Page 236 of 934
« First < 136186226232233234235236 237238239240246286336736 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:48 PM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
I've proven that the best way to get the market to drop 1k points is for me to buy in. Next time I'll give you a heads up so you can short.
LOL. I put some in January. Same boat brother.

There was a period there if I sold a crop it would immediately rally. Motherfucker, I hit the bottom line 4 or 5 in row. I told dad to wait 60 days and dump his....and then send me a commission.

I’ve done better subsequently but my god I was bad there for awhile.
[Reply]
BigRichard 04:38 PM 02-27-2020
I asked this before but I think I might take a bit of a risk here possibly. We have a very substantial chunk of change I have sitting in a 2% savings account that we got from selling our house and plan to use it for a down payment on our next house. I don't think we will be buying really soon here so I am really considering dropping it into stocks/index funds if the market drops much more and riding it out for a little while. It could bring in a chunk of money. Would you do it?
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:43 PM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
I asked this before but I think I might take a bit of a risk here possibly. We have a very substantial chunk of change I have sitting in a 2% savings account that we got from selling our house and plan to use it for a down payment on our next house. I don't think we will be buying really soon here so I am really considering dropping it into stocks/index funds if the market drops much more and riding it out for a little while. It could bring in a chunk of money. Would you do it?
I'm an aggressive investor, but gosh, I don't know if I'd do that. If you need it for a down payment, you wouldn't want to lose any part of it, and I don't know if the upside is worth the risk. I'd probably keep it in a no-risk account like you're doing.

I guess it's a matter of risk tolerance. We just lost 10 percent of our stock values in three days. What would you do if that happened while your money is in it? Would it be an annoyance or would it derail the home purchase?
[Reply]
BigRichard 04:53 PM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I'm an aggressive investor, but gosh, I don't know if I'd do that. If you need it for a down payment, you wouldn't want to lose any part of it, and I don't know if the upside is worth the risk. I'd probably keep it in a no-risk account like you're doing.

I guess it's a matter of risk tolerance. We just lost 10 percent of our stock values in three days. What would you do if that happened while your money is in it? Would it be an annoyance or would it derail the home purchase?
I feel it would be more of a annoyance than anything. We wouldn't starve... that is for certain.
[Reply]
ghak99 04:58 PM 02-27-2020
I probably would part of it. ...but I regularly invest in shit that could stop breathing at any minute, so wtf do I know.:-)
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:58 PM 02-27-2020
I've been going through a similar scenario where I've had a large amount of $$$ sitting in my savings account since summer last year with the intention of it being a down payment on our next home. Super Bowl Sunday is when the housing inventory really heats up here, so we chose to let it sit ~6 months in savings. Our place is currently under contract and we just went under contract on our new home that is everything we want and more. That said, the difference in 25K below our budget was substantial in home/neighborhood quality compared to going 25K above our budget. So in hindsight, could I have made a litte more money spending 6 months in market, maybe, but the risk of losing and having to settle for a lower tier home would not have been worth it to me.
[Reply]
lewdog 05:39 PM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
I've proven that the best way to get the market to drop 1k points is for me to buy in. Next time I'll give you a heads up so you can short.
You’ve caught a falling knife!!!

Congrats.
[Reply]
eDave 05:54 PM 02-27-2020
Yeah, I've been buying into the teeth of this, and I clearly started too early. I hate pandemics.
Catching a falling knife is hard. Tried it with BTC, which is dropping as well. Cooler heads, Rain Man.
[Reply]
eDave 05:58 PM 02-27-2020
Spoiler!

[Reply]
TwistedChief 06:02 PM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I've been going through a similar scenario where I've had a large amount of $$$ sitting in my savings account since summer last year with the intention of it being a down payment on our next home. Super Bowl Sunday is when the housing inventory really heats up here, so we chose to let it sit ~6 months in savings. Our place is currently under contract and we just went under contract on our new home that is everything we want and more. That said, the difference in 25K below our budget was substantial in home/neighborhood quality compared to going 25K above our budget. So in hindsight, could I have made a litte more money spending 6 months in market, maybe, but the risk of losing and having to settle for a lower tier home would not have been worth it to me.
The answer depends primarily on your time horizon (and your risk tolerance to a much lesser extent). If the down payment on the house is going to be made in the next year, preserve capital and keep the money in your savings account. If the down payment is 5 years forward, you have a lot more reason to put it in the market. If something in between, it's a grey area and perhaps diversify between both.

Risk tolerance matters too. For most people, if you have 100k you're saving as a down payment, a 10k loss is going to be far more difficult to stomach than the extent to which you're going to enjoy a 10k gain. But people are cut from different cloths.
[Reply]
kstater 06:14 PM 02-27-2020
Yeah, don't take risk with something you need in the relative short term.
Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
[Reply]
ThaVirus 07:06 PM 02-27-2020
Dang. I was going to sell some off and lock in my gains, and by the time I got to work and turned my computer on, it's gone from up another 20 percent to down 14 percent. Good thing I fastened my seat belt.
Why did it fall today, I wonder?
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:20 PM 02-27-2020
Keep in mind , this virus will slow down when warmer weather prevails. Viruses love Cold.

I don't know the time frame for vaccines to develop but I'm pretty sure there's a rush on it.

This will be over soon and the stock market will rejoice.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:20 PM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Profit takers.
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:06 PM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
I'm wondering if maybe Gilead's news could have put it back. Or that Israeli company's news. It'll be a race to market if it even works. If it goes back up tomorrow I'll do a little profit taking since I'm still up 10 percent in two days.
[Reply]
Page 236 of 934
« First < 136186226232233234235236 237238239240246286336736 > Last »
Up