ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 14
« First < 3910111213 14 >
Nzoner's Game Room>CBA is heading to the players for a vote
ShowtimeSBMVP 12:10 AM 02-26-2020

The NFLPA Board of Player Representatives voted to send the proposed collective bargaining agreement to the membership for a vote. #NFLPA #CBA

— George Atallah (@GeorgeAtallah) February 26, 2020

CBA goes out to players for a vote at 9 am ET. Voting window will stay open 7 days, per source.

— Dan Graziano (@DanGrazianoESPN) March 5, 2020

An update on our CBA vote: pic.twitter.com/d8P5KoFYP6

— NFLPA (@NFLPA) March 9, 2020

[Reply]
Mecca 06:37 AM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
Players act like they havr power. They dont and Okung is insane if he thinks he will win. The damn thing gives the 48% revenue. Thats somehow and insult. This is proof that players dont think like regular people.
They would have power if they stood together like the MLBPA but they don't. Baseball players never get fucked and always get what they want because they will strike without question.
[Reply]
Jerok 06:47 AM 03-10-2020
Have they signed this piece of shit yet
[Reply]
old_geezer 06:53 AM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Maybe so, but I think his lawyers make a valid point about the 10-year situation. Owners want to lock stuff down, knowing that the TV money is going to explode during the next 10 years. That's probably not a great deal for the players. I think the players should be pushing to knock this down to a 5-6 year deal.
I don't really get involved in the money aspect of football so this is just an observation from a long time fan; I think this next contract may be the last big increase for the NFL. I don't see the audience growing much more. It's like everything else that gets too much TV exposure.It grows stale. Already I skip several games because I'm not interested in either team and if they move teams outside of the USA there's not a snowball's chance in hell I'll care about any of them. Long story short: I think football may have peaked and they better take advantage while they can. :-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:33 AM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by old_geezer:
I don't really get involved in the money aspect of football so this is just an observation from a long time fan; I think this next contract may be the last big increase for the NFL. I don't see the audience growing much more. It's like everything else that gets too much TV exposure.It grows stale. Already I skip several games because I'm not interested in either team and if they move teams outside of the USA there's not a snowball's chance in hell I'll care about any of them. Long story short: I think football may have peaked and they better take advantage while they can. :-)
The NFL still has, by FAR, the largest TV audiences in America. There's nothing really even close these days. A Thursday Night NFL Game will have higher ratings than the World Series or the NBA Finals.

While programs like Two And A Half Men had ratings as high as 20 million viewers a week, the proliferation of streaming services and cutting cable have drastically reduced weekly Prime Time OTA broadcast ratings, regardless of the network or time slot.

The bottom line is that the NFL draws the most eyeballs each and every week, which is why the OTA networks and Streaming Services are willing to shell out record licensing fees in order to broadcast the games.

And once gambling is added to the equation, which should happen within the next 5 years. the salary cap is going to grow to ridiculous new heights, like $300 million dollars or more.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 11:01 AM 03-10-2020
And meanwhile the stock values for the major media companies that the NFL is hoping to negotiate with for a massive new media rights deal... Comcast, Disney, Fox Corp., ViacomCBS to name a few... have gone way down the past few weeks.

The players seem completely oblivious to the macro-economic realities of the biggest revenue driver for the proposed new CBA... the upcoming new media rights deal.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 11:16 AM 03-10-2020
JC Tretter elected new president of the NFLPA
[Reply]
Mecca 11:17 AM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
JC Tretter elected new president of the NFLPA
Considering he has a labor degree from Cornell that's not a bad pick.
[Reply]
SAUTO 11:44 AM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by Hoover:
No the players are out of their league in these sorts of negotiations imo.

They need to do what the owners do, hire a professional to handle their affairs. There is a reason Roger makes 40m a year. Players vote in some dude and think they can get what they want. Never going to happen. If they didn’t want to play 17 games every star player should have been saying so all fucking year.
i thought they DID hire an outside professional...

what is de. smith?
[Reply]
SAUTO 11:46 AM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Maybe so, but I think his lawyers make a valid point about the 10-year situation. Owners want to lock stuff down, knowing that the TV money is going to explode during the next 10 years. That's probably not a great deal for the players. I think the players should be pushing to knock this down to a 5-6 year deal.
i dont get this line of thinking...

it doesnt matter what the TV deals do, the player are going to get at least 48.8 percent of it.

how do people not understand this?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:01 PM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
i dont get this line of thinking...

it doesnt matter what the TV deals do, the player are going to get at least 48.8 percent of it.

how do people not understand this?

That’s TV-only revenue. Doesn’t account for the gambling revenue, which is expected to infuse even more cash.

End of the day, I’ll always side with players first, owners second.
[Reply]
Kiimo 12:19 PM 03-10-2020
Never underestimate fans' ability to side with owners over "greedy" players because the players are easier to understand than a billionaire who rakes regular people over the coals. It took how many years to make fans understand that we shouldn't use our own taxes to buy a billionaire a stadium?
[Reply]
ShowtimeSBMVP 12:20 PM 03-10-2020
Monday is gonna be crazy.

NFL’s franchise tag deadline is 11:59.59 Monday am et.

Legal tampering starts one second later Monday.

Quite a week ahead.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 10, 2020

[Reply]
FloridaMan88 12:29 PM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
Never underestimate fans' ability to side with owners over "greedy" players because the players are easier to understand than a billionaire who rakes regular people over the coals. It took how many years to make fans understand that we shouldn't use our own taxes to buy a billionaire a stadium?
It’s called siding with reality.

If the players vote down the current proposed CBA, what is their viable plan to get a better deal?

Go on strike? See how well that worked the last time NFL players tried to strike in 1987 (replacement players and star players such as Lawrence Taylor crossing the picket line, etc.)
[Reply]
Mecca 12:30 PM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
It’s called siding with reality.

If the players vote down the current proposed CBA, what is their viable plan to get a better deal?

Go on strike? See how well that worked the last time NFL players tried to strike in 1987 (replacement players and star players such as Lawrence Taylor crossing the picket line, etc.)
Once again, if they would use the example of the MLB and realize they have power if they'd stick together, they'd get what they want.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 12:38 PM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Once again, if they would use the example of the MLB and realize they have power if they'd stick together, they'd get what they want.
But that will never happen.

NFL players have shorter careers, and lower pay for the “rank and file” players compared to their MLB counterparts.

If the NFLPA decides to play maximum hardball by rejecting the current CBA, going on strike, etc, they’ll likely face the reality of eventually having to accept a worse deal and a broken union with many of the “rank and file” players revolting agains the hardline stance of the union leadership.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 14
« First < 3910111213 14 >
Up