ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 38 of 39
« First < 283435363738 39 >
Nzoner's Game Room>2021 General Fitness thread
Buehler445 11:48 AM 01-02-2021
How's everyone's 2021? These threads have been full of good stuff in years past.

What are we doing this year?
[Reply]
Chiefspants 04:30 PM 02-19-2023
Hey dudes! I posted in the RR about how I've hit a bit of a personal rut. Long story short -- I'm very happy with my life, got a happy marriage, a toddler, and another on the way. But, my wife and I have been too exhausted to keep up mountain biking and rock climbing, two things we did routinely before having our little one. I had so many nice responses to keep up being a good Dad in the other thread, so honestly, I think all I'm looking for is to find a solid 4 day a week at home workout routine.

Funnily enough, part of what hit me is that I used to be able to bench 225 and I know I'm not close to that anymore. I have a bad back, so deadlifts are out for me and I have to be careful to not push myself too much on weight. With that all said -- has anyone found an at home routine in their basement/garage/shed that's worked for them?

Thanks in advance!
[Reply]
Bearcat 05:28 PM 02-19-2023
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Hey dudes! I posted in the RR about how I've hit a bit of a personal rut. Long story short -- I'm very happy with my life, got a happy marriage, a toddler, and another on the way. But, my wife and I have been too exhausted to keep up mountain biking and rock climbing, two things we did routinely before having our little one. I had so many nice responses to keep up being a good Dad in the other thread, so honestly, I think all I'm looking for is to find a solid 4 day a week at home workout routine.

Funnily enough, part of what hit me is that I used to be able to bench 225 and I know I'm not close to that anymore. I have a bad back, so deadlifts are out for me and I have to be careful to not push myself too much on weight. With that all said -- has anyone found an at home routine in their basement/garage/shed that's worked for them?

Thanks in advance!
I started with reddit's "recommended routine" in the body weight fitness sub... you can start anywhere from the very beginning of body hangs before doing pull-ups, to doing nordic curls and bullshit. I really liked the progressions, before getting bored after a couple years and buying a cable rack thing from Costco (still wasn't great for leg day though).
[Reply]
Bearcat 05:33 PM 02-19-2023
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
This thread is a bunch of broken old dudes held together with duct tape giving advice lol
Speaking of, I've had the oddity lately of bruises and swelling on the top of my shoulders recently along with some soreness, and maybe not so coincidentally added dumbbell pullovers, which is one of the few moves I can actually feel in my chest.

Apparently dumbbell chest presses can also present shoulder issues, too, but just found the location of the bruises to be a bit strange, as I don't physically put any weights on my shoulders and don't feel any pain when doing various movements.

Stupid gym is trying to kill me.
[Reply]
DRU 05:40 PM 02-19-2023

Thanks in advance!
Quest 2 VR Headset + SuperNatural + The Thrill of the Fight

Here's a video of me doing SuperNatural: https://youtu.be/-lQLYNOE2gE

It's great for burning calories and helping stay in a deficit to lose weight. It's really fun, and it makes you want to do it.

TTotF - Think Tyson's Punch Out, but you are the little guy. Except it's actually more realistic. It's AWESOME! A single $10 purchase, and you'll have fun while burning calories like crazy. Best value of anything I've ever purchased.

For resistance training I've been using the "Yoga Go" app and the "Home Workout" app on my phone.

Also, I got one of those small stair steppers and I was using it for the first half of every Chiefs game, combined with push-ups, pull-ups, etc. during the commercials.

Gonna have to find something else to do that with during the offseason.

Then of course get your eating right. Low calorie, high protein. You can make all the same crispy / spicy chicken sandwiches, burgers, pizzas, etc. at home for a fraction of the calories as going out.

I've laid all of this out in a doc you may find helpful: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
[Reply]
Bearcat 05:56 PM 02-19-2023
Originally Posted by DRU:

Here's a video of me doing SuperNatural: https://youtu.be/-lQLYNOE2gE
I did the SuperNatural thing recently for the first time and really enjoyed it... I think it was just the default apps, lightsabers (which I preferred) and punching at orbs, but need to research what else is out there in terms of games and what not.
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:03 PM 02-19-2023
Yes, please.

