ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1359 of 2684
« First < 35985912591309134913551356135713581359 136013611362136313691409145918592359 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Patrick Mahomes Thread*****
Dante84 07:19 PM 04-27-2017
IT ****ING HAPPENED

OP UPDATE:

Because of all the interest in this thread, I've place all of the video content of Patrick Mahomes II's college career, and draft day goodness into a single post that can be found here. Enjoy!
[Reply]
DRM08 01:54 PM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
:-)

Mahomes gonna sign a 10-year, $400 million deal.
Guys like Kirk Cousins getting $28m per year right now, lulz. Maybe Captain Kirk should have gone for a longer deal. He was hoping he could demand $35m+ in a few years but I don’t think anyone would be willing to give him that now. He looks very overpriced at $28m.
[Reply]
milkman 02:00 PM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Guys like Kirk Cousins getting $28m per year right now, lulz. Maybe Captain Kirk should have gone for a longer deal. He was hoping he could demand $35m+ in a few years but I don’t think anyone would be willing to give him that now. He looks very overpriced at $28m.
He looked that way when he signed that deal,

Mediocre QBs are getting way overpaid.
[Reply]
bowener 02:02 PM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by kgrund:
Hold the brakes on the Brady being great for accepting less. You are aware his supermodel wife makes sick money that would exceed his annual salary even if he was the highest QB in the league? Brady is a unique situation, he can afford to give away a dollar or two because, unlike everybody else, he is the second breadwinner in the house.
Yeah, I am aware. That's the point. Mahomes is the child of a pro athlete that made a lot of money. He was set before he was born.
[Reply]
O.city 02:04 PM 12-12-2018
Cousins isn't worth that, but he's the first QB of that nature to actually hit the market.

If a prime Andrew Luck hit the market after his rookie deal, he'd get broken off even more.

If I were Pat when my deal came due, i'd tell them I want 15% of the cap, whatever the cap is year to year.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:04 PM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
Mahomes deserves every penny he gets. Personally, now I'd love to see that plan implemented where the QB salary doesn't count against the cap. :-)
I think the league will have to do that. I mean, you could simply increase the cap in anticipation of such signings, but I think a separate pool for QBs makes much more sense.
[Reply]
Hoover 02:06 PM 12-12-2018
Cowherd is talking about the need for the Cowboys to sign Dak early to a deal that averages 23 million a year, instead of waiting and maybe having to pay 28-29 mil on average.

I think he's right, but damn 23M for Dak....
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:09 PM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Cowherd is talking about the need for the Cowboys to sign Dak early to a deal that averages 23 million a year, instead of waiting and maybe having to pay 28-29 mil on average.

I'm glad the Chiefs aren't in that position. Pat wants how much? Ok, that seems low, but ok.
[Reply]
O.city 02:09 PM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by Hoover:

That actually wouldn't be bad if they could get him for 23. Cap going up, that's like 16 or 17 a few years back.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 02:10 PM 12-12-2018
Dak needs to be signing for somewhere around 23. Get the QB market where it should. If you aren’t even close to being better than Rodgers, you shouldn’t be up around his ball park for salary.
[Reply]
carcosa 02:14 PM 12-12-2018
When are they allowed to extend him??
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:34 PM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by bowener:
Yeah, I am aware. That's the point. Mahomes is the child of a pro athlete that made a lot of money. He was set before he was born.
Patrick Mahomes was the son of a major league journeyman in an era prior to the DVR boom where many were paid well, but not 'generational wealth' well.

Mahomes Sr. hasn't pitched for a living for nearly a decade and spent most of his career bouncing up and down between the majors and minors. There's an pretty good chance that he didn't even hit the 10 years of required big-league service to to fully vest his MLB pension.

