ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 109 of 324
« First < 95999105106107108109 110111112113119159209 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
htismaqe 11:13 PM 01-30-2019
Originally Posted by Buckweath:
Yeah a lot of fans have no clue what the average mid-low 1st round pick performs like. I see it all the time around here.

I don't know if you are one of them.
Of course. Most Chiefs fans only know what CHIEFS 1st round picks perform like - you know, like Dee Ford, who FINALLY produced in the 5th freaking year of his contract.

:-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:19 PM 01-30-2019
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
Tagged players traded? I can think of 1. Nobdoy is trading for a one trick pony. He's far from a complete player.
Then the Chiefs just rescind the tag. Unless you think he's going to sign it immediately.
[Reply]
jaa1025 12:29 AM 01-31-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Everything I keep hearing from people who actually talk to people associated with the Chiefs basically imply that Tanoh and Speaks playing 3-4 OLB was dumb as ****. No wonder these guys haven’t looked good. They aren’t built to be in ****ing coverage, ever.

I think these guys have potential in a 4-3 as DE’s.

And for the “Speaks is too slow!” crowd...Michael Bennett and Derek Barnett ran slower times than him. Let’s see what he can do in a position to succeed instead of being set up to fail.
Exactly.

Hell, I thought KPass actually looked pretty good in the preseason rushing the passer. He played a 4-3 DE in college and projected as a 4-3 DE in the NFL. I still feel like he can play and hopefully, whatever dog house he was in has vanished with Bob Sutton. I hated Speaks for the 3-4 OLB but I think he fits better as a strong side DE or 3 technique DE in Spags scheme.

DoD and Hitchens fit a 4-3 like a glove.

Ton Foil Hat: Reid had a handshake agreement in place with Spags last off season knowing that this season was Sutton's last year. Spags took a year off to regroup and perfect his schemes for the new NFL. That's why Veach drafted and signed 4-3 players. It's been in the works for over a year.
[Reply]
jaa1025 12:42 AM 01-31-2019
Tagged players traded? I can think of 1. Nobdoy is trading for a one trick pony. He's far from a complete player.
Tagged players get traded. The Chiefs have been involved with 2. Matt Cassel and Jared Allen. Jarvis Landry was tagged and traded for last off season. It's not uncommon.

And Ford improved tremendously against the run. He's not playing OLB in this system and is an ideal fit for the Weakside DE. He's going to be here next year.
[Reply]
RunKC 01:20 AM 01-31-2019
:-)
[Reply]
Chargem 01:34 AM 01-31-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Then the Chiefs just rescind the tag. Unless you think he's going to sign it immediately.
It's a bit of a catch 22 though, because you can't trade him until he signs the tag, so you kind of need him to sign it quickly.

In the very unlikely event that they couldn't find a trade partner, they would indeed be stuck with him in all likelihood.
[Reply]
Chargem 01:36 AM 01-31-2019
Speaks isn't a pass rusher though. In college, he was largely a run-stuffing 4-3 DE that slid inside. To my knowledge, he had never really rushed the passer without his hand in the dirt before he joined the Chiefs.
I think you're miss-remembering, he was never vaunted as a run stuffer. He was a decently productive pass rusher on the defensive interior.
[Reply]
staylor26 06:42 AM 01-31-2019
Speaks isn't a pass rusher though. In college, he was largely a run-stuffing 4-3 DE that slid inside. To my knowledge, he had never really rushed the passer without his hand in the dirt before he joined the Chiefs.
You’re way off here. He was a late bloomer that got 7 sacks his final year in the SEC as an interior DL. That’s what got him drafted higher than expected.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:00 AM 01-31-2019
I don't think Spagnuolo had any gentlemen's agreement with Reid. I DO think it likely that Reid had decided that interior pass rush was the key to disrupting today's very quick passing game, and a one gap, attacking 4-3 was something he wanted to move to. I think he didn't want to change the GM and then the QB and defense all at once, and so decided with the contracts on hand to play out one last season with the current 3-4 personnel and alignment while he handed the keys to his young QB on offense. He wanted to be able to concentrate on that without concerning himself with the defense for a season. Problem was, the apt pupil was more advanced than anyone imagined, and Mahomes had an MVP season and that tired old defensive scheme bit him in the ass.

