ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Defense is better without Jones?
JakeF 02:06 PM 10-19-2019
Denver's offensive line is weak so all of this is wait and see but we definitely seem to have a more structured Defense without Jones. Jones' talent is undeniable but his play has a serious flaw. He abandons the run to attack the QB.

With Jones gone, we have 2 bigger guys in the middle who play the run 1st. They also protect our linebackers who are freed up to read and attack. With the center of our defense now anchored, the outside guys (clark,ogbah, okafor) can be more aggressive. It also keeps the middle of the field clear for our safeties.

That's what seemed to change for our defense against Denver.

Hitchens played his best game and Ragland showed up like he never has before. Frank Clark was better and Matheiu was more aggressive.

Having DT's that protect your LBs is so important. I would rather have Clark,Okafor and Ogbah getting sacks than Jones.

I think Hitchens and Ragland can even start getting some sacks without guards in their face on every play.

:-)
[Reply]
dlphg9 02:48 PM 10-19-2019
Seriously you all realize he didn't play against the Texans and they had the most points, the most total yards, and the 2nd most rushing yards that we have allowed all, season. You can't just pick one game where the D was good and decide "wow, our D must be better without Jones!" especially since the first game he missed was our worst defensive performance. Cuz I can find that he played in that our D performed almost just as well. Maybe it has more to do with the opponent, then it does with Jones being out. Flacco is the absolute worst starter in the NFL, so we stacked the box. That allowed an extra run defender. Seriously how are some of you so dumb?
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 02:49 PM 10-19-2019
Were they better last week?

Shut the fuck up. This board's hatred of Chris Jones is fucking retarded.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 02:50 PM 10-19-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I don't think either of your characterizations are quite accurate.

I don't think anyone is saying we're better without Jones, just that the ONE real dominant performance showed 11 guys all maintaining their responisibilities and so were successful. Jones is known for not doing that a fair amount.

I think we all would prefer if Jones were healthy, in the line-up, and not freelancing.

Big man needs to stay in his lane.
Known by alleged know-it-alls at Chiefsplanet.

Color me skeptical of Chris jones never being double teamed and always running out of his gap. It's horse-shit nonsense and has been since the start. He's not just out there doing whatever he wants. That's ****ing narrative that exists on this site and this site alone because people wanted to scapegoat someone.

Meanwhile this site was sucking Damien Wilson's cock and subbing in Ragland (a figure loathed on the planet) for him made a far bigger impact. Someone who was getting DOWNHILL in the running game instead if sitting back in his gap playing the waiting game.

Stop with the mental gymnastics to support the chosen narrative, and let'st just settle ****ing down after 1 good game from the defense. They're going to have to step up HUGE in the next month.
[Reply]
Easy 6 02:51 PM 10-19-2019
Better against the run?

Maybe

But I’m still not ready to pull the plug on Sacksquatch, hoping he’ll eventually buy in to a less selfish style of play
[Reply]
wazu 02:51 PM 10-19-2019
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Seriously you all realize he didn't play against the Texans and they had the most points, the most total yards, and the 2nd most rushing yards that we have allowed all, season. You can't just pick one game where the D was good and decide "wow, our D must be better without Jones!" especially since the first game he missed was our worst defensive performance. Cuz I can find that he played in that our D performed almost just as well. Maybe it has more to do with the opponent, then it does with Jones being out. Flacco is the absolute worst starter in the NFL, so we stacked the box. That allowed an extra run defender. Seriously how are some of you so dumb?
So maybe it took them a game to adjust. Maybe the truth lies somewhere in the middle. We definitely need to see it again against better competition before drawing any real conclusions, but it's definitely something worth tracking.
[Reply]
wazu 02:53 PM 10-19-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Were they better last week?

Shut the fuck up. This board's hatred of Chris Jones is fucking retarded.
Chris Jones is one of my favorite players. If Mahomes wasn't on the team I'd probably have a Chris Jones jersey. But this defense looked pretty bad until last night, so it's fair to analyze what things we did differently, including who was playing where.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:56 PM 10-19-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Known by alleged know-it-alls at Chiefsplanet.

Color me skeptical of Chris jones never being double teamed and always running out of his gap. It's horse-shit nonsense and has been since the start. He's not just out there doing whatever he wants. That's ****ing narrative that exists on this site and this site alone because people wanted to scapegoat someone.