Patrick Mahomes II probably came from a little more money than most of us did...but not a ton more. His father was retired by the time he was 8 yrs old and he retired as a 33 yr old man with a life to live and no obvious source of long-term income. He'd have made somewhere between 2.5-3 million total by then. Certainly great money at that age, but not 'big baller' money and with the 2008 market crash, not enough to just invest and live off of for the rest of your life. By the time Pat Sr. retired, II's parents were divorced and he was living with his mother who has evidently been something of a part-time events coordinator most of her working life.

Pat Sr. had 40+ years of living ahead of him and Pat II lived with his event coordinator mother. If he lived much more than an upper middle class upbringing, I'd be surprised. If you happen to have 2 relatively successful parents; like a loan officer and a middle management type - your family is/was probably pulling in as much money as Patrick grew up with.

He made SIGNIFICANTLY more money than both of his parents combined the moment he signed his NFL contract. No, nothing about his upbringing will have any bearing on his willingness or ability to sign a discounted contract here.
[Reply]
carcosa 02:37 PM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Patrick Mahomes was the son of a major league journeyman in an era prior to the DVR boom where many were paid well, but not 'generational wealth' well.

Mahomes Sr. hasn't pitched for a living for nearly a decade and spent most of his career bouncing up and down between the majors and minors. There's an pretty good chance that he didn't even hit the 10 years of required big-league service to to fully vest his MLB pension.

Patrick Mahomes II probably came from a little more money than most of us did...but not a ton more. His father was retired by the time he was 8 yrs old and he retired as a 33 yr old man with a life to live and no obvious source of long-term income. He'd have made somewhere between 2.5-3 million total by then. Certainly great money at that age, but not 'big baller' money and with the 2008 market crash, not enough to just invest and live off of for the rest of your life. By the time Pat Sr. retired, II's parents were divorced and he was living with his mother who has evidently been something of a part-time events coordinator most of her working life.

Pat Sr. had 40+ years of living ahead of him and Pat II lived with his event coordinator mother. If he lived much more than an upper middle class upbringing, I'd be surprised. If you happen to have 2 relatively successful parents; like a loan officer and a middle management type - your family is/was probably pulling in as much money as Patrick grew up with.

He made SIGNIFICANTLY more money than both of his parents combined the moment he signed his NFL contract. No, nothing about his upbringing will have any bearing on his willingness or ability to sign a discounted contract here.
good post
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:45 PM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

I'm not saying its going to happen but I think he be inclined to sign a deal that allows him to be wealthy while still allowing the team to sign some other guys.

Pat doesn't seem like a me first kind of guy. He is going to get paid, big time, but I do't think money will be his top priority as long as its fair.

In other words I wouldn't be surprised if he left a little on the table.

Maybe I'm wrong.
[Reply]
Best22 02:54 PM 12-12-2018
Think about this:

He passed on contracts worth millions of $ in the MLB to play in the NFL.

He took a huge risk (many people felt he made a bad decision) and probably wants to get paid. If we have to pay him $40 million every penny will be worth it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:56 PM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I'm not saying its going to happen but I think he be inclined to sign a deal that allows him to be wealthy while still allowing the team to sign some other guys.

Pat doesn't seem like a me first kind of guy. He is going to get paid, big time, but I do't think money will be his top priority as long as its fair.

In other words I wouldn't be surprised if he left a little on the table.

Maybe I'm wrong.
That's fine and a worthwhile argument.

But "He's the wealthy spawn of a rich athlete" is just a complete non-starter.

If anything, what appears to be a lifetime of being grounded and humble has made him into a guy who might prefer seeing his teammates get their over getting all of his. He might be willing to sacrifice a little to keep the team in its best shape.

But none of that has to do with his parents financial wherewithal and to argue that it does is pretty damn insulting to Mahomes II. Guys just a good kid. There are plenty of rich assholes who see money as a birthright and build their lives around it (see: Manziel, Johnny) and plenty of folks from humble beginnings that end up not giving a whit about being rich. And the inverse is true in both directions.

It's just a completely asinine outlook on it.
[Reply]
Page 1359 of 2684
« First < 35985912591309134913551356135713581359 136013611362136313691409145918592359 > Last »
Up