But looking at last year's draft it sure looks like they were positioning themselves to move out of the 3-4.
[Reply]
Hoover 07:48 AM 01-31-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I don't think Spagnuolo had any gentlemen's agreement with Reid. I DO think it likely that Reid had decided that interior pass rush was the key to disrupting today's very quick passing game, and a one gap, attacking 4-3 was something he wanted to move to. I think he didn't want to change the GM and then the QB and defense all at once, and so decided with the contracts on hand to play out one last season with the current 3-4 personnel and alignment while he handed the keys to his young QB on offense. He wanted to be able to concentrate on that without concerning himself with the defense for a season. Problem was, the apt pupil was more advanced than anyone imagined, and Mahomes had an MVP season and that tired old defensive scheme bit him in the ass.

But looking at last year's draft it sure looks like they were positioning themselves to move out of the 3-4.
Great post
[Reply]
Sully 08:21 AM 01-31-2019
I think he's incredibly overrated, and that there is little chance he's here. You should just prepare yourself. But it'll be okay.
I'm glad I'm not the only one.
[Reply]
St. Patty's Fire 08:22 AM 01-31-2019
Originally Posted by Buckweath:
Dee Ford is so underappreciated by some fans. Crazy stuff.
The thing with Ford that’s so tough is that’s he’s just so insanely one dimensional. Granted, he’s among the best in that dimension, but the rest of his game is mostly non existent. He’s a liability of 2/3 downs and an elite player on 1. Is that worth a huge chunk of cap space? It’s a real debate.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:54 AM 01-31-2019
Originally Posted by JohnDONsey:
The thing with Ford that’s so tough is that’s he’s just so insanely one dimensional. Granted, he’s among the best in that dimension, but the rest of his game is mostly non existent. He’s a liability of 2/3 downs and an elite player on 1. Is that worth a huge chunk of cap space? It’s a real debate.
This is perhaps the most concise description yet. Perfectly stated.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:01 AM 01-31-2019
one thing to consider, is that we have just entered a long window of opportunity with a once-in-a-generation talent at QB. Yes, we have 2 years on his rookie deal, but more important than that is that we need to set up long term organizational health and a plan for player development.

the traditionally expensive positions are QB, pass rusher, CB, LT, WR.
We've got a QB and QR 'bout to get paid. We have an unusual DT talent 'bout to get paid. We've got to figure out what we're going to do with Ford and Houston, one who already got paid, one 'bout to.

CB is a spot where we'll need to draft, develop, and then let them go before we have to pay that huge second contract. Your FA's have to be reclamation projects or less expensive positions.

We've got 3 picks in the first two rounds. Probably one more coming with a Trade and Tag for Ford.

We need a couple of corners and a DE/edge guy in those 3 picks. And they need to be hits.
Aside from the obvious drafting well, I’d like to see us offload talented players we don’t plan on resigning.
Dee Ford is a possibility this year, though I don’t see Andy doing that unfortunately.

I think we need to trade Sammy Watkins after 2019. He simply isn’t worth the money and his value should be worth a 2nd rd pick. Recoup value and get another cheap, young player to replace them.

Pats are great at this. Just did it with Brandin Cooks.
[Reply]
mcaj22 09:02 AM 01-31-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Aside from the obvious drafting well, I’d like to see us offload talented players we don’t plan on resigning.
Dee Ford is a possibility this year, though I don’t see Andy doing that unfortunately.

I think we need to trade Sammy Watkins after 2019. He simply isn’t worth the money and his value should be worth a 2nd rd pick. Recoup value and get another cheap, young player to replace them.

Pats are great at this. Just did it with Brandin Cooks.
Sammy Watkins is no Brandin Cooks
[Reply]
Page 109 of 324
« First < 95999105106107108109 110111112113119159209 > Last »
Up