four were juveniles. Four of the adults were parents or grandparents of some of the juveniles who were charged.

Multiple agencies were involved, including the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office and the Blue Springs, Lee’s Summit and Kansas City Police Departments, Syme said.

Independence police have previously said they have experienced issues with minors causing disturbances at restaurants, businesses and entertainment venues at Independence Center.

Police, along with mall management and local groups, instituted a 9 p.m. curfew for minors, which began Nov. 26.

The curfew is every night and ends at 6 a.m. in the area between 40 Highway on the south, 39th Street on the north, Little Blue Parkway to the east and M291 Highway to the west.

The city said that the curfew is strictly enforced, and that parents of unaccompanied juveniles will be issued citations.

Independence city officials said when announcing the curfew that an uptick in incidents this year prompted the curfew.

“We have had incidents at various businesses, restaurants, entertainment venues, shopping areas and parking lots throughout the region,” Independence Police Chief Brad Halsey said in a news release in November. “In all of these incidents, minors have been causing disturbances, affecting the flow of traffic, and negatively impacting the experience of others visiting these venues. This has diverted police attention from other areas of the community requiring additional presence to protect the patrons and businesses in this area.”
[Reply]
candyman 09:17 AM 12-28-2020
Worldstar!
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:49 AM 12-28-2020
Wait, hundreds?
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:53 AM 12-28-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Wait, hundreds?
That’s what the story claims. But you know media likes to blow things up....
[Reply]
Hog Rider 09:53 AM 12-28-2020
Why are so many Honor Roll students at the mall at the same time?
[Reply]
BWillie 09:56 AM 12-28-2020
I want malls back. Stop making strip malls. I don't like going to store to store when it's cold. I'm an avid indoorsman.
[Reply]
kcclone 10:01 AM 12-28-2020
I feel like there is an Independence Center brawl about once every two months or so.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 10:15 AM 12-28-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I want malls back. Stop making strip malls. I don't like going to store to store when it's cold. I'm an avid indoorsman.
This is one of the reasons indoor malls are dying out. They became teen drop offs and hangouts.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 10:19 AM 12-28-2020
Originally Posted by kcclone:
I feel like there is an Independence Center brawl about once every two months or so.
Agreed...i was surprised this wasn't a bump from a past incident.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 10:58 AM 12-28-2020
They need more 'positive reinforcement" and "restorative justice"
Make sure they know they are good people, are smart and the world has wronged them.

That will turn them into better people.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 11:29 AM 12-28-2020
This wasn’t a brawl.

It was a peaceful protest.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:32 AM 12-28-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Agreed. Indoor malls are one of mankind's greatest inventions. I want them to remain so I have someplace to walk in the winter when I get old.
[Reply]
lcarus 11:43 AM 12-28-2020
I used to go to this mall sometimes in the late 90s and early 00s. I assumed there was a brawl there weekly.
[Reply]
gblowfish 12:02 PM 12-28-2020
I'm from Independence and I WILL fight you!!!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/news...ll/vi-BB1chZ5x
[Reply]
ForeverChiefs58 12:29 PM 12-28-2020
Wow. That’s a big fight. Surprised there wasn’t more injuries. There has to be video of a brawl with 500 teenagers.

Were they BLM protesters?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 9
1 2345 > Last »
Up