Meanwhile this site was sucking Damien Wilson's cock and subbing in Ragland for him made a far bigger impact.
I don't recall anyone saying ALWAYS anything.

But if you didn't see gaping holes right in Jones' spot several times before he left the line-up, I don't know what to tell you. It was pretty glaring.

Of course, nobody was playing well, and there were gaping holes everywhere.
[Reply]
dlphg9 02:56 PM 10-19-2019
I don't think either of your characterizations are quite accurate.

I don't think anyone is saying we're better without Jones, just that the ONE real dominant performance showed 11 guys all maintaining their responisibilities and so were successful. Jones is known for not doing that a fair amount.

I think we all would prefer if Jones were healthy, in the line-up, and not freelancing.

Big man needs to stay in his lane.
At least half of the initial replies and the OP are saying that the D is better without Jones. Do you not remember the Raiders game?

10 PA, 307 Total Yards, 178 Pass YDs, 129 rush yards, 5 QB hits, 3 Sacks, 2 TOs

I'd consider that pretty dominant. Yeah we had a lot more sacks because Donk line is trash and Joe Flacco takes sacks.

Originally Posted by JakeF:
Denver's offensive line is weak so all of this is wait and see but we definitely seem to have a more structured Defense without Jones. Jones' talent is undeniable but his play has a serious flaw. He abandons the run to attack the QB.

With Jones gone, we have 2 bigger guys in the middle who play the run 1st. They also protect our linebackers who are freed up to read and attack. With the center of our defense now anchored, the outside guys (clark,ogbah, okafor) can be more aggressive. It also keeps the middle of the field clear for our safeties.

That's what seemed to change for our defense against Denver.

Hitchens played his best game and Ragland showed up like he never has before. Frank Clark was better and Matheiu was more aggressive.

Having DT's that protect your LBs is so important. I would rather have Clark,Okafor and Ogbah getting sacks than Jones.

I think Hitchens and Ragland can even start getting some sacks without guards in their face on every play.

:-)
Originally Posted by poolboy:
yes, who would have thunk it?:-)
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
Also not having Darron Lee on the field helped but definitely Saunders and Nnadi we’re splitting double teams all day long. Sticking to their assignments and letting other players like the linebackers make the plays!! Exactly what Mathieu said we needed to do. Jones literally shoots the wrong hole and allows running lanes that a semi can drive through

[Reply]
Buckweath 02:57 PM 10-19-2019
That's kind of a stupid question.

Jones is arguably the Chiefs best defensive player.

The Chiefs defense is obviously better with him.

The guy is an All-Pro. Yeah definitly a stupid question.

I know this a forum but why do people always overreact off of one game.
[Reply]
dlphg9 02:59 PM 10-19-2019
Yep guessing the dumb fucks here forgot all about the Raiders game.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:59 PM 10-19-2019
I think at least half of the overreaction is regarding the mischaracterization that people are somehow saying Jones sucks.

That's not what anyone's saying.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 03:05 PM 10-19-2019
I'm not saying we're better off without Jones. My point is we may be better off without Jones AS A DT IN THE MIDDLE. Because let's be real here, Jones has been a mainstay In the middle of our defense and our run D has been appalling during that time. Saunders was making his first start last week and penalties killed several of the stops the defense made...but this week they looked totally different against the run so we SHOULD all be hopeful that something has changed. IF the run is stopped again next week then imo Jones must be moved to DE.
[Reply]
JakeF 04:06 PM 10-19-2019
Yep guessing the dumb fucks here forgot all about the Raiders game.
You posted the same fucking thing 3 or 4 fucking times. If you don't like the thread then get the fuck out. We already know you don't agree.
[Reply]
JakeF 04:13 PM 10-19-2019
I think at least half of the overreaction is regarding the mischaracterization that people are somehow saying Jones sucks.

That's not what anyone's saying.
I specifically said that Jones was really talented, not that he sucked.

We are talking about whether the defensive system is better without someone going rogue all the time. If the center of your defense breaks down it can create problems everywhere. It allows C/G to get to your LB, it breaks down the entire scheme.

I wonder if Jones wouldn't be better at DE for the Defense as a whole.

If Jones isn't back next week against Packers we'll find out.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 04:18 PM 10-19-2019
The defense was better because they played physical, aggressive, TEAM defense. Every guy busting their ass to do their job. Flacco and Denver didn’t hurt either...

If Jones comes in and does that as well, the defense will be much better as a whole.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up