ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 262 of 361
« First < 162212252258259260261262 263264265266272312 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 12:13 PM 01-17-2021
Even though SLS really needs to die, that sucks pretty bad. It's almost certain SLS won't fly in 2021 now.

Even though the programs are in dramatically different places, it's also striking how different it is for Starship vs. SLS. Starship finds some issues? Swap a couple of engines. Hopefully fly in a week. SLS finds some issues? Back to the drawing board. Hopefully fly next year.
[Reply]
DaFace 03:52 PM 01-18-2021
Kind of flew under the radar that Virgin managed to get to orbit yesterday! That doesn't sound like much, but they're only the third private company to do so (I think), and no one has ever done it from under a jet before. Pretty cool.

“Looks like the blue skies went to black!” We are overjoyed to share this new video of our Launch Demo 2 flight. The adrenaline is still flowing after we aced this flight and delivered satellites for nine different @NASA and university teams exactly to their target orbit. pic.twitter.com/nVX21hXywi

— Virgin Orbit (@Virgin_Orbit) January 18, 2021

[Reply]
DaFace 02:38 PM 01-19-2021
As a sign of things to come, SpaceX appears to have purchased two oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico and named them Phobos and Deimos (moons of Mars). Doesn't take a rocket scientist (pun intended) to figure out that these will likely be involved in Starship down the road.

Following up on @thejackbeyer's find, I can confirm that Deimos and Phobos are the names of two oil rigs purchased by SpaceX – likely for conversion to support Starship operations.

ENSCO 8500 and ENSCO 8501 were the previous names of the rigs. They are nearly identical twins.

— Michael Baylor (@nextspaceflight) :-)?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 19, 2021

(more info if you click into the full thread)
[Reply]
Donger 03:55 PM 01-19-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
As a sign of things to come, SpaceX appears to have purchased two oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico and named them Phobos and Deimos (moons of Mars). Doesn't take a rocket scientist (pun intended) to figure out that these will likely be involved in Starship down the road.

(more info if you click into the full thread)
Makes complete sense. Those rigs are semi-submersibles. Or, half sunk. Or, half floating?

:-)
[Reply]
kstater 05:05 PM 01-19-2021
Is the thought to launch from them, or catch the booster?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
[Reply]
DaFace 05:06 PM 01-19-2021
Originally Posted by kstater:
Is the thought to launch from them, or catch the booster?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Complete conjecture, but most likely both. Recent Twitter ramblings from Musk suggest they're trying to figure out how to basically catch the boosters on the launch pad itself so they can just fuel them up again and be ready to launch with a new payload.
[Reply]
kstater 07:18 PM 01-19-2021
Complete conjecture, but most likely both. Recent Twitter ramblings from Musk suggest they're trying to figure out how to basically catch the boosters on the launch pad itself so they can just fuel them up again and be ready to launch with a new payload.
Well that would be badass

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
unlurking 08:47 PM 01-19-2021
Just to be clear, catch and launch the Super Heavy, land the Starship. :-)
[Reply]
DaFace 11:39 AM 01-20-2021
I slept through this one, but launch #8 for a booster!

Falcon 9 launches Starlink to orbit – the eighth launch and landing of this booster pic.twitter.com/zyj8ZdDFql

— SpaceX (@SpaceX) January 20, 2021

[Reply]
Donger 12:23 PM 01-20-2021

[Reply]
Donger 02:03 PM 01-20-2021
Possible SN9 static fire with the two new engines today:

[Reply]
Hydrae 02:10 PM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by Donger:
You can tell how softly it sets down there. When watching the launch last week it was hard to tell if that soft landing worked or if the puff of dust was from the force of the landing.
[Reply]
unlurking 06:27 PM 01-20-2021
Definitely looks like a hell of a fun ride. Out of my price range though. :-)
[Reply]
Donger 06:19 PM 01-21-2021
Seems like SN9 doesn't want to fly...

Starship SN9 Static Fire testing during a foggy day in Boca Chica.

Looked short and lacking the usual power of a normal test. Potential abort during the firing?

➡️https://t.co/3JwGoYpjN4 pic.twitter.com/wrMUPF15kd

— Chris B - NSF (@NASASpaceflight) January 21, 2021

[Reply]
Donger 09:55 AM 01-22-2021

STATIC FIRE! Starship SN9 fires up her three Raptors. Very smooth morning pad flow to ignition.

Looks and sounded very good. Let's hope the data was good to approve launch next week.

SN9 Status:https://t.co/Q0QbkThFh6

➡️https://t.co/KLFof9P5Ts pic.twitter.com/fs7KK78WYb

— Chris B - NSF (@NASASpaceflight) January 22, 2021

[Reply]
Page 262 of 361
« First < 162212252258259260261262 263264265266272312 > Last »
Up