ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Nzoner's Game Room>January Crock Pot Goodies
gblowfish 12:34 PM 01-26-2021
It's crock pot season! Here in cow country, there's all kind of funky receipes for Crock Pots. I went to a pot luck party in Lexington, MO a few years ago and one of our friends brought what she called "Cowboy Beans." This is the recipe. You can do this in the oven at low heat -275 degrees- or in a crock pot for several hours. I like the crock pot. If you don't like bacon you can use Chorizo Sausage. Instead of pork & beans I use Bush's baked beans. Instead of catsup I just add more BBQ sauce. I like Original KC Masterpiece (not the cheap Clorox stuff, but original recipe) and use a little more black molasses instead of brown sugar. Or you can use sorghum. I like black beans and butter beans in the bean mix. You can serve this up like Chili. It's super good! How bout you? Whatcha got?
Attached: settlerbeansrecipe.jpg (110.4 KB) 
[Reply]
srvy 01:42 AM 01-31-2021
Originally Posted by cabletech94:
Made chicken tacos in the crockpot for the first time. So easy.

1. 2 fresh chicken breasts
2. 1 pint of salsa ( I used homemade, year old batch)
3. Generous serving of bulk taco seasoning (probably 2 packages of taco season).

Slow cooker for 7 to 8 hours. Shred. Pile together with your favorite taco ingredients. Enjoy!
I do a similar chicken taco. Instead, I use a jar of green salsa verde a package of dry Williams usually chicken taco seasoning. My son loves them.
[Reply]
cabletech94 08:03 AM 01-31-2021
Originally Posted by srvy:
I do a similar chicken taco. Instead, I use a jar of green salsa verde a package of dry Williams usually chicken taco seasoning. My son loves them.
Oooooooo. I like that verde option!!!! Love the options when it comes to tacos!!!!! Hundreds if not thousands of options!!!!
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 09:43 AM 01-31-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
What kind of rice?
I was going to make brown rice, but if I used the basmati it would empty the container, and my OCD kicked in.
[Reply]
gblowfish 12:12 PM 01-31-2021
The Cowboy beans turned out great. They get a little greasy when crocked for several hours as the bacon continues to break down. The flavor was outstanding. Best to serve with a slotted spoon.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:16 PM 01-31-2021
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
The Cowboy beans turned out great. They get a little greasy when crocked for several hours as the bacon continues to break down. The flavor was outstanding. Best to serve with a slotted spoon.
Cook the bacon first? Maybe add 1/3 of the bacon fat?
[Reply]
gblowfish 12:21 PM 01-31-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Cook the bacon first? Maybe add 1/3 of the bacon fat?
I did cook the bacon first. I used the thick cut bacon and I just think it's got a lot of fat in it. Slow cooking for six hours is going to eek out a bunch more fat.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:23 PM 01-31-2021
Good to know. Thanks, G.
[Reply]
gblowfish 12:26 PM 01-31-2021
Yeah, I think on the next batch I'm going to use standard cut bacon and maybe just use a half a package instead of a full package. That would be a good adjustment. Maybe use leaner beef too. Ground Chuck is around 80/20, maybe I'll use the 90/10 next time.
[Reply]
Sorce 12:40 PM 01-31-2021
Originally Posted by cabletech94:
Made chicken tacos in the crockpot for the first time. So easy.

1. 2 fresh chicken breasts
2. 1 pint of salsa ( I used homemade, year old batch)
3. Generous serving of bulk taco seasoning (probably 2 packages of taco season).

Slow cooker for 7 to 8 hours. Shred. Pile together with your favorite taco ingredients. Enjoy!
I do a similar recipe in the instant pot, 3 chicken thighs, one breast a cup of broth, taco seasoning and salsa. Shred and return to liquid. Then remove chicken and serve.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
ptlyon 01:38 PM 01-31-2021
Agree on the bacon. Cook the fat out so it's not in the beans and then it also has texture.
[Reply]
bringbackmarty 02:53 PM 01-31-2021
Originally Posted by Sorce:
  • Stick of butter
  • 2 bricks of cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup pepperjack cheese
  • 2lbs frozen corn.

Let everything but the corn melt in a crock pot then add the corn and let it heat through.
I'm making this today, gotta sub the pepper jack out for cheddar because my kids are wusses and don't like anything spicy.
[Reply]
Holladay 07:24 PM 02-01-2021
Welp, going to do the meatballs for a Super Bowl get together!

For the first few games I did my chili and Bang Bang Shrimp. Both turned out great.

I copied and pasted all of the recipes on the thread. I have not tried Crock Pot stuff yet. As I tend to burn water, a crock pot will be of great assistance.

There are some mighty fine cooks on the Planet. Thanks.

Whoops, We are screwed.

Wouldn't be cool to have a "Chiefs Planet" cook book to sell in the KC area:-)
[Reply]
Stryker 07:42 PM 02-01-2021
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
How bout this one?
Crock Pot Mushrooms:

3 or 4 packages of your favorite whole or sliced mushrooms
1 bottle Wishbone or your favorite zesty italian dressing
about 1/3 bottle of worsh sause
1/2 stick of butter. Use real butter.
tablespoon minced garlic
Dash of onion powder
Tablespoon of Old Bay seasoning

Crockpot on low for 4 or 5 hours.
Enjoy!
Been wanting to try this since you first mentioned a while back! Thank you kind sir for the recipe!
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up