ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 12
« First < 45678 9101112 >
Media Center>Anyone build anything lately
Perineum Ripper 02:21 PM 09-05-2020
Since the world has been going to shit, thought I would see if anyone has built anything recently.

With the upcoming release of the 3000 GPUs, I might have to build one. Wife is also about to start a new business, and we will need a bigger better computer anyway.
[Reply]
jd1020 10:19 AM 11-13-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
I have an AIO water cooler for the CPU and I don't think it's worth the money as far the performance go. It looks cleaner as a build and is a little quieter, but I don't think I would go that route again.
I've been telling people on here for years that AIOs arent worth the expense. Some AIOs dont even cool better than a quality air cooler and the good AIOs MAYBE only gain you a couple celcius. Yet you are paying a lot more money for an AIO, sometimes more than double depending on what air cooler you choose, and all for something that has a pump that can fail, and radiators and tubings that can leak. The only part thats going to fail on an air cooler is the fan which can also fail on the AIOs.

Unless you are going for looks or have a need for a small profile cooler on top of the cpu in a htpc/mini pc build, air coolers all day.

The test results on this little guy https://www.amazon.com/Mugen-Rev-CPU.../dp/B06ZYB8K77 are ridiculous for the price.
[Reply]
vailpass 11:05 AM 11-13-2020
Originally Posted by jd1020:
I've been telling people for here on years that AIOs arent worth the expense. Some AIOs dont even cool better than a quality air cooler and the good AIOs MAYBE only gain you a couple celcius. Yet you are paying a lot more money for an AIO, sometimes more than double depending on what air cooler you choose, and all for something that has a pump that can fail, and radiators and tubings that can leak. The only part thats going to fail on an air cooler is the fan which can also fail on the AIOs.

Unless you are going for looks or have a need for a small profile cooler on top of the cpu in a htpc/mini pc build, air coolers all day.

The test results on this little guy https://www.amazon.com/Mugen-Rev-CPU.../dp/B06ZYB8K77 are ridiculous for the price.
I’ve never used a water cooler. Earlier this year when I was going to do a build (glad I waited) the cooler you link here was the one I was going to use. The build I ordered this week has a water cooler so I’ll be finding out what that’s like for the first time.
[Reply]
vailpass 09:28 PM 11-18-2020
*UPDATE*

The prebuilt arrived over the weekend. First off, that 3080 card is an absolute tank. It’s a foot long and very heavy. I don’t know that it should ever be shipped already installed in the pci e slot.

The thing didn’t post. I hooked it up, got a “no display port signal detected” message on the monitor. The mobo had a vga error light so it was the gpu. I pulled that beast of a card and reinstalled to make sure it was seated. No go.

I chatted with NZXT, they offered to RMA and get it going. At first I agreed as there are no 3080 cards available right now so I wanted to keep this one. But in the end, I just couldn’t live with spending $2300 on something I wasn’t absolutely thrilled with. So I’m sending it back tomorrow for a full refund.

I tried the rebuild route, now I’m going back to what I know. I’ve built three rigs on my own, none failed to post, and years later all three are still going strong. So I’m back on the hunt for parts in a market that is so much tougher than any I’ve been in before. And I can feel the old excitement for the build coming back. Game on.
[Reply]
Pants 09:48 PM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
*UPDATE*

The prebuilt arrived over the weekend. First off, that 3080 card is an absolute tank. It’s a foot long and very heavy. I don’t know that it should ever be shipped already installed in the pci e slot.

The thing didn’t post. I hooked it up, got a “no display port signal detected” message on the monitor. The mobo had a vga error light so it was the gpu. I pulled that beast of a card and reinstalled to make sure it was seated. No go.

I chatted with NZXT, they offered to RMA and get it going. At first I agreed as there are no 3080 cards available right now so I wanted to keep this one. But in the end, I just couldn’t live with spending $2300 on something I wasn’t absolutely thrilled with. So I’m sending it back tomorrow for a full refund.

