ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 13
1 234511 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>-- Talk to me about Texas Tom's and your experiences there (past/present)
Simply Red 02:22 PM 03-18-2018
Talk to me about Texas Tom's and your experiences there (past/present)

I have great memories of this place. Those plastic army figures encapsulated inbetween booths inside translucent plastic casing, swimming in sand (few will remember those)

We had one on 7-hwy.

Feel free to discuss Taco Via as well, here.

If you're from the Joplin/Carthage area or SE Kansas, maybe discuss Taco Town?

I was reminded of these places when I ate at Del Taco yesterday (here in Atlanta) and noticed they served fries w/ Tacos and offerend Burgers on their menu.

Del Taco was very good - nothing like the crap it once was when it left the Atlanta Burbs in the mid nineties - this 'new' one just opened. They're back w/ a new menu and attitude! - DelTacoReviewBrah

[Reply]
Bugeater 02:24 PM 03-18-2018
Never been to any of the places you've listed.
[Reply]
Simply Red 02:25 PM 03-18-2018
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Never been to any of the places you've listed.
not surprising - you live in Nebraska - so yeah. But they're all good.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:29 PM 03-18-2018
All I remember about Texas Tom’s in Blue Springs are the pork tenderloin sandwich and the weird tacos with shredded lettuce and some kind of white cheese (Parmesan, maybe?).

Del Taco is definitely several notches ahead of Taco Bell. Their macho tacos and burritos are light years beyond the Taco Bell offerings and their breakfast burritos are good, too.

I usually hit Del Taco a few times a year.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:30 PM 03-18-2018
Not about TXTom or Tvia, but I finally figured out what was nagging me about a bit of dining history in KC.

For those who are familiar with the Blue Ridge Paul's Drive-In, does anyone know if the history of the building predates Paul's itself?

I ask, because the roofline always reminded me of something, and I recently saw a little clip on the history of Dogs'n'Suds. Said that their original restaurants were designed by a local architecture student [who went on to work at Frank Lloyd Wright's architecture firm]. And it's pretty distinctive. It's the only place that comes to mind with that specific V-shape to its roof.

[Reply]
Simply Red 02:32 PM 03-18-2018
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
All I remember about Texas Tom’s in Blue Springs are the pork tenderloin sandwich and the weird tacos with shredded lettuce and some kind of white cheese (Parmesan, maybe?).

Del Taco is definitely several notches ahead of Taco Bell. Their macho tacos and burritos are light years beyond the Taco Bell offerings and their breakfast burritos are good, too.

I usually hit Del Taco a few times a year.
It's good stuff. I hadn't been to one in 10 yrs or more - they left Atlanta and have resurfaced as of late.
[Reply]
Bugeater 02:35 PM 03-18-2018
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
not surprising - you live in Nebraska - so yeah. But they're all good.
I...umm...have left Nebraska a couple times.
[Reply]
banecat 02:37 PM 03-18-2018
I haven't been to Texas Tom's in well over ten years now. They were okay. If I recall they had a taco bar. Del Taco also was okay. Both better than Taco Bell. But Taco Bell does have the mexican pizza and baja blast. But not as good as Taco Johns. Or any cantina. On par with just about every tex mex place like taco bueno, taco via, and such
[Reply]
Simply Red 02:37 PM 03-18-2018
A lot of folks were ordering burgers at Del, Dane. I watched the guy cooking them - they looked good. Nice sear... Maybe next time. I'm on an eating healthy kick through the week. But always like talking shitty food nostalgia and memories. ha....
[Reply]
Simply Red 02:38 PM 03-18-2018
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
I...umm...have left Nebraska a couple times.
I know that.
[Reply]
Simply Red 02:39 PM 03-18-2018
Originally Posted by banecat:
I haven't been to Texas Tom's in well over ten years now. They were okay. If I recall they had a taco bar. Del Taco also was okay. Both better than Taco Bell. But Taco Bell does have the mexican pizza and baja blast. But not as good as Taco Johns. Or any cantina. On par with just about every tex mex place like taco bueno, taco via, and such
Back in the eighties - Taco Bell would be in these conversations - but they're shit, now. I'd literally rather eat at BK I think.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:40 PM 03-18-2018
A lot of folks were ordering burgers at Del, Dane. I watched the guy cooking them - they looked good. Nice sear... Maybe next time. I'm on an eating healthy kick through the week. But always like talking shitty food nostalgia and memories. ha....
I had a Del Taco burger about 10 years ago when visiting a buddy in Vegas, as he raved about them.

It was definitely good and better than expected.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:41 PM 03-18-2018
It's good stuff. I hadn't been to one in 10 yrs or more - they left Atlanta and have resurfaced as of late.
Glad to hear that Del Taco revamped.

Had a buddy in law school who was ravenous for it, but none of us wanted to join him there. It wasn't . . . bad, . . . it was just cheap and uninspired. Kind of like if you were drunk alone in a Taco Bell and could make whatever you wanted, as big as you wanted.

The two major ones in my area were both not only closed, but torn down. One for an on-ramp improvement, and the other [which was a real rigamorole] for expressway expansion.

The rigamarole one was because it was so weird-assed a building that preservationists wanted to give it historic status. Basically, where they first built it was ALREADY so cramped that they made the drive through into a circle around the building, instead of a regular line. It's right off a bunch of competing intersections [start of Forest Park Parkway, edge of SLU, right at the crown of Grand Ave] and was a real bitch to get into, out of, and around.

http://www.urbanreviewstl.com/2011/0...d-forest-park/

[Reply]
banecat 02:45 PM 03-18-2018
Back in the eighties - Taco Bell would be in these conversations - but they're shit, now. I'd literally rather eat at BK I think.
Probably so. They are. I go like twice a year for the mexican pizza and the baja blast. Otherwise I'd never go there. But I am one of the few people on earth that doesn't like chipotle anymore. But I didn't know that Del Taco was out here in the Metro. I thought the last one that I saw was in St. Louis, or in Washington
[Reply]
Simply Red 02:46 PM 03-18-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Glad to hear that Del Taco revamped.

Had a buddy in law school who was ravenous for it, but none of us wanted to join him there. It wasn't . . . bad, . . . it was just cheap and uninspired. Kind of like if you were drunk alone in a Taco Bell and could make whatever you wanted, as big as you wanted.

The two major ones in my area were both not only closed, but torn down. One for an on-ramp improvement, and the other [which was a real rigamorole] for expressway expansion.

The rigamarole one was because it was so weird-assed a building that preservationists wanted to give it historic status. Basically, where they first built it was ALREADY so cramped that they made the drive through into a circle around the building, instead of a regular line. It's right off a bunch of competing intersections [start of Forest Park Parkway, edge of SLU, right at the crown of Grand Ave] and was a real bitch to get into, out of, and around.

http://www.urbanreviewstl.com/2011/0...d-forest-park/

Oh that's neat - looks like a restaurant in the Jetsons
[Reply]
Page 1 of 13
1 234511 > Last »
Up