ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 42 of 324
« First < 323839404142 434445465292142 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
O.city 11:22 PM 01-24-2019
So are we just at “it needed to be someone young and up and coming”?
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:23 PM 01-24-2019
The fact that Richard didn't take a DC position anywhere even though he's easily a top candidate Speaks volumes. Hes not going to leave Dallas unless he's offered a Hc position, assuming Dallas doesn't offer it to him first.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:24 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
These are two completely different things.

Teams trade up for QB’s every year, but you rarely see an offensive minded HC completely hand over one side of the ball to a guy that’s never been a DC and has no history with that HC.
That's literally what the guy you argued about for hours, Adam Gase, did with his last DC
[Reply]
staylor26 11:25 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Why don't you actually go back and read what I wrote instead of constructing a straw man.

He didn't wreck a Ferrari in New York. Great. That means nothing for what he can do in Kansas City. We also know that he can't do anything with lesser talent which he will have here, and that his past successes were in a league that doesn't exist anymore.

Why don't you explain to me what advantages Spagnuolo will bring to the Chiefs with the way he'll coordinate a defense in the modern league. If I'm the one, "bitching just to bitch," you should be able to offer a substantive counterargument as to his bonafides. Otherwise, you're homering just to homer.
Again, I never once said I love this hire or I’m excited about it. I think it was the best realistic option given that Bowles and Wilks were already taken. His scheme is better built to stop spread offenses than Sutton/Ryan’s, he seems to be a better leader/teacher than Sutton from what I’ve seen, and he’s definitely done a better job in big games and against Brady. All I’ve said is that he’s an upgrade, but we still need to get much better personnel wise.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 11:25 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
I think this has been the plan for a while. The draft last year makes a hell of a lot more sense if they’re playing the 43 under I think.

Hopefully
Maybe
Maybe the plan was to replace Sutton with Spagnuolo last year but he'd just had enough after dealing with the McAdoo bullshit and wanted a year without stress?
[Reply]
Mecca 11:26 PM 01-24-2019
So are we just at “it needed to be someone young and up and coming”?
It's always more exciting.
[Reply]
O.city 11:27 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Maybe the plan was to replace Sutton with Spagnuolo last year but he'd just had enough after dealing with the McAdoo bullshit and wanted a year without stress?
I was wondering that

Just seems weird and last years draft just didn’t make a whole lot of sense

It does now, especially with speaks and dod
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 11:28 PM 01-24-2019
I was wondering that

Just seems weird and last years draft just didn’t make a whole lot of sense

It does now, especially with speaks and dod
I don't think it was pure coincidence that we had interest in Collins and Jenkins at the trade deadline.
[Reply]
ChiefoftheKeyboard 11:29 PM 01-24-2019
He pretty much is a DC. It would've been a lateral move, already has playcalling duties.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:30 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
That's literally what the guy you argued about for hours, Adam Gase, did with his last DC
I said it’s very rare. I didn’t say it hasn’t happened at all.

Take a look around the NFL. Look at all of the DC hires this year. Do you see a trend when it comes to DC’s? It’s pretty obvious.
[Reply]
ChiefoftheKeyboard 11:30 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
I don't think it was pure coincidence that we had interest in Collins and Jenkins at the trade deadline.
I agree. I want collins in KC bad.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:36 PM 01-24-2019
Again, I never once said I love this hire or I’m excited about it. I think it was the best realistic option given that Bowles and Wilks were already taken. His scheme is better built to stop spread offenses than Sutton/Ryan’s, he seems to be a better leader/teacher than Sutton from what I’ve seen, and he’s definitely done a better job in big games and against Brady. All I’ve said is that he’s an upgrade, but we still need to get much better personnel wise.
There was a phrase uttered by a wise man who once posted here a lot (and still does, occasionally):

Better than bad does not = good.

There is precious little evidence that his scheme is better suited to stop a spread, especially since you keep conflating his old base defense with the common base defense run in the modern game.

And you know how I know you're just rehashing shit?

Bob Sutton's most common base defense in 2017 was basically the Packers' Nitro Package: 3 S and 3 CB. He wasn't even running the old Rex Ryan D the vast, vast majority of the time.
[Reply]
RealSNR 11:36 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by ChiefoftheKeyboard:
And if we're talking college DC's.. Venables was the only realistic option. Still leaving you with a guy with no NFL experience coaching guys 8-10 years older than what he is used to.
In my pipe dream mind, I was really hoping we'd look at somebody like Matt House. He would have been a great option, but it was clear from the get go that we weren't going to risk it on somebody as inexperienced as him.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:38 PM 01-24-2019
I said it’s very rare. I didn’t say it hasn’t happened at all.

Take a look around the NFL. Look at all of the DC hires this year. Do you see a trend when it comes to DC’s? It’s pretty obvious.
Are you telling me that the vast majority of NFL coaches, who routinely play things safe to the point where they hamstring their ability for success, are extremely risk-averse and lacking in creativity?

Surely not.
[Reply]
ChiefoftheKeyboard 11:45 PM 01-24-2019
Plus reid had a new qb and new coordinator. Still wanted to compete and worrying about the offense was his focus. Now he can spread his attention around slightly more if needed and further familiarize himself with his new DC in camp.
[Reply]
Page 42 of 324
« First < 323839404142 434445465292142 > Last »
Up