ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3425 of 3903
« First < 2425292533253375341534213422342334243425 3426342734283429343534753525 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TLO 07:47 AM 01-29-2021

Big news: The JNJ vaccine results of 44,000 Phase 3 trial, a single dose. Overall 66% efficacy, with the contrast of 72% in US but 57% in South Africa, confirming immune escape/resistance of B.1.351 variant seen by Novavax pic.twitter.com/0WfXgkZVos

— Eric Topol (@EricTopol) January 29, 2021

This news is certainly welcome, clearly fulfills FDA threshold and adds to the vaccine tool chest. It is a clear drop down from the 2-dose mRNA efficacyhttps://t.co/Pgkdm1ggIg @matthewherper @statnews

— Eric Topol (@EricTopol) January 29, 2021

[Reply]
Marcellus 09:46 AM 01-29-2021
Looks like the rolling 7 day average for new cases has hit the Nov 17th levels so one would have to think that along with the vaccine should help keep that trend steady dropping.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:49 AM 01-29-2021
I'm not thrilled with those J&J results. I'm hoping I can pick one of the other vaccines when my turn comes up.
[Reply]
neech 09:53 AM 01-29-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I'm not thrilled with those J&J results. I'm hoping I can pick one of the other vaccines when my turn comes up.
Which one are you leaning towards getting? My opportunity to get a shot is coming up in a month or so supposedly. I'm favoring the Pfizer but can be persuaded.
[Reply]
O.city 09:59 AM 01-29-2021
They're good solid results. Not quite to the level of Pfizer but if you had told us before any of this these would be what we'd get, we'd be ecstatic.
[Reply]
TLO 10:01 AM 01-29-2021
Originally Posted by neech:
Which one are you leaning towards getting? My opportunity to get a shot is coming up in a month or so supposedly. I'm favoring the Pfizer but can be persuaded.
Get whichever is available to you.

If you're in line for a month or so you'll likely only have a chance for Moderna or Pfizer.

Take either one.
[Reply]
sd4chiefs 10:03 AM 01-29-2021
:-)

New Chinese Covid Anal Probes May Be The Most Accurate Way To Test For Travel

https://viewfromthewing.com/new-chin...om+the+Wing%29

[In China] they face a new indignity: the addition of anal swabs — yes, you read that right — to the testing regimen for those in quarantine.

Chinese state media outlets introduced the new protocol in recent days, prompting widespread discussion and some outrage. Some Chinese doctors say the science is there. Recovering patients, they say, have continued to test positive through samples from the lower digestive tract days after nasal and throat swabs came back negative.
[Reply]
neech 10:06 AM 01-29-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
Get whichever is available to you.

If you're in line for a month or so you'll likely only have a chance for Moderna or Pfizer.

Take either one.
Thanks, I'll have Dr. Josef Mengele inject me with the solution ASAP.
[Reply]
TLO 10:07 AM 01-29-2021
Originally Posted by sd4chiefs:
:-)

New Chinese Covid Anal Probes May Be The Most Accurate Way To Test For Travel

https://viewfromthewing.com/new-chin...om+the+Wing%29

[In China] they face a new indignity: the addition of anal swabs — yes, you read that right — to the testing regimen for those in quarantine.

Chinese state media outlets introduced the new protocol in recent days, prompting widespread discussion and some outrage. Some Chinese doctors say the science is there. Recovering patients, they say, have continued to test positive through samples from the lower digestive tract days after nasal and throat swabs came back negative.
** The following statement is not politically correct **

Fuck China.

Thank you.
[Reply]
TLO 10:09 AM 01-29-2021
Thanks, I'll have Dr. Josef Mengele inject me with the solution ASAP.
Might want to avoid the corpse of Dr. Mengle or anyone associated with him/his corpse.
[Reply]
louie aguiar 10:23 AM 01-29-2021
Agreed - I think that many will rather wait for one of the mrna vaccines that have 95% efficacy rather than the J&J or AZ vaccine with efficacy in the 60s
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 10:31 AM 01-29-2021
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
Total Doses Administered

Up about 1 million.

It'll be interesting to see how some of the countries going fast infection rates do. UAE and Israel are going to have enough people stuck that you'd think it'd start to make a big difference over the next month
A week later and 26.2 million doses administered total. Seems like it's speeding up a bit but nothing drastic

21.7 people with the first dose and 48 million distributed.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 10:40 AM 01-29-2021
Those Johnson and John results aren't super great. It appears it does a great job with symptom reduction and hospital avoidance, but not so much with reducing the spread.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:56 AM 01-29-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
They're good solid results. Not quite to the level of Pfizer but if you had told us before any of this these would be what we'd get, we'd be ecstatic.
Yeah, six months ago this would be great news. Now? Meh. I feel like an incredible jerk for saying this, but it's great for third-world countries who can't pay. I'll pay the thirty bucks or whatever if I have to to get the top of the line stuff.

Originally Posted by louie aguiar:
Agreed - I think that many will rather wait for one of the mrna vaccines that have 95% efficacy rather than the J&J or AZ vaccine with efficacy in the 60s
Yeah, like this.

I've traditionally been 51/49 Moderna over Pfizer, since it seemed to show fewer side effects, but I don't know if that's still holding true. They seem to be pretty much identical in outcomes, so I'm not picky between those two.

Novavax reported good results today at 89 percent but it tanked down to 49 percent for the South Africa variant, which is troublesome. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021...t-south-africa

I'm starting to think that a new decision factor for me (assuming I have a choice) would be performance against variants. I haven't read how Pfizer and Moderna are doing against South Africa. Apparently Astrazenica will have results out next week on that topic, but I don't think their general efficacy was very strong, right? How did that discrepancy turn out with Astrazenica where they were showing 90 percent after one round and 62 percent after two rounds?

Being at the back of the vaccine line is nice on one hand because I can watch what's happening as more data is collected. But I'll be unhappy if I get to the front of the line in June or July and they say, "Hey, we got a big batch of low-efficacy vaccine so we'll give you that instead of the 95 percent stuff." Any vaccine is better than no vaccine, but I'll pay the thirty bucks if I can to get the high-end stuff.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:57 AM 01-29-2021
Yeah, six months ago this would be great news. Now? Meh. I feel like an incredible jerk for saying this, but it's great for third-world countries who can't pay. I'll pay the thirty bucks or whatever if I have to to get the top of the line stuff.
I'm with you provided that we eventually have the option for either of those before J&J is available. If someone said "you're up tomorrow, but only if you get J&J," I'd do it without blinking.
[Reply]
Page 3425 of 3903
« First < 2425292533253375341534213422342334243425 3426342734283429343534753525 > Last »
Up