I tried the rebuild route, now I’m going back to what I know. I’ve built three rigs on my own, none failed to post, and years later all three are still going strong. So I’m back on the hunt for parts in a market that is so much tougher than any I’ve been in before. And I can feel the old excitement for the build coming back. Game on.
Dang, man. That is tough luck. I'm sorry. :-)
[Reply]
vailpass 10:16 PM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
Dang, man. That is tough luck. I'm sorry. :-)
Thanks. Fuck it, I’m over it. Like a couple days after you break up with a girl and remember you are now free to hunt again.

Thinking about considering going AMD for the first time ever. Big Navi looks promising though they still can’t ray trace like Nvid. But I’m definitely on the prowl for a 3080. There’s over a month still before Christmas.
[Reply]
Pants 10:19 PM 11-18-2020
Thanks. Fuck it, I’m over it. Like a couple days after you break up with a girl and remember you are now free to hunt again.

Thinking about considering going AMD for the first time ever. Big Navi looks promising though they still can’t ray trace like Nvid. But I’m definitely on the prowl for a 3080. There’s over a month still before Christmas.
The benchmarks for Big Navi are eye-opening for sure. Can't go wrong with either one.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 10:37 PM 11-18-2020

I would shop for a 30 or the new 68 and whichever I found first would be my direction for the build. Both cars series preform so well that you can’t really pick wrong.
[Reply]
vailpass 01:08 PM 11-19-2020
Originally Posted by mac459:
I would shop for a 30 or the new 68 and whichever I found first would be my direction for the build. Both cars series preform so well that you can’t really pick wrong.
Good input, that's how I'm leaning right now on the card. Giving up Intel cpu for AMD is probably not going to happen for me though.
[Reply]
Fish 02:14 PM 11-19-2020
Good input, that's how I'm leaning right now on the card. Giving up Intel cpu for AMD is probably not going to happen for me though.
I strongly considered switching from Intel to AMD CPU on my last upgrade because I thought it would be reasonably cheaper and I'd get more cores. But when I priced it out, I didn't find AMD to be much cheaper at all. Ended up going with Intel and I'm glad I did because it's running like a beast. Overclocked my 3.7Ghz Intel CPU to 5.0Ghz, and it's been rock solid stable and maintaining great temps. Way outperforming the AMD I was considering at the same price point.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:23 PM 11-19-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
I strongly considered switching from Intel to AMD CPU on my last upgrade because I thought it would be reasonably cheaper and I'd get more cores. But when I priced it out, I didn't find AMD to be much cheaper at all. Ended up going with Intel and I'm glad I did because it's running like a beast. Overclocked my 3.7Ghz Intel CPU to 5.0Ghz, and it's been rock solid stable and maintaining great temps. Way outperforming the AMD I was considering at the same price point.
:-) Good input. 'Ware the AMD fanboi mob, lest they find ye and taunt ye a second time.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:24 PM 11-19-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
If you're want to OC and max out, AMD is not a great option. It can be done but they're just not that kind of chip. If you want out of the box performance, especially in an integrated chip, they're awesome.

But for a power OC setup, Intel is really it.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:27 PM 11-19-2020
Man I run my desktop on wifi, with the way my house is I have limitations on a wired setup.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:31 PM 11-19-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Man I run my desktop on wifi, with the way my house is I have limitations on a wired setup.
Yeah, that's not ideal. Devices that don't move should have wires. :-)
[Reply]
Mecca 02:58 PM 11-19-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Yeah, that's not ideal. Devices that don't move should have wires. :-)
Well unless I want to run a 400 ft cable up a 25 ft ceiling, it's a problem.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 02:58 PM 11-19-2020
Anyone have experiences with an external GPU setup? I have a decent gaming laptop with a 1060 6G, and 8th gen intel processor. Just torn between doing a new build and selling the laptop or frankensteining it to an external GPU.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 12
« First < 45678 9101112 >
Up