ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2591 of 3903
« First < 1591209124912541258125872588258925902591 259225932594259526012641269130913591 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
O.city 07:50 AM 07-14-2020
So with looking at that Sweden graph and then their cases looking similar, it begs the question, why do all these disease curves seem to look the same no matter what course the country takes?
[Reply]
Donger 07:52 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
So with looking at that Sweden graph and then their cases looking similar, it begs the question, why do all these disease curves seem to look the same no matter what course the country takes?
I take it you are leaving out ours?
[Reply]
dirk digler 07:53 AM 07-14-2020

Well except for us :-) :-):-)
[Reply]
O.city 08:07 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Well except for us :-) :-):-)
We're a little different in terms of the size and such.

If you break us down similarly to countries as states and such, it looks similar. Look at New York, New Jersey etc.

They look identical to those other countries.

The places here that are spiking now are just going thru the same things those other countries did just at different times.
[Reply]
Donger 08:12 AM 07-14-2020

If you break us down similarly to countries as states and such, it looks similar. Look at New York, New Jersey etc.

The places here that are spiking now are just going thru the same things those other countries did just at different times.
New York locked down (eventually) and had/has a phased plan for re-opening, which they are actually following.

I don't see any other country that looks like us. We did a pretty good job of slowing new case growth, then plateaued around 25,000 a day, reopened and we are seeing increases in ~35 states.
[Reply]
O.city 08:14 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
New York locked down (eventually) and had/has a phased plan for re-opening, which they are actually following.
And Sweden didn't. Why does their graphs look the same?

They also had the same protesting and wild shit happening in New York that everywhere else has and haven't had similar spikes, so it's likely they're at a point of immunity.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:17 AM 07-14-2020

My guess would be that formal rules can only go so far. A ton relies on people taking it seriously and social distancing on their own. Looking at Sweden's mobility reports on Google, they're nearly identical to the U.S. for example, though they have less of a drop in retail than we did.

All that said, Sweden is still even worse than the U.S. in per-capita deaths (7th worst in the world), so until they show they can keep it down, I'm hesitant to say that it's a victory. There are plenty of countries in the world (including their neighbors) that have had minimal deaths for a while now. Hell, Sweden has had as many deaths in the past month as Norway has had since the beginning, and that's only looking at the period where Sweden seemingly "has things under control."
[Reply]
Donger 08:17 AM 07-14-2020
And Sweden didn't. Why does their graphs look the same?

They also had the same protesting and wild shit happening in New York that everywhere else has and haven't had similar spikes, so it's likely they're at a point of immunity.
It's not accurate that they didn't do any mitigation. They did.

I was also reading this earlier:

Swedish Covid Infections Drop After Steady Distancing Patterns

The rate of Covid-19 infections is declining in Sweden, which health authorities said is thanks to citizens voluntarily adhering to social distancing guidelines.

Johan Carlson, the director general of Sweden’s public health agency, said the latest official data show that overall contagion rates are “trending down” and the “number of patients in intensive care is also declining.”

Speaking at a briefing in Stockholm on Tuesday, Carlson said that the decline in infection rates “is an effect of us keeping up the social distancing.”

The development follows months of controversy over Sweden’s decision to avoid a proper lockdown, and instead rely on its citizens to follow distancing guidelines. But the country’s mortality rate remains well above levels in the rest of Scandinavia, with more than 10 times as many Covid-19 deaths as in neighboring Norway, per 100,000.

nders Tegnell, Sweden’s state epidemiologist, has maintained that his strategy will prove more sustainable in the long run than the sudden lockdowns and reopenings adopted elsewhere. That’s as some places, such as Beijing, that had appeared to bring the virus under control recently saw fresh outbreaks.

“Part of the reason for Sweden’s less stringent approach was the view that restrictions would need to be in place for some time, and there were doubts about whether society would be compliant with stricter measures over a long period,” said Johanna Jeansson of Bloomberg Economics.
Immunity

Sweden’s overall response to the virus has potentially left more people exposed to it, raising questions about herd immunity. But the data have so far been mixed. In a study published in June, the Public Health Agency found that antibodies were only found in 6.1% of the samples collected nationwide in the week ending May 24.

An earlier analysis of 50,000 tests by Werlabs AB, a private company, showed that about 14% of people tested over six weeks in the Stockholm region developed Covid-19 antibodies.

Carlson said that “immunity could definitely be playing a part in areas where we’ve had contagion, and that might impact the overall result.”

Ironically, basic social distancing requirements in Sweden are now stricter than in many other countries. That’s because places like Denmark and Norway have rolled back the severe lockdowns they imposed early on to fight Covid-19.

