« First < 85135175181182183184185 186187188189195235285685 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 06:10 PM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Boeing.
The 737 MAX issue is going to have long-term consequences.

If anything, take a flier on GE.

Or.. you know. Just buy the fucking index since you can't beat the fuckin index.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 06:21 PM 03-14-2019
Boeing will be a great value - in like three to six months when Wall Street realizes that the 737 pipeline was 60% of Boeing's revenue, and that it is going to take way longer than anticipated to finish the investigation and implement FAA approved fixes.
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:25 PM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:

Or.. you know. Just buy the fucking index since you can't beat the fuckin index.
The 787 was grounded when they had the battery issue after its launch, and that was just a blip. I'm betting that this will be the same thing. It unfortunately caused a bunch of people to die, whereas the 787 problem didn't. But I don't think the deaths are going to drag Boeing down.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 07:05 PM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
The 787 was grounded when they had the battery issue after its launch, and that was just a blip. I'm betting that this will be the same thing. It unfortunately caused a bunch of people to die, whereas the 787 problem didn't. But I don't think the deaths are going to drag Boeing down.
Dreamliners are to Porsche Cayennes as 737 MAXs are to Jetta TDIs.

VLKAY is fucked over worse if they're needing to fix an innately fatal issue with Jettas compared to a potentially fatal issue with Cayennes.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:18 PM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:

Those speculating that the market may only return 2-3% in the next decade are saying actively managed funds may surpass index fund gains if gains really do loathe that much.
[Reply]
EPodolak 08:32 PM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Those speculating that the market may only return 2-3% in the next decade are saying actively managed funds may surpass index fund gains if gains really do loathe that much.
There are always a handful of active funds that beat the market. Which few, and for how long, is a big crap shoot. Best of luck if that's your strategy though.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:37 PM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by EPodolak:
There are always a handful of active funds that beat the market. Which few, and for how long, is a big crap shoot. Best of luck if that's your strategy though.
It's not. My 401k and ROTH IRA are invested 80% in index funds.

I do have a brokerage account and use it to generate some realized gains and income through the year.

I think a mixture of both is fine, but still believe mostly in index funds as well. Just thought those touting actively managed funds coming back as preferred investing methods over index funds was interesting.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:19 PM 03-14-2019
The 787 issues were pretty straightforward, and it was only down for a month. This appears to be a software issue that is much more nebulous. If it were straightforward, they would have fixed it after the first crash.

I'd be very surprised if they're flying again for at least a few months.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:45 AM 03-18-2019
Got back in to some ACB this morning
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 06:07 PM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
I'd love for Tencent to keep dropping. Keeping my eye on that
They're supposed to IPO tencent music later this year
Did anyone end up buying in? I ignored this because I wasn't really interested in a music company that I assumed was losing money

It ended up going public on Dec. 12th. Not a great time obviously. It IPO'd at 14 and instantly dropped to 12. The $14 valuation was about a 20 billion market cap. Earlier in the year they'd thought 25-30 or more.

When I looked into it, it seemed amazing so I bought some on 12/18 at 12.95. It's actually profitable already. Tencent bought out their biggest competitors in 2016 so they own the top 4 music app/sites in China. They have exclusivity agreements with Sony, Warner, etc. where they can deny any competitors rights to play songs. 70% revenue growth with 800 million MAU

Earnings are tomorrow after hours. I'm up 49% in a few months. I'm going to assume it'll pull back unless the outlook is amazing but I think I'll hold and see how the report looks.
[Reply]
Great Expectations 03:05 PM 03-20-2019
Medtronics (MDT) took another small hit today. Their upper mgmt keeps buying back massive amounts of stock. $6B last week. They’ve been doing this for awhile. I noticed it a couple of years ago and bought in around $76. Thinking about reupping. IT had some resistence around $100 a share, but I think it could bust through that.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:54 PM 03-20-2019
I saw this article:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/19/pass...aboolainternal - Passive investing automatically tracking indexes now controls nearly half the US stock market

and it raised a question for me.

What would happen if 100 percent of assets were in index funds?
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:05 PM 03-20-2019
I saw this article:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/19/pass...aboolainternal - Passive investing automatically tracking indexes now controls nearly half the US stock market

and it raised a question for me.

What would happen if 100 percent of assets were in index funds?

[Reply]
RunKC 08:35 AM 04-07-2019
So pissed I didn’t put a ton of money on several stocks in December when things were way down.

Amazon, wayfair, Apple. Goddamn all of those stocks have bounced back big time in the 1st Q.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:02 AM 04-07-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
So pissed I didn’t put a ton of money on several stocks in December when things were way down.

Amazon, wayfair, Apple. Goddamn all of those stocks have bounced back big time in the 1st Q.
Everyone's did. My investment account was so bad my guy called and asked to move things around to show a loss. Of course I said yes. Now all better.
[Reply]
Page 185 of 934
« First < 85135175181182183184185 186187188189195235285685 > Last »
Up