ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Ravens propose an interesting OT rule change
RunKC 03:34 PM 03-04-2021
This looks like a great alternative IMO:

Originally Posted by :
It works like this: One team picks the spot of the ball to start overtime, and the other team chooses whether to play offense or defense.

If the one team picks, for example, the offense’s own 20 yard line, the opponent would then choose whether to play offense from their own 20 or to play defense, with the other team having the ball on its own 20. This would minimize greatly the impact of the coin toss; under this proposal, the coin toss would be used only to give the team that wins the toss the right to pick the spot of the ball (along with the end zone to be defended) or to choose offense or defense.

"Spot and choose." Get used to that term. The Ravens will be proposing it as a new way to more fairly resolve overtime games than tossing a coin to determine first possession. https://t.co/AQLkBQ6jCJ

— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) March 4, 2021

[Reply]
eDave 04:13 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
Why not just leave it alone? Or at the most, drop the TD and it's over rule. Make sure each team gets a posession.
It definitely needs tweaked.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 04:24 PM 03-04-2021
Nothing proposed will help the ravens win a SB with whats his butt.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 04:42 PM 03-04-2021
It's too cute.

Make it simple. Guarantee each team one possession.

If the score is tied after each tie has had a possession, make it a sudden death game. Next team to score wins.
[Reply]
kccrow 04:50 PM 03-04-2021
It's stupid.

One team would always pick the 1-yard line and the other team would always pick offense because they'd rather take their chances than give the other team 1st and goal from the 1.

It really does not matter what limitations they give, the spot team will always pick the point furthest from the opponent's endzone.

The only way to make it fair is to go to the college system or some hybrid.

My vote would be to go the exact college system with one exception, start the ball at the 50 instead of the 25.
[Reply]
suzzer99 05:01 PM 03-04-2021
Just do my idea:

If the first team to touch the ball scores, the second team gets one chance to beat (not tie) that score. Otherwise OT is sudden death as normal.

So if they kick a FG, you have to score a TD. If they score a TD+1, you have to score a TD+2. If they have the balls to go for a TD+2, they win. But if they miss, they leave themselves open to losing to a TD+1.

Think of how exciting it would have been in the AFCCG - knowing Mahomes had to drive for an TD+2 to win, no ties.

It's debatable if you even want to take the ball in this scenario. I think you do, but it's a hell of a lot closer than now when winning the coin flip is such a gigantic advantage.
[Reply]
TEX 05:04 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
It's too cute.

If the score is tied after each tie has had a possession, make it a sudden death game. Next team to score wins.
Exactly. Nice and simple. That's the problem....
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 05:07 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Just do my idea:

If the first team to touch the ball scores, the second team gets one chance to beat (not tie) that score. Otherwise OT is sudden death as normal.

So if they kick a FG, you have to score a TD. If they score a TD+1, you have to score a TD+2. If they have the balls to go for a TD+2, they win. But if they miss, they leave themselves open to losing to a TD+1.

Think of how exciting it would have been in the AFCCG - knowing Mahomes had to drive for an TD+2 to win, no ties.

It's debatable if you even want to take the ball in this scenario. I think you do, but it's a hell of a lot closer than now when winning the coin flip is such a gigantic advantage.
I like the idea in the OP. But this idea is also much better than the current system.

But OT needs to go back to 15 minutes in any event.
[Reply]
Sorry 05:34 PM 03-04-2021
I’d rather have this:

Team starts at 20 yard line in the redZone. Only get one first down. If you’re within the ten yard line- which means you got the first down- you cannot win a third set of downs of there is a DPI, you only get another try of whatever down you’re on. If the defense wants to just do dpi then the offense moves up closer but there are no resetting of the downs. So if it’s 4th down, it stays forth down.

But if it’s a turnover downs it goes back to the 20 for the other squad. So it’s not a sudden death match but an actual shortened quarter and whoever has the most points at the end wins. I think maybe a 6-8 min quarter with one timeout and one challenge.

Idk I’m an advocate for a true winner takes all where both teams get a chance to score
[Reply]
OrtonsPiercedTaint 05:37 PM 03-04-2021
Time for Lamar's next contract. Quick everyone look busy!
[Reply]
kysirsoze 05:41 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
It's stupid.

One team would always pick the 1-yard line and the other team would always pick offense because they'd rather take their chances than give the other team 1st and goal from the 1.
All but like 3 or 4 teams would be stupid to take offense on the 1.
[Reply]
kysirsoze 05:42 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
It's too cute.

I like that it's cute!
[Reply]
scho63 05:44 PM 03-04-2021
For anyone who has ever owned a business with a partner, this is how many do a buy/sell agreement.

One person sets a price of the business and the other has the right then to sell it or buy it at that price.

It keeps the price fair: you put too high a price you gotta buy it, too low a price the other guy buys it.
[Reply]
crispystl 05:52 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
It's stupid.

This^^
[Reply]
crispystl 05:54 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Just do my idea:

This is pretty good actually.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 06:03 PM 03-04-2021
Uhhhh, no.

College rules would be fine. I’d really like to see a full 15 min quarter, but I get why that won’t work.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up