The stringency of Swedish requirements according to the Oxford Covid-19 Government Response Tracker shows the country now places greater restrictions on movement than Norway and Finland.

“Sweden’s approach has been widely misrepresented as doing nothing. It’s not,” said William Hanage, associate professor of epidemiology at Harvard’s School of Public Health in Boston. Though the death rate, especially among the elderly in nursing homes, has been very high, ultimately, “Sweden’s approach may be sustainable in ways other countries’ have not proven to be,” he said.

Jeansson of Bloomberg Economics says Swedes aren’t likely to return to normal life any time soon, amid concerns over the virus.

“Restrictions are likely to keep a lid on demand in Sweden through at least the third quarter,” she said. “After that, we still expect social distancing will hamper activity, probably until there’s a vaccine.”
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:17 AM 07-14-2020

If you look at other countries, they had the initial infection then spike then gradual crawl down.

If you look at our individual states, most have had Covid since February-March and just now some of seriously spiking. Texas first confirmed case was Mar 5.

Florida's first 2 cases were March 1. NY's first case was also March 1.

Now 4 months later they are spiking so something caused that.
[Reply]
O.city 08:20 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
My guess would be that formal rules can only go so far. A ton relies on people taking it seriously and social distancing on their own. Looking at Sweden's mobility reports on Google, they're nearly identical to the U.S. for example, though they have less of a drop in retail than we did.

All that said, Sweden is still even worse than the U.S. in per-capita deaths (7th worst in the world), so until they show they can keep it down, I'm hesitant to say that it's a victory. There are plenty of countries in the world (including their neighbors) that have had minimal deaths for a while now. Hell, Sweden has had as many deaths in the past month as Norway has had since the beginning, and that's only looking at the period where Sweden seemingly "has things under control."
For sure. But we know those countries can't keep locked down forever. So now that they're opening back up, whats likely to happen?

That was Swedens philosophy the whole time. They played the long game.

They weren't wide open business as usual for sure as Donger just posted, but they realized what alot of these other countries are starting to.
[Reply]
O.city 08:21 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
If you look at other countries, they had the initial infection then spike then gradual crawl down.

If you look at our individual states, most have had Covid since February-March and just now some of seriously spiking. Texas first confirmed case was Mar 5.

Florida's first 2 cases were March 1. NY's first case was also March 1.

Now 4 months later they are spiking so something caused that.
It takes quite a few sparks to get a fire going normally in these things. Chains die out and don't take off etc.

Once we started mass testing in these places we started finding these huge spikes. I'm guessing some of them were there before we shined a flash light on it.
[Reply]
tooge 08:22 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
That’s a good question. I had a positive swab in May but no symptoms. I’m inconclusive on antibodies 6 weeks later. Maybe it was a false positive?

I’ve never had a sinus infection in my life. I’ve also never completely lost my taste and smell. It’s incredibly weird. I was drinking hot sauce and couldn’t even tell.
You should be able to tell when its time to take a shit
[Reply]
O.city 08:24 AM 07-14-2020
Look at Australia right now. Everyone thought they had it whooped. They're an island etc.

Now they're having an outbreak in Melbourne and are looking at locking back down.

It's starting to look obvious to me that you can't run from this thing. So either you lock it down, permanently until we have tools to stop it, or you do your best to funnel it
[Reply]
DaFace 08:25 AM 07-14-2020
For sure. But we know those countries can't keep locked down forever. So now that they're opening back up, whats likely to happen?

That was Swedens philosophy the whole time. They played the long game.

They weren't wide open business as usual for sure as Donger just posted, but they realized what alot of these other countries are starting to.
I think you're romanticizing Sweden a bit here. Norway is more open than Sweden at this point.
[Reply]
Donger 08:28 AM 07-14-2020
Look at Australia right now. Everyone thought they had it whooped. They're an island etc.

Now they're having an outbreak in Melbourne and are looking at locking back down.

It's starting to look obvious to me that you can't run from this thing. So either you lock it down, permanently until we have tools to stop it, or you do your best to funnel it
The Rydges on Swanston hotel in Melbourne, Australia, photographed on Tuesday. The hotel is one of the sources of Melbourne's coronavirus outbreaks after it was used to accommodate returning overseas travelers for a 14-day quarantine period.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...covid-19-cases

Qantas cancels all international flights until March 2021

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12348043
[Reply]
Page 2591 of 3903
« First < 1591209124912541258125872588258925902591 259225932594259526012641269130913591 > Last »
Up