ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Nzoner's Game Room>Riding/Zero Turn Mowers
blake5676 08:00 AM 10-08-2020
Anyone have strong opinions on best brand, new/used, deck width, etc? We're a few weeks from finishing up building our new house. It's on slightly less than two acres so I'll be needing to get a new mower.

Zero turns look like a hell of a lot of fun, so I'm inclined to go that route. I've heard multiple people throughout the years say things like "just don't go buying one from HD, Lowe's, Menards" and to buy one from a reputable dealer.

Would like to stay somewhere between $2-5k and don't have a terribly strong preference on whether I buy new or used, but any suggestions from the CP hive on your experiences or advice on what to stay away from?
[Reply]
Holladay 05:01 PM 02-28-2021
Originally Posted by :
MTD is a piece of junk
It all depends on the application. If I was to mow a smallish residential lawn with perfect drainage, slope, no roots, moles, brome grass invading, dog holes trying to find said moles, pull 55 gal lawn rollers, aerators, de-thatchers, sprayers all over un-even ground (did I mention moles), YES, a normal mower would be fine. MTD or not.

I had a Cub Garden mower for years. Still got the crap beat out of it, but it lasted 10 years.

It is all situational is all I am saying.

Perfect mowing environment, I would not have a push mower. A small JD or MTD would be fine. Then I would go to the gym:-)

I use mine as a small tractor. I fill up the wagon with fire wood, move garden hoses, chain saws and fuel, transport 1 ton of top soil to fill in the dog holes that they made to find the moles (did I mention moles suck). Heck, I had the cops SWAT team me. I ran an old Honda Accord in the front yard with the exhaust pipe down a mole hole. They got a call that a suspicious vehicle was running for 3 hours in a front yard. Again, all situational.

Also, I would never go back to the standard mower. The zero saves so much time.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 07:25 PM 02-28-2021
Dixie Choppers were at one time very popular. Textron ****ed that up a couple of years back. They are back with new owners being built in IL.

I had a Simplicity/ Deutz 1718gt garden tractor with Kohler 17HP and Eaton Hydro . It was a fine machine. I had it for almost 25 years (bought new) and the only repairs were caused by my abusing it. It had a bagger, snow/dozer blade, trailer, and a 30 tiller.

I had one of these too. 1989 Ford YT16 water cooled diesel. l would buy one of these again, in a heartbeat, but I do not own any mowing equipment. Change fluids and air the tires and it will go forever.

Originally Posted by srvy:
See a lot of Hustler mowers in KC area landscape crews. Used to see almost exclusive Grasshopper now it's a mix of Hustler and Gravely and then the rest.

[Reply]
Holladay 09:07 PM 02-28-2021
That Ford brings back memories. I traded in that Craftsman for $1k and bought one of those Fords (~1976 model). It was a tank. Hydrostat Hi and Low gear range with garden tires, fluid in the tires and wheel weights, dude went everywhere. My wife dicked up her back on a horse riding event and that thing rode like a Model T, wasted her back, thus traded in for the Cub Garden Tractor.

Wish I still had that Ford though.
[Reply]
R8RFAN 05:35 AM 03-01-2021
well I don't really have a strong opinion but I bought a Toro with the Kohler Courage about 6 years ago at the Homo Depot for like 2300 bucks , it's kept in the garage and I have done nothing to it but put gas in it and change the oil and bought new blades for it. I plan to get a commercial grade when it wears out but at this time it shows no sign of slowing down.
[Reply]
Dayze 08:30 AM 03-01-2021
ended up deciding on the Cub XT2 Enduro series; also bought the tow behind utility dump cart w/ folding sides; and a rear bagging system.

an unexpected purchase was a snow blower. I was looking at them while the guy was gettting some paper work ready and he said "if you're interested in a snow blower, I'll make you a hell of a deal; I'll sell that at cost". I guess they needed to get the blowers out of the way in the show room, and he didn't want to store them (supposedly). anyway, got the 2X for 300 less than retail.

dude also knocked off $200 from the XT. He also shaved off $50 each for the bagger and cart if I was willing to put it together myself. which, of course I would be to save $100.
expensive day, but worth it. I feel so relieved I do'nt have to push this lawn anymore. supposed to have everything delivered today.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 10:52 AM 03-01-2021
What model? engine?

Self contained snow blower? or front mount? width?

Bagger with blower? Price the bags and you will know why you should always line them with trash bags.

The nice part about new toys is the new toys the new toys get like mulching kits and lawn striping kits. Wheel weights. or even branded mittens :-):-)

When I bought my Deutz Allis the dealer, on Johnson Dr., transferred a tractor and blower from a new dealer, on 23rd St, and got the discounted, "new dealer, grand opening deal" and sold them to me for less than cost if he would have ordered or stocked the tractor. (vs std. pricing plus no shipping) It was a great deal and everyone made money except for the new dealer who could have made bank if he sold them.
:-)

They floor plan (finance) their stock and they hate paying the interest, any interest, during the winter, so deals can be made at end of season.

Originally Posted by Dayze:
ended up deciding on the Cub XT2 Enduro series; also bought the tow behind utility dump cart w/ folding sides; and a rear bagging system.

an unexpected purchase was a snow blower. I was looking at them while the guy was gettting some paper work ready and he said "if you're interested in a snow blower, I'll make you a hell of a deal; I'll sell that at cost". I guess they needed to get the blowers out of the way in the show room, and he didn't want to store them (supposedly). anyway, got the 2X for 300 less than retail.

dude also knocked off $200 from the XT. He also shaved off $50 each for the bagger and cart if I was willing to put it together myself. which, of course I would be to save $100.
expensive day, but worth it. I feel so relieved I do'nt have to push this lawn anymore. supposed to have everything delivered today.

[Reply]
Dayze 11:13 AM 03-01-2021
on the mower engine is a 18HP Kawasaki twin. I meant I got the 2 bagger system for the mower; I might have typo'd that earlier..

BLower i got for 600.
Cub Cadet 2X 24" 243cc Snowthrower

[Reply]
cooper barrett 11:21 AM 03-01-2021
So it's a 42" cut?

See edit above?
[Reply]
Dayze 11:43 AM 03-01-2021
correct; 42" cut with fabricated deck.

and that's the cart I got as well. but I did not get the attachemnt for the cart that collect leaves (I think theh call it a leaf collection system? ). i'm gonna see if the regular grass rear 2 bagger will suffice for my yard. might only have to empty once or twice for my yard. we'll see. since I have to set out bags at the curb for the city to pick up and I don't have a compost pile etc.

I thought about getting one of those drag behind leaf bag things, and haul it to the compost place down the road a bit. but I'm gonna see if the bagger can do it first,.

going to order a tow behind lawn sweeper too. just for those instances where I might need / want to pick up stuff, but don't necessarily want to put the bagger on . I think the bgager will be used mostly in the spring when sometimes grass can get a bit tall to mulch; and in the fall.

gonna be nice going from a 21" push to a 42" rider :-). and when I dethach, instead of raking it all up; just tow the sweeper behind and call it good. (or bagger).
[Reply]
cooper barrett 12:20 PM 03-01-2021
A system like this is the way to go. when you don't want to bag you just remove the tube and hang it so the grass clipping just blow out the back.

You will learn that more often is the only rule(s) you need to know.

Mow more often, gather leaves more often. Just never mow "Moist" grass....

Install a fuel filter and a shut off valve, and buy ethanol free fuel....
[Reply]
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Up