ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1186 of 3903
« First < 18668610861136117611821183118411851186 118711881189119011961236128616862186 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
burt 09:49 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
And once again....
:-):-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
petegz28 09:49 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Ideally, yes. Immediate testing which would allow you to inform people of positives and isolate them.

Not locking them up though. As we've seen, the general public here will do things to help other people if you ask them and tell them the truth.
Ideally? Yes. Practically? No. You can't trust "people". People suck.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:50 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Ideally we would do what SK or Germany is doing where we have rapid testing everywhere and if you are infected you are quarantined away from everyone, like in a hotel or something. Then they trace all your movements etc to see if there is community spread.

We also need serology testing, therapeutics and hopefully a vaccine but that goes without saying.
What's the population and land mass of both SK and Germany?

Ideally I agree with you.

And FYI, Germany is #4 on the list of total cases.
[Reply]
Donger 09:52 AM 04-07-2020
NY already reporting 731 deaths. To be expected, I guess, but that's horrible.
[Reply]
O.city 09:53 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
There is a lot of people and "experts" trying to have it both ways. On one hand they base a lot of these models and their statements on the data at hand to paint a very dire scenario. Then on the other they say, well we really have no idea how many people REALLY have it and don't have symptoms or are so mild they work through it, etc.

So the logical conclusion is they are both right and wrong. We have to assume that the people serious enough to get their ass to a hospital are legit if they tested positive. But then we also have to assume that there are literally millions of people who have bee exposed and are either not that serious or immune or asymptomatic or whatever term fits your fancy.

So if that is the case then you have to ask yourself are we going too far? My only argument for what is happening right now is to keep hospitals from being overrun and giving time to find suitable treatments.

But this fear or a re-spike in the fall, which we will get and which does admit to a degree that warmer weather will at least temper this a bit, I don't think is enough to justify keeping people locked up for the duration.

We are starting to suffer paralysis by analysis to a degree.
Not necessarily, in that we've seen that there can be some really bad results and some real bad shit can still happen if it's a huge number all at once.

My hope is that we've got a shitload more people that have or do have it and we'll burn thru it faster than we thought.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:53 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
people aren't going to just sit inside for months. It was never realistic. A complete lockdown of indefinite duration had the staying power of a fart in a hurricane.

Yes, people are going back out. They were ALWAYS going to go back out. Which was why a staggered and measured approach was always preferable in areas where it was feasible.

So, y'know, 80% of the country.

The heavy-handed and poorly-tailored response to this will create significant problems as we progress. And the public response will be less and less robust. And in the end, we'll be as bad or worse off for it and over a much longer timeline.
I totally agree but just getting groceries this morning & picking up medicine from Walgreens, it was very very obvious that Jeff City believes it’s over.

I was afraid this would happen as most around here could care less about NYC & think that’s a foreign country. I don’t think it is even the number one issue around these parts...yet!
[Reply]
O.city 09:53 AM 04-07-2020

Germany has tested a fuckload of people IIRC.
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:54 AM 04-07-2020

that is why I said ideally and let's be honest it won't ever happen here so we just need to wait for therapeutics and a vaccine until then it is going to be start and stop so people better get used to that.
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:56 AM 04-07-2020
There is a lot of people and "experts" trying to have it both ways. On one hand they base a lot of these models and their statements on the data at hand to paint a very dire scenario. Then on the other they say, well we really have no idea how many people REALLY have it and don't have symptoms or are so mild they work through it, etc.

So the logical conclusion is they are both right and wrong. We have to assume that the people serious enough to get their ass to a hospital are legit if they tested positive. But then we also have to assume that there are literally millions of people who have bee exposed and are either not that serious or immune or asymptomatic or whatever term fits your fancy.

So if that is the case then you have to ask yourself are we going too far? My only argument for what is happening right now is to keep hospitals from being overrun and giving time to find suitable treatments.

But this fear or a re-spike in the fall, which we will get and which does admit to a degree that warmer weather will at least temper this a bit, I don't think is enough to justify keeping people locked up for the duration.

We are starting to suffer paralysis by analysis to a degree.
there are 180 to 195 people dying in NY in their houses every day that aren’t even getting tested.

The numbers don’t really mean much
[Reply]
BleedingRed 09:57 AM 04-07-2020
Germany has tested a ****load of people IIRC.
Sure but this per million test rate comparing is retarded. Always had been, if the United States and Germany had both only tested one person each Germany would still be ahead by that metric.

Also that means Germany has more confirmed cases per a million.

It's a dumb shift after testing numbers for the US Sky rocketed.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:58 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
I totally agree but just getting groceries this morning & picking up medicine from Walgreens, it was very very obvious that Jeff City believes it’s over.

I was afraid this would happen as most around here could care less about NYC & think that’s a foreign country. I don’t think it is even the number one issue around these parts...yet!
Before you feel too bad - just remember that NYC couldn't care less about Jefferson City either.

Flyover country exists for comedy fodder and little else to the vast majority of that region.
[Reply]
O.city 10:01 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Sure but this per million test rate comparing is retarded. Always had been, if the United States and Germany had both only tested one person each Germany would still be ahead by that metric.

Also that means Germany has more confirmed cases per a million.

It's a dumb shift after testing numbers for the US Sky rocketed.
Germany has done a great job with this thing. Thats not really debatable is it?
[Reply]
Donger 10:01 AM 04-07-2020
Germany has tested a ****load of people IIRC.
11,046 tests per million pop.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:03 AM 04-07-2020
Germany has done a great job with this thing. Thats not really debatable is it?
sure they have, they I would say have done the best followed by US followed by South Korea.

We have tested 2 million people in 31 days. And that rate has accelerated.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:03 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Before you feel too bad - just remember that NYC couldn't care less about Jefferson City either.

Flyover country exists for comedy fodder and little else to the vast majority of that region.
Once more with feeling
[Reply]
Page 1186 of 3903
« First < 18668610861136117611821183118411851186 118711881189119011961236128616862186 > Last »
Up