[Reply]
Buehler445 06:06 PM 02-19-2023

Thanks in advance!
What I try to do at home is Yoga. In my line of work my degraded balance is far more worrisome than any loss of functional strength. I also do some PT stuff on some jankety parts of my shit here.

I tried doing some strength stuff at home, and found the drive to the gym to be necessary. Granted, Everywhere in town is within 5 minutes of my house, but when I tried to do it at home I'd find other shit to do. But when I gotta get my shit and drive there, it got me in the right headspace and get a better workout in.

But I'm probably just a lazy piece of shit.
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 07:14 PM 02-19-2023
crawl
walk
hike
run
new hips (2 of them) this past year for me. Got out on the mountain bike 6 weeks ago. North table mountain in my backyard and beer in the fridge when I get back.
[Reply]
Bearcat 05:17 PM 02-21-2023
Originally Posted by DRU:
Bought one, it's fun.

Golf+ and a shooter game came with it and both have been fun. Started a 30 day trial of Supernatural and will see how it goes... not sure it has enough music to keep it interesting for a full year subscription, but I do like the light sabers.

Also did a few of the Chiefs VR/360 videos (and found myself from the Bills divisional game last year)... and did a couple of roller coaster videos, and one actually made me a bit dizzy (and I've never experienced that even on a roller coaster, heh).

The NFL game looks okay, but I feel like it would be a bit of a novelty that wears out quickly if you're just a QB standing there throwing passes and handing off.

Figured I'd take it slow to buy new games and what not, especially since I'm sure many are like the Golf+ game and require in-app purchases to do more stuff.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 08:18 PM 02-22-2023
Does anyone do Lu raises? I was thinking about using them but I have questions as I've read they can be rough on the rotator cuff?
[Reply]
penguinz 08:02 AM 02-23-2023
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Does anyone do Lu raises? I was thinking about using them but I have questions as I've read they can be rough on the rotator cuff?
I would probably avoid if you have existing RC issues. Otherwise a good lift. Key is to not ego lift on it. This is a lightweight lift
[Reply]
penguinz 08:05 AM 02-23-2023
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Speaking of, I've had the oddity lately of bruises and swelling on the top of my shoulders recently along with some soreness, and maybe not so coincidentally added dumbbell pullovers, which is one of the few moves I can actually feel in my chest.

Apparently dumbbell chest presses can also present shoulder issues, too, but just found the location of the bruises to be a bit strange, as I don't physically put any weights on my shoulders and don't feel any pain when doing various movements.

Stupid gym is trying to kill me.
If that is the only lift you really feel in your chest then it is most likely a form issue. Same for dumbbell press. If done correctly it is much safer on shoulders than barbell.
[Reply]
penguinz 08:07 AM 02-23-2023
Anyone ever been to the Arnold Classic? Thinking about going next year.

Is there anything fun to do in Columbus besides breath bad air?
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:18 AM 02-23-2023
Originally Posted by penguinz:
If that is the only lift you really feel in your chest then it is most likely a form issue. Same for dumbbell press. If done correctly it is much safer on shoulders than barbell.
Dips, too, but once strained/pulled/whatever something in my chest and have been a bit afraid to go back to them.

Guess I should clarify it's the only one I feel while I'm doing it, as sometimes there is a little soreness the next day to hint that I might actually be using some chest muscles, heh.

But yeah, I figure it could be form, which I've been focusing on lately, or maybe needing to lighten up on weight so my pansy chest can get some action. :-)
[Reply]
penguinz 08:30 AM 02-23-2023
https://builtwithscience.com/fitness...n-bench-press/ gives some good advice for fixing form.

Never a bad idea to drop down in weight and make sure you have form locked in tight every so often.

Only time a phone should be brought out in gym is to record form during a lift.
[Reply]
Page 38 of 39
« First < 283435363738 39 >
Up