ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 6
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Riding/Zero Turn Mowers
blake5676 08:00 AM 10-08-2020
Anyone have strong opinions on best brand, new/used, deck width, etc? We're a few weeks from finishing up building our new house. It's on slightly less than two acres so I'll be needing to get a new mower.

Zero turns look like a hell of a lot of fun, so I'm inclined to go that route. I've heard multiple people throughout the years say things like "just don't go buying one from HD, Lowe's, Menards" and to buy one from a reputable dealer.

Would like to stay somewhere between $2-5k and don't have a terribly strong preference on whether I buy new or used, but any suggestions from the CP hive on your experiences or advice on what to stay away from?
[Reply]
Kman34 08:05 AM 10-08-2020

Worldlawn 52” is what I use... Never had any problems...
[Reply]
Dayze 08:10 AM 10-08-2020
this winter / spring, i'm looking for a rider. my body can't handle push mowing nearly 10k sq ft multiple times a week in the spring; and in the dead heat of summer any more. in the summer, I'm completely wiped out the rest of the day after mowing. knees and feet ache etc. Getting old is awesome.

I really like a 42" ZT mower; but I also want to be able to pull a small garden/yard cart (for when I have to move bags of mulch from the garage to the back yard, soil, etc); be able to pull a aerator, dethatcher and yard sweeper. from what I've read ZT aren't really designed for that? I don't need it to pull a thousand pounds or anything. making 50 to and from trips from the front to the back walking with a bag of mulch each time sucks.

So i'm bouncing back and forth between a ZT and a regular tractor/mower.
[Reply]
Holladay 08:14 AM 10-08-2020
There are a lot of quality mowers in that price range. Each person who has had a good experience with their mower will make their suggestion.

For instance, I own a 54" Land Pride. It is a Gravelly knock off. Run great etc.

As to deck size, when I plant trees, they are 60" apart. When I borrowed a 60" grasshopper, I couldn't get between the trees.

In the end, I test drove a lot of mowers. You need to form a relationship with a dealer as well.

This is the perfect time to get a deal on a mower. They don't want to sit on inventory over the winter.
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 08:51 AM 10-08-2020
I’m don’t know much about brands but Bishops in Perryville ks.
[Reply]
blake5676 08:55 AM 10-08-2020
Appreciate the responses so far. I have a completely flat back yard, it's actually about the size of a football field. But the front has some decent sloped hills. Not sure if that makes a difference in anyone's suggestion in regards to riding vs ZT?
[Reply]
TribalElder 08:57 AM 10-08-2020
I've been researching these and am interested in hearing opinions

I've seen quite a few different ones
John Deere - although comfortable ride quite expensive
Bad Boy - they make a solid zero turn
Gravely makes some
Wright seem to be solid
Kubota,
cub cadet,
toro
hustler

the one I'm currently fixated on is the SCAG
[Reply]
kepp 08:59 AM 10-08-2020
I have a 52" Hustler Raptor and it does fine. If I had to do it over, I would probably look for a comparably priced used, professional quality ZT. But mine does fine.
[Reply]
TribalElder 08:59 AM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by blake5676:
Appreciate the responses so far. I have a completely flat back yard, it's actually about the size of a football field. But the front has some decent sloped hills. Not sure if that makes a difference in anyone's suggestion in regards to riding vs ZT?
I have a riding mower now with a 48" cut and a top speed of 4.5 mph

in comparison I've been looking at a zero turn that is 61" and does 12 mph

that time savings could cut my mowing time in half or better (5-6 acres)
[Reply]
LoneWolf 09:21 AM 10-08-2020
I bought a 48" ZT Kubota this year and it has been a solid purchase. They run a little higher than some brands, but their customer service is second to none. When I bought it the salesman delivered it, went over all of the features and how to operate the mower, and then he mowed the hilly part of my lawn to make sure the mower would perform as advertised.
[Reply]
Graystoke 09:23 AM 10-08-2020
I have a Hustler 52" ZT. I love it but beware.
ZT mowers have a couple of downfalls in my opinion.
1) Unstable as shit on slopes. And my slopes are near a lake and I've had some close calls.
2) ZT mowers have a tendency to tear up turf, especially when moist
[Reply]
MagicHef 09:25 AM 10-08-2020
I had 2 acres in TX with many trees, slopes, etc. I was also dirt poor so I went out and bought the cheapest used zero turn mower I could off craigslist, one of these:

I probably paid $100 for it , and that thing was awesome.
[Reply]
Graystoke 09:27 AM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
I had 2 acres in TX with many trees, slopes, etc. I was also dirt poor so I went out and bought the cheapest used zero turn mower I could off craigslist, one of these:

No offense, but that doesn't look like a ZT
[Reply]
Kman34 09:28 AM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by MagicHef:

Not trying to be picky but that’s not a Zero turn...
[Reply]
morphius 09:30 AM 10-08-2020
Just beware of steep inclines with trees or cliffs. My fathers lake house is a "joy" to mow
[Reply]
Page 1 of 6
1 2345 > Last »
Up