ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 44 of 324
« First < 344041424344 454647485494144 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
Rams Fan 01:37 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
In my pipe dream mind, I was really hoping we'd look at somebody like Matt House. He would have been a great option, but it was clear from the get go that we weren't going to risk it on somebody as inexperienced as him.
No, Matt House needs to stay at Kentucky and continue to do awesome things with Mark Stoops.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 03:44 AM 01-25-2019
We might as well cue up the inevitable term Spaggots (for people who support Spagnuolo when the defense sucks) and add it to Chiefsplanet lexicon.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 05:04 AM 01-25-2019
SS is the perfect guy to keep DF behind the line of scrimmage! :-)
[Reply]
Dr. Yu Weed Tard 05:21 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic:
We might as well cue up the inevitable term Spaggots (for people who support Spagnuolo when the defense sucks) and add it to Chiefsplanet lexicon.
I can think of a few Spaggots on this board already.
[Reply]
Dr. Yu Weed Tard 05:22 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by SuperBowl4:
SS is the perfect guy to keep DF behind the line of scrimmage! :-)
About a week too late.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 05:48 AM 01-25-2019
Didn't read all 44 pages so can someone explain to me why this is a good thing? Another Andy Reid yes man? Been sitting at home for a year because he's so good?

I guess I'm still upset that Andy and company didn't have the Chiefs ready for the Patriots.
[Reply]
Dr. Yu Weed Tard 05:59 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
Didn't read all 44 pages so can someone explain to me why this is a good thing? Another Andy Reid yes man? Been sitting at home for a year because he's so good?

I guess I'm still upset that Andy and company didn't have the Chiefs ready for the Patriots.
It's not good. Spags sucks spaggot donkey balls. He's a pile of hot, steaming garbage on top of hot, steaming dogshit. Topped with ebolAIDS-filled antifreeze.

I have no confidence that he can do any improvements through scheme, we'd better get some top-end talent and hope that The Big Spaggot can get them all on the same page.
[Reply]
bigjosh 06:09 AM 01-25-2019
I admittedly dont know much about his defense.

What is his philosophy with the secondary? Will this team be playing alot of zone? Will they be pressing up in man? Are they going to be giving a 10 yard cushion on 3rd and 5?

Is it a gang tackle type of defense, or is every man responsible to make the tackle on their own like in suttons shitty scheme.

Im not thrilled with this hire, going strictly by numbers provided. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt based on a sort of “victim of circumstance” in his past dealings. This defense needed a change and they certainly got it. I hope the year off provided him a new energy and spark.
[Reply]
FAX 06:15 AM 01-25-2019
We have the draft. We have FA. We have a few players who may well be ascending and a couple who are already pretty darn good.

Wally doesn't need a world-beater. He needs somebody who can command respect among the players, will be hands-on, and can gameplan for the AFCW and a few other teams (including the Cheaters). That's all he needs.

This isn't a sexy hire, but it doesn't need to be. Wally isn't going to jeopardize this opportunity.

FAX
[Reply]
morphius 06:26 AM 01-25-2019
I want to be wrong here, but I feel like this is a lateral move. I want to be wrong, but damn this is disappointing. Just a hire of a guy Reid is comfortable with, that really doesn't seem to have a lot on the resume of keeping defenses good, nor much ability in turning bad defenses around.
[Reply]
Chiefs Moon 06:35 AM 01-25-2019
This is Andy's last, best chance to win a Super Bowl. If he screwed up this hiring, he deserves to be fired. The Chiefs have a window to make an enormous amount of money and win an incredible number of games with Mahomes. If Reid hired the wrong DC, it is an unforgivable blunder. I really like Reid, but this hire is everything. He has to get this one right.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 06:39 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
I've probably been the most vocal proponent on here of the fact that defensive coordinators can generally only **** things up. We certainly don't disagree that the Chiefs D is lacking in talent and that talent trumps scheming when it comes to defense (to an extent).

Also, if you're saying that if you give Spags the talent he can get the D to average, then you're also ignoring the fact that Sutton did the same thing (and beyond) with a more talented Chiefs defense. And given that, is the problem really the coordinator, or the personnel department?
People keep saying that but Houston, Berry, dj, Hali could never stay on the field. He was constantly shuffling chairs at cb, lb, safety. Suttons scheme succeeded because at the time it was well suited for the NFL. Then the pick play happened. Then tightened rules on pass interference. Sutton tried to adjust to the new nfl and flat out couldn't. By the end it was clear he had no idea what he was doing. He had one ace up his sleeve and God help us if that didn't work. Sutton with talent wasn't going to make the team average. He had zero confidence in his scheme and the players knew it.

What I feel good about is that spagnuolo can flat out coach DB's. We'll improve there. Our D will play with heart they haven't had in years. Our scheme may not be perfect but it's fine for today's nfl. Is that good enough for top 20-25? I feel good about that.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 06:41 AM 01-25-2019
Here's the other question... Is it that spagnuolo needs a ton of talent to be top 20? Or does he just need reasonable time and a good head coach who can put together a stable locker room.
[Reply]
Mecca 06:53 AM 01-25-2019
One upside is he's a cover 3 guy and not a cover 2 guy so that should make it where there aren't huge holes in the middle of the field.
[Reply]
wheeler08 06:54 AM 01-25-2019
Maybe this has been asked, but I’ve had a hard time keeping up with every page...Do you think he will bring in a whole new staff, or does everyone get to keep their job on the shitty defensive staff?
[Reply]
Page 44 of 324
« First < 344041424344 454647485494144 > Last »
Up