ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Fisher and Schwartz finally get some love from PFF
Megatron96 03:32 PM 08-13-2020
"The NFL season is right around the corner, signaling that it's time for us to debut our position rankings. And what better place to start than down in the trenches at offensive tackle? The last thing coaching staffs want in the modern-day NFL is a tackle who consistently ends up in the lap of the quarterback. Poor play at the position is a hindrance to both the quarterback — especially less-experienced ones — and the offense as a whole. That is part of the reason why 25% of the top 20 picks in the 2020 NFL Draft were offensive tackles. Nonetheless, these 25 tackles have put their offenses in positions to consistently succeed.

1. MITCHELL SCHWARTZ, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
While Schwartz wasn't named a top-10 offensive tackle by coaches, executives and his peers across the NFL, numbers never lie. And for that reason, Schwartz rings in at the top spot in our eyes. "

Read the rest of the article here:
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking...020-nfl-season
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:55 PM 08-13-2020
YES!!!

Thank you, PFF.

I have a really hard time coming up with a better pair of bookend tackles in the NFL. Probably NO, maybe the Ravens, maybe the Cowboys. Maaaaaaaybe the Colts?

For as much ridiculous and unsupportable shit as Fisher takes around here, he's part of what is no worse than a top 5 T unit in the entire NFL and that allows Reid to do a TON that most coaches can't do.

And people want to move on from the guy to save half what Laramy Tunsil is getting paid and replace him with a 3rd rounder with an injury history.

It's somehow moved beyond "MOVE ALBERT TO GUARD!!!!" in terms of pure stupidity.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:04 PM 08-13-2020
I'll admit that I was surprised (shocked might not be too strong a word) that they put Schwartz in the top spot. Gratifying in the extreme, but he gets so few mentions even by Chiefs insiders/fans, that I never expected anyone, least of all PFF to recognize and regard his play so highly. Very nice to see him get some recognition.

And Fisher, IMO, would be higher on the list if he hadn't gotten injured. I think he would've had an All-Pro type season otherwise. Hoping it works out for him this season, and he has a career year, and Chiefs fans finally appreciate him properly.

though I think we saw some of that after watching Cam play in his stead for 9 weeks . . . maybe.
[Reply]
Direckshun 07:13 PM 08-13-2020
We were undefeated with Fisher in the lineup in 2019.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 08:00 PM 08-13-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
YES!!!

Thank you, PFF.

I have a really hard time coming up with a better pair of bookend tackles in the NFL. Probably NO, maybe the Ravens, maybe the Cowboys. Maaaaaaaybe the Colts?

For as much ridiculous and unsupportable shit as Fisher takes around here, he's part of what is no worse than a top 5 T unit in the entire NFL and that allows Reid to do a TON that most coaches can't do.

And people want to move on from the guy to save half what Laramy Tunsil is getting paid and replace him with a 3rd rounder with an injury history.

It's somehow moved beyond "MOVE ALBERT TO GUARD!!!!" in terms of pure stupidity.
I think NO is better, but that's about it. Assuming NO is better, I'm still not sure I'd swap with them. As you noted, our tackles make a ton of crap possible. I love those guys.
[Reply]
tredadda 08:06 PM 08-13-2020
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
We were undefeated with Fisher in the lineup in 2019.
Truth. While he may never be Willie Roaf he is much better than given credit for. I honestly think if he wasn’t drafted #1 overall he would receive more love here.
[Reply]
lcarus 10:03 PM 08-13-2020
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Truth. While he may never be Willie Roaf he is much better than given credit for. I honestly think if he wasn’t drafted #1 overall he would receive more love here.
It's true. We saw just how much better the offense was when he was healthy. Look back at that draft and it was 100% the right pick. Joeckel is out of the league.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:35 PM 08-13-2020
I’ll bet Fisher and Schwartz were hugging and close to blowing each other when they found out that nine unemployed nerds living in their grandmother’s basements thought they did a good job last year.
[Reply]
Megatron96 10:43 PM 08-13-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I’ll bet Fisher and Schwartz were hugging and close to blowing each other when they found out that nine unemployed nerds living in their grandmother’s basements thought they did a good job last year.
That's a visual I definitely didn't need in my head.
[Reply]
BlackOp 03:16 AM 08-14-2020
Only two 2013 players drafted in the top 10...are is still with their original team....one of those is Fisher.

Lane Johnson is the other...at #4.

Chiefs did great considering the 20% success rate that year...and they landed Kelce in the 3rd....good chance he ends up in the HOF with Mahomes.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 05:14 AM 08-14-2020
Fisher’s taken some heat amongst KC fans for Bosa’s performance in the Super Bowl, but the wild thing is that Fisher’s performance against Bosa was arguably equal to how the Vikings and Packers tackles did against Nick in the playoffs. Bosa was just that dominant. Had the 9ers won and Bosa pulled down Pat in the 4th - that would have been considered an all time playoff performance.

Honestly, one could make a case Bosa had a GOAT run anyway. He set the all time record for SB pressures (eclipsing Reggie White, who had three sacks to go along with it in the 96 Super Bowl). It just didn’t result in a Championship because he ran into Patrick Mahomes. To give Fish some credit, it also seems like him and Pat were in sync for how Fish could maneuver so Pat could escape Bosa’s pressure. Hell, if Pat had both hands on the ball in the 3rd, Bosa might have gone the whole game without recording a single sack.
[Reply]
MeaTy The Pimp 05:22 AM 08-14-2020
THat and the fact that it took him so long to develop and come into his own. I know the first several years were rough watching him constantly being beaten like a rented mule, but then something clicked and he started playing alot better.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 05:46 AM 08-14-2020
Okung at the 25th spot? What a laugher. The guy barely played, and was terrible when I saw him in there.
[Reply]
ChiefBlueCFC 08:08 AM 08-14-2020
It's honestly wild to me that Schwartz isn't more respected as a top level tackle by people in the league. Absolutely confuses me
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:33 AM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by MeaTy The Pimp:
THat and the fact that it took him so long to develop and come into his own. I know the first several years were rough watching him constantly being beaten like a rented mule, but then something clicked and he started playing alot better.
Dude was a physical freak from a small college that dominated overmatched small-college players without technique.

He was always going to be a 1 year project and I think most people accepted that. Then his 2nd year he had the shoulder issue that impacted his functional strength so that 2nd year was a washout as well and that's when people really started riding him.

If you take that 2nd year out and 're-chart' his development arc, he was right on the track that should've been expected. Joeckel got a silly amount of love because he was a polished player that never had anywhere near the physical ability of Fisher (or Lane Johnson) whereas Fisher was a monster that was going to need a LOT of technique work.

Once he got healthy and had a couple of years under his belt, he has been very close to what was expected of him.

But the guy that said he'd take less heat but/for his draft status is absolutely right. Had he gone 2.1 instead of 1.1, nobody would have a cross word for the guy. He'd be seen as a life-long Chief we should lock up and hope to have finish his career here before his inevitable addition to the ring of honor.

He was the best pick out of a bad draft - that has nothing to do who he's been as a player.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up